Private Private Tour in St. Petersburg

I am thinking of going with TJ and would like to know from anyone who has toured with them, how their visa process works. Not wanting to be stuck in customs during these magical days.

Haven't used TJ, but plenty of CC members have.

They have the same excellent reputation as others, google for independent reviews including on CC & TripAdvisor.

The process is the same as the other local tour operators - they send your tour confirmation by e-mail, you print-off & present it to immigration in lieu of a visa.

Delays at immigration depend on you & others on your excursion, not the tour operator. On the first day its ideal to be one of the first off the ship, on the second (& third if applicable) the immigration process is much quicker.

No worries :cool:

JB :)

Has anyone used the private car option offered by the cruise ship? I'm looking at Royal Caribbean's excursions, called them, and they gave no particulars except ask the excursion desk onboard.

We would like to visit two museums not on the usual tours, and I am beginning to think that is not possible without visas.

Thanks for any help.

Has anyone used the private car option offered by the cruise ship? I'm looking at Royal Caribbean's excursions, called them, and they gave no particulars except ask the excursion desk onboard.

We would like to visit two museums not on the usual tours, and I am beginning to think that is not possible without visas.

Thanks for any help.

Not a helpful reply from RCI.

If visas are needed, asking on board will of course be too late.

I'd be inclined to ask them for a specific answer, further up the chain if necessary - cruise lines are pretty awful at answering visa questions, but leaving this question un-answered affects their income !!

That said, I think you're pretty safe. The crew will give you an excursion ticket, similar to their coach tours, and you present that at immigration instead of a visa.

I did look into a private car through our ship (not RCI) and the cost was staggering. If RCI is the same (aren't they all? ;)) I have no doubt you can do far better booking this with one of the accredited visa-free local tour operators.

Edited by John Bull

So, I thought I'd post here instead of starting a new thread, and I know I have been active with all kinds of sporadic questions. This will be my first time outside of the U.S. with family(I have been to some nice and not so nice places on my own so having a bad time only affected me). I would really like to make this trip special and am having a hard time figuring out what to do in SPB.

I have semi-decided on a private tour with TJ(any bad reviews from any CCers?) which would be a two day tour and I want to add an evening ballet(Has anyone done this?) but I am still weary of going with a private company. I have gone with a private excursion before where my only worry was that I might miss the ship, but now my worry is the following:

1.) How do most people pay for their private SPB excursions with TJ? Not what the company will accept but the most common way you guys have paid.

2.) Does the ship(Royal Caribbean) have a curfew that we must adhere to?

3.) Is there a way to spend the night in St Petersburg the first night and experience the nightlife?

4.) What are the 'must-see' locations and what should we steer clear from to gain more time at other locations?

A little background, we vacation for the history experience, so seeing a lot of artifacts and historic art/monuments are a must. We also love to experience local foods and drinks. Any help will be appreciated.

I have semi-decided on a private tour with TJ(any bad reviews from any CCers?) which would be a two day tour and I want to add an evening ballet(Has anyone done this?)

Unless you've gotten your own visa in addition to arranging to tour with a licensed company like TJ, you cannot move around the city unless you're accompanied by a tour guide. This is not a debate about whether or not you can cope spending some DIY time. This is a statement of Russian law.

If you want to attend the ballet, you must hire your tour guide for extra time in the evening or find a group experience with some other official tour company. There has been a recent thread in which someone asked about going to the ballet. From her question, it appears some tour company offers a group experience as a cost-saving strategy.

1.) How do most people pay for their private SPB excursions with TJ? Not what the company will accept but the most common way you guys have paid.

I'm not sure why you think any of us pay some way other than the way the company tells us to pay. Can you explain why you're asking this question?

Whether I'm traveling in SPB or any other country anywhere in the world, I come prepared to pay how and when the tour company tells me.

If you don't get any answers here, ask this same question on the RCI board.

3.) Is there a way to spend the night in St Petersburg the first night and experience the nightlife?

Yes. The way to eat out in a local restaurant or take a walk or anything else is the same as going to the ballet. You cannot be on your own in SPB if you haven't gotten your own visa.

"What are the 'must-see' locations and what should we steer clear from to gain more time at other locations?"

In the process of choosing a private tour company, did you read the description of the tours each company was offering? If so, you probably noticed that the list of places each one visited for a similar level tour was the same. (Obviously, shorter length tours didn't go as many places, but assuming you're comparing apples to apples, the tours all go the same places.) That's because the companies have determined those are the locations most tourists want to visit. Why don't you begin by seeing how you feel about the places on the list and, then, if you have some doubts about a particular destination people will be in a better position to help you.

