Ideas for a Day Trip out of London

Cambridge and Ely sound interesting, too. When looking at info on Cambridge, I noticed the American Cemetery is close by. I'm wondering how far it is from Cambridge and if there's transportation (bus, etc.) to it. We are visiting the Normandy beaches and American cemetery during a stop in France on our cruise, but it would be nice to see this cemetery as well; it looks beautiful and solemn.

The American cemetery is on the edge of Cambridge, about two miles from the centre. However the city tour bus includes the Cemetery on its route.

If travelling to Cambridge by train there are two routes out of London, either from Kings Cross or Liverpool Street. There is a slight difference in the length of the journey and differences in the price of the tickets, but both arrive at the same station in Cambridge. The station is about a mile or so from the centre, so you would need to take a taxi to the centre.

How far is Kew Gardens from central London?

Google Maps puts the public transport options from Picadilly Circus to the Victoria Gate entrance at between 35-47 minutes; all easy 1-transfer routes.

Very much worth it, especially the new treetop walkway.

We let Golden Tours do the driving for us. We went on a day tour out of London about 18 months ago to: Leeds Castle, Dover, Canterbury and Greenwich. It was probably one of the best tours I've been on because it was so well done. We didn't have enough time in Greenwich to see much of it and it was very dark by the time we were there (winter time) but if had just cut out some of the long breaks at some of the venues, we would've had more time there. Even still, it was a really good tour!

A cup of tea and a chat sound great and another plus for St. Albans ! :D

As I mentioned in my other post, we are looking at August 19 (Saturday) for our day trip out of London.

Where in the USA are you planning to travel, if you don't mind me asking?

Please do contact me and I am more than happy to meet for Tea and Chat on the 19th if you do choose St Albans.

As for where we are travelling in the USA?

We fly from Sydney to Hawaii spending 10 days there

Hawaii to Seattle for 8 days ( staying with friends)

Seattle to Orlando for 16 Days ( I've never been to Florida or any Disney park )

We then drive to Charlotte NC ( staying overnight in Savannah on the way) stay with family for a week

Then Drive up to Richmond for 3 days

Then Washington DC for 4 days

Then Gettysburg got 3 days

Then across the states as in the pictures.....to Denver then monument valley, Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, Monterey, Santa Barbara, LA all by car about 5,500 miles

Then fly to New York for a few days before flying home.....including the Time we are in Australia and New Zealand we will be away from home 5 months dea636e8fc68798d6a1912354625654d.jpg2311c05f5397b70d009eaa6c013b202c.jpg18a9021711ceadee962675a42293270a.jpg3c57669c91457762ada1a03485803593.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a great trip. We live just 4 hours from Richmond VA. Hope you have a lovely time. Since my last post, our personal situation has changed and we debated cancelling our trip. We have decided to go, but under the circumstances, we will probably opt for a quick excursion down the Thames to Greenwich. But thanks for all the suggestions and help. I appreciate the suggestions and information.

• 3 weeks later...
We were hoping for a relaxing day - a break from the big tourist areas. Heard that St Albans has a lovely, historic Abbey, some Roman ruins and artifacts and on certain days, a nice market. And wasn't too far out of London. Sounded very appealing, especially toward the end of a three-week trip.

We like history, art and exploring new places. My husband walks with a cane, so hiking and beaches are not practical. Towns and cities afford places to stop and rest so it works out for us. I'd like to see some place beyond the major tourist attractions.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I think St Albans would fit your bill easy train ride from London 15 minutes walk from Station may be better to take bus bit uphill Abbey (Now Cathedral) is very interesting and old its in nice park you could walk down to the Lake and have lunch in the Oldest Pub in England. You could climb to the top of the Clock Tower maybe not your husband, nice street market Wednesday & Saturday nice web site http://www.enjoystalbans.com/things-to-do/attractions/index.html#

I live 20 minutes by car from St Albans if I can be of any help let me know, would be only to pleased, we had some friends over from New Zealand the other week they loved St Albans.

I think St Albans would fit your bill easy train ride from London 15 minutes walk from Station may be better to take bus bit uphill Abbey (Now Cathedral) is very interesting and old its in nice park you could walk down to the Lake and have lunch in the Oldest Pub in England. You could climb to the top of the Clock Tower maybe not your husband, nice street market Wednesday & Saturday nice web site http://www.enjoystalbans.com/things-to-do/attractions/index.html#

I live 20 minutes by car from St Albans if I can be of any help let me know, would be only to pleased, we had some friends over from New Zealand the other week they loved St Albans.

Thanks for all the wonderful ideas. It would be lovely. Unfortunately, we had to cancel our cruise and trip to England last week. My mother became very ill and had to be hospitalized and I lost my job. So we will not be visiting your lovely country.

We are so disappointed, but appreciate everyone's suggestions. Best of everything to you. :(