August 2014 Carnival from NYC

MATHA531

I just completed a real neat 5 day cruise from NYC to St. John and Halifax in Atlantic Canada and it was real neat; so much so that I decided this would be an annual thing for me.

Much to my chagrin, despite the fact this cruise as well as several others just before and just after was totally sold out, there is only one cruise on Carnival from NYC next August to only St. John for 4 days and it is at the end of August.

I don't get it. I don't understand how these schedules are made up. Carnival has a cruise several times in August to the caribean. It's hot enough as it is in NYC in August. Who would really want to head down there in the summer (I know some people do). With Carnival also pulling out of Europe, something just doesn't sit right.

Anybody with any ideas why these things are done the way they're done.

I there is only one cruise on Carnival from NYC next August to only St. John quote]

Some one more knowledgeable than me will chime in on this. But I saw a post in the CC news section that there's a new environmental law proposed for next year. I can't find the link but remember it talked about Carnival repositioning.

The law requires cruises within so many miles of the US coast to use a special fuel. Cruises from the Northeast stay within the controlled emission radius longer so they are repositioning some ships to places where they can sail out of the reduced emission zone quicker.

You're right about the fuel. As of 1/1/15,ships operating in the North America Emissions Control Area must begin using a low-sulfur fuel that is much more expensive than the current fuel. Canada cruises operate entirely within the Emissions Control Area, so Carnival is reducing the number of Canada cruises beginning next summer. Baltimore is also affected; since ships from Baltimore take a long time to reach the Atlantic, they operate a significant amount of time within the Emissions Control Area, and Carnival will no longer sail from Baltimore after next year.

Archived