Certainly, based on the little we know about you ("seeing a lot of artifacts and historic art/monuments are a must") it appears you are going to enjoy all the places that you'll visit on the typical tour company list.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

I'm not sure why you think any of us pay some way other than the way the company tells us to pay. Can you explain why you're asking this question?

Maybe you misunderstood my question, I am asking what was the most popular form of payment. Cash, credit card, etc. When I stated "Not what the company accepts" I meant I wasn't looking for a response like "Most companies accept all forms of credit cards, travelers checks, cash, etc." I am wondering what people who have already toured have found to be the most convenient way.

Thanks for the answers to the other questions as well.

I have semi-decided on a private tour with TJ(any bad reviews from any CCers?) which would be a two day tour and I want to add an evening ballet(Has anyone done this?) but I am still weary of going with a private company. I have gone with a private excursion before where my only worry was that I might miss the ship, but now my worry is the following:

4.) What are the 'must-see' locations and what should we steer clear from to gain more time at other locations?

0) Lots of folk have added the ballet or the Russian folklore show or other evening diversions. Most (all?) tour operators will only add an evening event if you've booked the day with them, they don't offer the evening as a stand-alone. On standard tours, those going to the ballet are taken back to the ship at the end of the day & collected an hour or two later - the start time for the ballet allows that window, & folk will want to dress more formally for the evening, it might also allow time for snacking in ship's buffet. For other events, the day may run into the evening perhaps with a quick bite in a local bar or restaurant - it all depends on what fits in with the timing. If you have booked all-private I guess you can choose between maximising your time ashore or zipping back to the ship between day & evening - for the ballet you'd want to zip back to change.

Missing the ship is something I've never heard of in St Pete's - local operators arrange their tours to visit sights handy to the ship at the end of the last day so that if there's been a hold-up those final sights can be curtailed.

1) We chose to pay in USD cash, which we bought in the UK before the cruise. This was because the price was quoted in USD, so it avoided any misunderstandings over exchange rates or complications with plastic. That's what we chose to do, others have chosen other ways.

2) The ship will not have a curfew, but I don't know whether immigration desks are open all-night - you do have to go thro immigration when you return to the ship. Certainly they're open late into the evening. Be guided by TJ on this one.

3) I think you have to have a visa to overnite off-the-ship in a hotel, but I may be wrong. Something very few cruisers will have done, so you may not get a definitive answer here. Again, check with TJ.

4) All subjective. As PNN's reply, the most popular sights are on tour operators' standard itineraries and seem to fit your needs. But there's probably a week's worth of other places.

0) Lots of folk have added the ballet or the Russian folklore show or other evening diversions. Most (all?) tour operators will only add an evening event if you've booked the day with them, they don't offer the evening as a stand-alone. On standard tours, those going to the ballet are taken back to the ship at the end of the day & collected an hour or two later - the start time for the ballet allows that window, & folk will want to dress more formally for the evening, it might also allow time for snacking in ship's buffet. For other events, the day may run into the evening perhaps with a quick bite in a local bar or restaurant - it all depends on what fits in with the timing. If you have booked all-private I guess you can choose between maximising your time ashore or zipping back to the ship between day & evening - for the ballet you'd want to zip back to change.

Missing the ship is something I've never heard of in St Pete's - local operators arrange their tours to visit sights handy to the ship at the end of the last day so that if there's been a hold-up those final sights can be curtailed.

1) We chose to pay in USD cash, which we bought in the UK before the cruise. This was because the price was quoted in USD, so it avoided any misunderstandings over exchange rates or complications with plastic. That's what we chose to do, others have chosen other ways.

2) The ship will not have a curfew, but I don't know whether immigration desks are open all-night - you do have to go thro immigration when you return to the ship. Certainly they're open late into the evening. Be guided by TJ on this one.

3) I think you have to have a visa to overnite off-the-ship in a hotel, but I may be wrong. Something very few cruisers will have done, so you may not get a definitive answer here. Again, check with TJ.

4) All subjective. As PNN's reply, the most popular sights are on tour operators' standard itineraries and seem to fit your needs. But there's probably a week's worth of other places.

Thanks! That pretty much answered all my worries. I didn't even think of getting the cash while in the UK. Very much appreciated!

Maybe you misunderstood my question, I am asking what was the most popular form of payment. Cash, credit card, etc. When I stated "Not what the company accepts" I meant I wasn't looking for a response like "Most companies accept all forms of credit cards, travelers checks, cash, etc." I am wondering what people who have already toured have found to be the most convenient way.

Thanks for the answers to the other questions as well.

The list of options to pay is actually a lot shorter.

