Argentina Refunding VAT Tax on Lodgings to International Visitors

capriccio

I just saw this article in the Washington Post today: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/to-attract-international-visitors-argentina-is-refunding-its-tax-on-all-lodgings/2017/02/15/812caaa4-f2eb-11e6-b9c9-e83fce42fb61_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-cards_hp-card-world%3Ahomepage%2Fcard&utm_term=.8e445bd19457

Some highlights of the article:

The executive order, which went into effect Jan. 2, offers tourists a direct and automatic refund of the 21 percent tax, one of the highest in the world. It removes the tax on all lodgings throughout the country’s 23 provinces, from upscale city hotels to rugged estancias in the countryside. It also applies to breakfast services associated with overnight stays.

The rebate is only available to visitors who can prove, with a valid passport or identification card, that they live abroad. They must also pay with a non-Argentine credit card or bank transfer from another country. The hotel will remove the charge at the time of billing.

It applies to all foreign nationals using a foreign credit card or paying with foreign currency. We travel on Canadian passports and had no issue taking advantage of this.

It is no a refund per sae. You simply don't get charged the tax if you pay this way.

We are just finishing travel in Argentina, Uruguay, and Chili. All three countries extend VAT exemptionson hotel accomodation to foreigners.

Uruguay is even better. We actually had the VAT reversed on our restaurant bills and I also believe on our car rental bill.

In November I booked and paid for a room in Argentina with for my upcoming March trip. I did this to save money but is actually costing me more now that the VAT has been repealed for foreign nationals. The hotel says that I must deal with the booking service and booking dot com says that they will not refund as law was still in effect at time that I made payment. Does anyone know if they are interpreting the law correctly?

• 2 weeks later...
Happy to report that after much persistence both booking dot com and Orbitz have agreed to refund the VAT that they collected from me for my upcoming hotel stays in Argentina.

I'm so glad the information was helpful. Enjoy your trip!