Question about Alcohol

Hey, I'm new here but I've been lurking around reading reviews about the Star. My family is traveling on the star to Alaska in august. My little brother is 18 and is at the age where drinking is very appealing to him. He definitely looks old for his age so my question is, how do the staff know if someone is of age or not? Do they check ID's? Because I went on a cruise a while ago and dont remember carrying anything with me except my room card.

As I understand it, the age is encoded on the card, and, since you use the card to buy anything on board, if the card says you're not old enough, you can't buy it - unless you "borrow" someone else's card.

Your brother can drink onboard on some cruises but not Alaska :( - All he needs to do is get a parent to sign a waiver and be responsible for him.

**With the exception of Alaska and Hawaii itineraries, NCL permits guests between the ages of eighteen (18) and twenty (20) to purchase and personally consume wine and beer while on NCL ships with the consent of a parent or legal guardian (“Parental Consent”). Complete details and the Parental Consent form are available on board at the Reception Desk.

Hey, I'm new here but I've been lurking around reading reviews about the Star. My family is traveling on the star to Alaska in august. My little brother is 18 and is at the age where drinking is very appealing to him. He definitely looks old for his age so my question is, how do the staff know if someone is of age or not? Do they check ID's? Because I went on a cruise a while ago and dont remember carrying anything with me except my room card.

His age will show up when his key card is swiped- BUT if your parents are traveling, they can sign a parental consent form so that he may drink...

As a parent, WHY would I sign a wavier? The CHILD is 18 and too young to drink -- period.

Most of the world does not believe that. It is all about trust and being responsible. 18 year olds will drink with or without permission.

They are free to drink in most ports outside the US.

When I sailed on Princess at Age 20, my cruise card had an M in the bottom right hand corner that indicated I was a minor. This is the only way to purchase alcohol on board the ship. That said if others purchased for me I was not questioned or IDed. Just have someone else buy it for him (order a round of drinks) and have him pay you back afterwards.

I even tried scratching the M off of my card, which came off - but didn't fool the bartender. May have worked on the waitstaff walking around at the shows or pool area.

Lighten up a bit. I drank when I was 18 and I've managed to lead a successful life. When it's not "forbidden" it's less likely to be abused. And it's not like you are going to turn around and get behind the wheel when you're in the MIDDLE OF THE OCEAN!

Just my two cents!

As a parent, WHY would I sign a wavier? The CHILD is 18 and too young to drink -- period.

I guess you wouldn't and as a parent, that's your decision. When I was 17 I joined the Navy and by the time I was 19 I was in the Philippines and got shot at by a group trying to overthrow the government (and our base) on December 1, 1989. Shouldn't I be able to drink back a cold one after surviving that? Wait...I was in the Phiippines and we could drink. San Miguel beer never tasted so good. ;)

Archived