Unless a tour company specifically tells you it wants traveler's checks, don't get them. Few admissions, tour companies, retail stores, restaurants, stores still accept traveler's checks.

Checks are equally problematic since, for every place other than SPB, they must be written in the currency of the country you'll be visiting. Once you're into the bother and expense of getting your bank to cut you a check in a foreign currency, that option becomes unappealing. Now, I know that SPB tour companies deal in US dollars, so checks may actually be an option. (Our tour company didn't offer me that choice so I doubt other companies will either; practices are pretty standard.) I'm assuming that any tour company that accepts checks will want them well in advance so they will have plenty of time to clear before the tour takes place.

That leaves basically two options: credit card in advance of the tour or paying in cash -- in the currency specified -- the day of the tour.

If given the choice, I like to pay by credit card in advance of the tour. I hire tour companies I've researched so I feel comfortable paying in advance. But this isn't always possible; sometimes cash is the only option.

The discussion about whether to get cash in advance or use an ATM in the country you're visiting is worth its own discussion. You'll get different answers from different people.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Another thought to consider - TJ's and other main tour companies offer two - three levels of tours on 1,2, or 3 day packages. So take a look - generally there is a lower paces and a 'stepped up' option with corresponding pricing. The third option could include the Faberge museum. I know that TJ offers a variety of evening options that you can add on.

When we are quoted in USD, we often pay in USD. Again, it erases the conversion factor. If we are quoted in Euro, we hit an ATM. Once we are there. Our second choice is plastic - for others the opposite is true.

Anastasia and Red Door seem to be two tour groups who specialize in small private tours. Maybe reach out to them?

Thank you. I have now received quotes from two companies for a small private tour of museums.

I'm still not understanding the whole visa clearance thing. We are in port for 3 days and have the second day reserved through our roll call for Moscow. One of my quotes for the third day museum tour is from the same tour company that will take us to Moscow. We asked that company for a one day general tour (not private) for the first day, and they said they did not do the one day tour for ships in port for 3 days. So can we take a ship tour the first day and still get through immigration the next day using a private tour? Or have we already used the ship visa clearance and can't use another company's?

Finally (I hope), the other quote is much lower for the third day museum tour. So could I take a ship tour the first day, use another company the second day, and a third company the third day? I have searched the boards and see that most people reserve a private company for all 3 days so don't have this issue. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. I have now received quotes from two companies for a small private tour of museums.

I'm still not understanding the whole visa clearance thing. We are in port for 3 days and have the second day reserved through our roll call for Moscow. One of my quotes for the third day museum tour is from the same tour company that will take us to Moscow. We asked that company for a one day general tour (not private) for the first day, and they said they did not do the one day tour for ships in port for 3 days. So can we take a ship tour the first day and still get through immigration the next day using a private tour? Or have we already used the ship visa clearance and can't use another company's?

Finally (I hope), the other quote is much lower for the third day museum tour. So could I take a ship tour the first day, use another company the second day, and a third company the third day? I have searched the boards and see that most people reserve a private company for all 3 days so don't have this issue. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

A lot of local operators only offer a two-day tour, unless a ship is in for just a one-day port of call visit (some ships do).

To go through immigration, you need a tour ticket for that day & approx time.

These are tour tickets, not "visas" - tours are visa-free. Hence the need to show tour tickets at immigration

A lot of ship's tours are half-day, anyone on a three day visit could go on six half-day tours & two evening functions, each with a separate ticket.

Yes, you can go on a combination of ship's / local operator's tours if you want.

No worries :)

As long as you take the correct ticket with you each time.

Edited by John Bull

A lot of local operators only offer a two-day tour, unless a ship is in for just a one-day port of call visit (some ships do).

To go through immigration, you need a tour ticket for that day & approx time.

These are tour tickets, not "visas" - tours are visa-free. Hence the need to show tour tickets at immigration

A lot of ship's tours are half-day, anyone on a three day visit could go on six half-day tours & two evening functions, each with a separate ticket.

Yes, you can go on a combination of ship's / local operator's tours if you want.

No worries :)

As long as you take the correct ticket with you each time.

Wow! I have been so frustrated trying to figure this out. Thank you so much, John, for this great explanation.

Wrong.

I'm not sure why you're saying "wrong." I just looked at the documentation I have to get off the ship when we visit SPB. At the top of the page, it says "Tour Ticket." The rest of the information details my name/husband's name, ship, dates of our visit, start and end time of the daily excursions, and the name of the tour company.

Neither the word "visa" nor any language to the effect that this document serves in lieu of a visa appears.

Since I have provided our passport numbers, I assume the tour company has registered us in some way and that will be all we need to enter the country.

