Malt Shop Cruise

crackycruiser

Hi: I few weeks ago at our precruise hotel we meet several folks that were going on the Malt Shop Cruise. It was the first time we had ever heard about it. My husband has always loved the music from that era. When I went to check the prices for November 2014, however, for new first time cruisers, it is so expensive. Can anyone tell me about the cruise. I am curious about the shows. Are they separate shows with separate performers or do they all perform together? Is it one night or are there performances every night? What else is fun about the cruise. I can't seem to find too much information about it. The cheapest balcony is 6650.00 for both of us! Does the cruise sell out fast? Does anyone know if it is cheaper to book direct with the cruise line? Any other hints or suggestions such as is it too far away from the cruise to get the best price or if I wait will it sell out fast? Thank you so much for any help.

Edited by crackycruiser

Hi: I few weeks ago at our precruise hotel we meet several folks that were going on the Malt Shop Cruise. It was the first time we had ever heard about it. My husband has always loved the music from that era. When I went to check the prices for November 2014, however, for new first time cruisers, it is so expensive. Can anyone tell me about the cruise. I am curious about the shows. Are they separate shows with separate performers or do they all perform together? Is it one night or are there performances every night? What else is fun about the cruise. I can't seem to find too much information about it. The cheapest balcony is 6650.00 for both of us! Does the cruise sell out fast? Does anyone know if it is cheaper to book direct with the cruise line? Any other hints or suggestions such as is it too far away from the cruise to get the best price or if I wait will it sell out fast? Thank you so much for any help.

The Malt Shop cruise for November 2, 2014 on the Eurodam is not available on the HAL website. I assumed it may be a full charter. However, the November 2, 2014 cruise on the Eurodam is available for the 14-day combined Easter and Western Caribbean.

I was hoping others in the know would post. I personally know nothing about these types of cruises ... except many have posted that if you are not part of a "group cruise" you will not be able to see or participate in any of their activities. This is not a HAL theme cruise.

Edited by Linda&Vern

Not sure about the Malt Shop cruise, but most of the fares for chartered cruises do not change. You'll have to book through the Malt Shop Memories cruise website. Yes, chartered cruises are usually more $$ than other cruises, you are paying for the entertainment. I have a couple of friends who have done a charter with some musical entertainment, they had a great time.

Group cruises like this are more expensive because the host of the event is charging you for the entertainment in addition to the cruise. This means it's typically 300-600 more per person in my experience and may or may not be worth it to you. For information on what they are offering in addition to the normal cruise you'll need to check out their website, http://www.maltshopcruise.com

It looks you're your paying for some of the following:

Artist-led events including

•Sock Hop

•T-shirt Party at the Pool

•Rock ‘n Roll Dance Classes and Contests

•Prom Night Extravaganza

Live performances by:

•Dion

•The Temptations

•Brenda Lee

•Herman's Hermits starring Peter Noone

•Jay Black

•Jan & Dean's Beach Party starring Dean Torrence

•Martha Reeves & The Vandellas

•Kenny Vance & The Planotones

•The Duprees

• Ricky Nelson Remembered with Matthew & Gunnar Nelson

•The Coasters

•Frankie Lymon's Legendary Teenagers

•Little Peggy March

•Al "Lil Fats" Jackson

•Jerry Blavat

Entertainment presented on the cruise, featuring different entertainers, including:

•Elvis Tribute Contest

•Late Night Movies

•Trivia

•Pajama Party or masquerade party

•Sock Hop

•Pool Parties – with dancing and live performances

•Prom Night Extravaganza

•Karaoke Nights

•Rock ‘n’ Roll Dance Classes

•Entertainers Cooking Demonstrations

•Up Close & Personal Q&A Sessions with the Stars

•Giant Cash Bingo Games

•BBQ Under The Stars

•Dance Contests

•Dance to your favorite malt shop 45’s every night in our disco

Full ship charters are very different from a regular cruise. You will never want to go back to a regular cruise!

Great information by Sherilyn70!

I am a regular on the Legendary Rhythm and Blues Cruise, and it is fantastic. Dion came on as a passenger/fan and wound up giving a talk and playing some blues. He is fantastic. He since has been on a guest artist and is a really interesting man. His latest album is blues, seriously influenced by his time jamming with some blues greats. You should check it out :)

Have a wonderful cruise!

My parents (both in late 60s) have done this cruise 2 yrs in a row now. Even after last year's really bad embarkation - Sandy detoured the ship to Jacksonville instead of Ft Lauderdale, all passengers had to board buses for a 5 hr journey north, etc - THEY LOVED IT.

Just be aware, you will have sticker shock compared to a comparable cruise itinerary. You're paying for all of the extra entertainment and access to the celebrities.

P.S. They booked for 2014 as well.

Word to the wise...be very careful when looking at different music theme cruises..one type is the private full charter (like the MSMC)..the other, is when a private promoter, reserves a certain # of cabins on a regular sailing, brings on their own private entertainment and adds a mark up to the regular cabin fare....you will notice there is a significant price difference between the two and a significant onboard experience between the two

Which type of music theme cruise you select will be based on your budget and whether you are a true music fan...on a private full charter, if you look at the line up of artists, if you would pay to see at least 4 of the artists if they came to your City to do a concert in the same year, then it's an easy choice...the private full charter is the best value by far...I do the full charter Smooth Jazz Cruises and we slot a line item in our monthly budget in order to go every year (they usually sell out 10-12 months in advance with reoeat guests).. you are immersed 24/7 into the music and you can see the artists perform multiple times and take pics and hang out with them...it's like a music fan fantasy camp (cruise) and all 3000 of your fellow cruisers are like family...on a group theme cruise on a regular sailing, you are sharing the ship with regular cruisers..your group, due to logistics can never be more than 50% of the guests, there are fewer number ofmusic concerts and activities....big difference is if you are with the theme group, you can still partake in other ship activities, if you did not pay the premium, you are not permitted into any of the private events

If you love that type of music..you have to tfy the fall charters...well worth the $$$$ and you will have the time of your life and probably never do a regular cruise again

• 2 weeks later...

I have been on the MSM cruise, yes the ship is a full private charter, yes it is

expensive when compared to the average cruise, but you are on a ship with like minded people and music artists from the 50's-60's and you will have a great time. The 2013 cruise earned the nickname "The Happy Cruise", always something happening aboard the ship. I am 62, it was a pleasure to be on board this ship with all of these great artist, music I grew up with and still listen to today, to talk with, get an autograph, have a meal with the people that defined the music of this time in history is nothing less than awesome.

Each artist/group performs at least twice, on the Mainstage their is usually 2 artists/groups per show, for instance, Chris Montez and Petula Clark together.

All music is live, nothing recorded, (except for what the DJ plays)most of it is presented the way you remember it, you recognize it immediately, you sing along,you dance, 7 nights on the ship ends to quickly, you find yourself not wanting it to end. For many of us the next cruise can't be soon enough, we already have our place reserved.

For singles,

I went alone, but I was never alone unless I wanted to be, I made new friends and I had the best time of my life,I plan to make this my yearly vacation.:)

Understandbthe unattached females outnumber the males 2 to 1...I gather you had no problems getting a date for the Sox Hop:):)

Glad you have joined the club of....charter music theme cruisers...I always enjoy showing pics when I get home to my friends who have only bee on:D "normal cruisrs:D

So true, often Females were dancing with each other or alone.

I went home with 500 plus photos I had taken, many with the Artists, and Entertainment Cruise Productions took an additional 1,000+ photos made

available to everyone plus a DVD.

It wasn't uncommon to see one of the artist on the Lido deck eating a meal,

having a drink, enjoying the music and just hanging out with everyone.