Rome via Train on our Own

ashmac8

I have been searching and reading this forum like crazy. I have read a lot about being able to take two different types of trains from Civitavecchia to Rome.

However, what worries me is all this shuttle to exit the port area and up to 2 mile walk to the train station business.

Backstory on us..... my husband and I have been to Rome before about 5 years ago. We are taking my son (9) and mom with us on the Epic next summer. It will be their first time to Italy.

We have taken Italian trains and their subway so are relatively comfortable with navigating once we review/refresh our maps.

We'd like to take an early train to Termini so that we can transfer to the Colloseum. We do not plan to take in the Vatican this trip.

Will we have difficulty hiring a taxi at the port to do a quick transfer to the Civitavecchia train station? This would be my ideal situation as to eliminate a bunch of walking for my mom/son before we really even get started with the touring. What is an estimated fare for this? Could it be reserved in advance or would drivers prefer a larger fare potential from another cruiser?

We'd really like to do Rome at our own pace. I have looked into the private cars and I really feel that it is a lot of rushing around and extraordinarily expensive. We have seen all of the major sites and would rather focus on the highlights with our son rather than rushing and trying to do it all this time.

Any insight on this is greatly appreciated.

You won't have to walk 2 miles at all. The free shuttle takes you to the pick up point for the €2 shuttle to the train station. At the station, you will have to descend under the tracks and back up with your luggage.

Thanks so much. It's a port of call for us so we won't have luggage, perhaps a small shoulder bag.

Are there typically long waits for either of the shuttles? I assume we will need to have exact change for the shuttle service.

I have never seen any taxis at the ship. You are pretty much going to have to take the shuttle to the drop off point, which is free, and then take the approx 1€ bus to the train station. Or walk about a mile. I'd take the bus! And save my tootsies for Rome.

Just buy a BIRG ticket at the newsstand in the station, 12€ per person, and be sure to validate on the platform. This will give you all day use of the buses and metro while in Rome.

There is a train about every thirty minutes (approximately) and you should get off at the Roma Ostiense station. There is a metro stop right in the station, Pyramide, and you will take it two stops to Colosseo--you will emerge right at the Colosseum!

I have never seen any taxis at the ship. You are pretty much going to have to take the shuttle to the drop off point, which is free, and then take the approx 1€ bus to the train station. Or walk about a mile. I'd take the bus! And save my tootsies for Rome.

Just buy a BIRG ticket at the newsstand in the station, 12€ per person, and be sure to validate on the platform. This will give you all day use of the buses and metro while in Rome.

There is a train about every thirty minutes (approximately) and you should get off at the Roma Ostiense station. There is a metro stop right in the station, Pyramide, and you will take it two stops to Colosseo--you will emerge right at the Colosseum!

Thanks Cathy. I am making a note of this advise. Our trip is a ways off but I will certainly report back about our day.

Can anyone who has been this summer clarify how long it takes to walk to the station from the port entrance. We are happy to walk and have done in the past, but we

don't want to waste time if the shuttle would be much quicker.

Also are the shuttles very frequent?

Thank you

Can anyone who has been this summer clarify how long it takes to walk to the station from the port entrance. We are happy to walk and have done in the past, but we

Thank you

Just returned from Civitavecchia over a week ago on the NCL Epic. Was our disembarkation port and was planning to do the walk back with our luggage, but ended up taking the 2€ shuttle as it was right there when the port shuttle dropped us off. Loaded up pretty quickly with everyone coming off the boat and departed for the train station. If it's already there and filling up, don't think you'll save that much time by walking yourself and if you have luggage it's pretty much a no brainer.

According to Google Maps, it's about 1.5km/19 minutes to walk, which is about right since we walked it from the train station embarking the ship and couldn't find a shuttle bus, but ended up getting slightly lost finding the entrance, so I don't know the exact time.

In August we walked from the port entrance/bus drop off to the train station and it took about 15-20 mins. However on the way back we were tired and it was very hot so we bought tickets at the train station shop for the bus back to the port entrance. The bus was already there, I assume they time them to meet the trains from Rome although our train was over 10 mins late.