Some clarifications are needed, situations change and what was common a few years ago may not be valid now.

Payment is usually done with a credit card but that can be a problem since many visitors, particularly from North America have cards that are not accepted everywhere(non pin and chip) but cards issued in EU and UK don't have any problem. It depends what terminal the operator is using.

Cash needs to be in Dollars or euros and with advanced permission, Pounds. No others would be readily accepted. You can change most currencies for Rubles however yourself in exchange offices here. Don't get Rubles outside Russia, you will get a horrible exchange rate from your bank.

Time limit returning to the ship. There is a clause in the law that specifies cruise passengers are not to use overnight accommodations it does not prohibit staying out all night. That is an option since the city is alive with activity until dawn when people go to sleep if at all, during White Nights.

A visa is not needed for only 2 or 3 days in port, with the prices this year based on the weak ruble, there are bargains to be had in customized tours or just walking tours or private tours that include any times and activities you want. The ships are outrageously expensive for private tours through their contractor, or booking a van, driver and guide is about $1200 a day when local tour operators can supply the same van driver and guide for $300 so you can fill it with your family or cruise mates.

Full private tours with all the main sights but with only a couple or 3 people can be had for $300 but the ship charges $600 or more. Walking tours for those who want street level interaction with the city start at about $40 that include visa free entry.

Night time is almost unlimited in activities such as jazz clubs, concerts, fine dining, or just pubbing. The ship offers tourist ballet and a folk show, most of the independent tour operators offer the same ones, usually a bit lower in price, around $60-70. You can also get Free-Time at night to do as you please within reason, or get a car, and driver for a reasonable amount. The choices are a lot wider than what most people do, the same traditional evening events of folk show or tourist ballet. If you are a ballet fan, you will not want that offering but there are world class ballet performances somewhere in the city almost every night. Tickets are higher but the level of performance is worth it. I have seen a lot more interesting evening activities being offered such as a master class in Russian cooking. Folk shows have dropped in popularity among cruisers in recent years and ballet never was very popular so having a lot of low cost alternatives is good news.

It really is not up to the guide, there are many restrictions in itinerary flexibility. For example unless you are buying all the tickets at the door, some of the most visited venues work on the appointment time basis. If you agreed to an itinerary that included, say Catherine Palace entry at 10:30, the guide has 30 minute window to use those tickets or they become invalid and the provider of the tickets to the guide could be fined thousands of dollars for violating the contract of strict appointment times. Same with the Hermitage and Spilled Blood and Yusupov Palace, but Spilled Blood is not quite as money hungry as Catherine Palace administrators so do not impose fines very often. But they do cut back on the tickets available to the the offenders.

So flexibility is very limited in a packed tour. There is a lot more flexibility with walking tours or private tours where you choose on the spot and pay entry such as when booking a van/car, guide and a driver. For $200-300 you can book a van for your whole group for all day but you have to figure on paying for each entrance as you go, and deal with the lines. For those who want a day of free travel, or visiting museums not on the cruiser's list of the Big 8, it is easy but you are not going to drive up to Catherine Palace and just buy tickets like you can in off season.

Other destinations require guided tours to be at least a threshold number of people. For example Faberge, which is 15 tickets whether you are a group of 1 or 15. If you so not want to box in your time very much, and not see as many attractions, flexibility increases, as the number of destinations decrease. Land tours traditionally are much more flexible because only two main sites are visited per day so a normal 5 day tour covers what cruise passengers expect in 16 hours off the ship. You can have flexibility or you can have a full schedule but not both.

The trick in creating a doable itinerary is to select routes and order where appointment time only destinations are not in the same half day.

For $200-300 you can book a van for your whole group for all day but you have to figure on paying for each entrance as you go, and deal with the lines.

Just so there's no confusion about what you've written, can we clarify what you've stated? You appear to be saying that a vehicle and driver cost $200 -- $300 per day. As written, your pricing does not appear to include a licensed guide who performs jobs such as explaining each site in real time (rather than in advance or outside) or purchase tickets in advance. That may matter to some cruisers. Not so much to other cruisers.

Other destinations require guided tours to be at least a threshold number of people. For example Faberge, which is 15 tickets whether you are a group of 1 or 15.

Again, I believe what you've written needs clarification. We were told that as a group of two, we had two options to visit the Faberge Museum. If we wanted to visit before 18:00 (6:00 PM) we would need to buy 15 tickets. If we were willing to wait until after 18:00 -- and if we were willing to use an audio guide rather than have a person explain the collection -- we could enter the museum, paying admission for no more than the actual number. Since our itinerary includes an overnight in SPB, this somewhat later museum visit was no hardship. We'll visit the museum after 18:00.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy