Dolphin Swim or Dolphin Encounter

ciship

My kids are 8 and 11. Those who have done this, would you recommend the swim or the encounter for this age group? Do you think the encounter will be scary for my 8 year old? We will be trying this hopefully in Puerto Vallarta.

Thanks!!

I would recommend the swim, it's more expensive but is the best vacation memeory my kids have ever! Not sure where you are going but we went in Cozumel and they have the best pics and video. I know it's touristy but we are going to Mex. Riveria and my kids decided on the dolphin trainer for the day excursion.

We did see people on the encounter and it seemed a little boring, but if your youngest daughter is apprensive around animals or water it may be a better fit. I don't swim great and I was fine in the swim, everyone wears life jackets and is ample trained supervision.

Cruisin '40,

We are taking Carnival Pride to the Mex Riviera in March. When are you going? Does there have to be a parent in the pool with the dolphins PER child or can my husband just go in with both of them?

You arent kidding about the expense.......WOW!!

cq

We are going in early Jan., Am curious about the one in PV, it is a different company than the one in Cozumel. A friend took her son about a year ago and they did buy a video but didn't get the great photos we got in Cozumel (they were pricey though). She did say her son had a GREAT time though. It is expensive but it is sort of a once in a lifetime thing (except we are doing it again).

It was expensive but it was the best vacation money we spent.

You should be fine with just one of you going, I went with my girls, although my DH still regrets not going.

• 1 month later...

Since passengers are forced to book the Dolphin Swim through the cruise ships, how can we get the times offered so we can plan the rest of our day? I went to Carnival's website, but it doesnt give the tour times???

There are only two places in Vallarta, besides the ocean, where you can swim with the (caged) dolphins. Vallarta Adventures in Nuevo Vallarta and Splash Water Park (also in Nuevo).

The tour times never change, they are the same for cruise ship passengers, to locals to toursits in Vallarta. So when you see the tour times, these are the tour times.

Vallarta Adventures Dolphin Swim

Departure Days:Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday

Departure Times:10:00 AM, 11:00 AM, 12:00 PM, 1:00 PM, 3:00 PM, 4:00 PM, 5:00 PM

There is also a new tour for smaller children:

http://www.vallartaonline.com/tours/DolphinKids/

Just remember this is one of the most popular tours in Vallarta and obviously with limited space. On any given day there are 30,000 + tourists in Vallarta and if there is more than one cruise ship in port that day, hundreds of people have reserved or tried to reserve this tour. Best advice, BOOK EARLY!

As always, thanks for the great info BZY1......

I tried to book online with Vallarta Adventures and got an email back saying I had to book with Carnival. I went to the Carnival website and there is NO option to book with them, so I guess my only option is to book when I get on the ship which is a bummer!!! I would imagine everything will be sold out by then. Doesnt seem right.

Does anyone know how I can book now instead of waiting until March????

ciship

You can't book the Dolphin swim until you get on the ship but then again no one else can book till they get on the ship also. We were on Pride fairly early and went right to the shore excursion desk and tons of times were open.

My 13 DS and I did the dolphin swim last July during our Pride cruise. I thought I would be terrified but it was one of the best experiences of my life. Expensive but definitely worth the money.

Elise

Archived