Hurricane Help: Will I be leaving on my cruise Monday out of Tampa?

mariah9999

Hi,

I need the assistance of those of you that have cruised during a hurricane... I am supposed to leave on the Carnival Inspiration out of Tampa, FL on Monday, Aug. 29. I noticed that Carnival changed the Carnival Miracle leaving on Sunday from Tampa to now depart out of Port Everglades due to Hurricane Katrina entering the Gulf. Is it most likely they will delay my cruise for a day or two or will they leave out of another port like the Carnival Miracle is scheduled to do? Will the cruise ship follow behind a hurricane if it's far enough away or do the cruise lines usually wait for the hurricane to hit land before going into port? Any insight from past hurricane situations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much for your help!

Keep an eye on Carnival's Website, or call to see what's happening. We were on Conquest 's 7/3 sailing which was delayed a day returning due to Hurricane Dennis - the port authorities closed the Mississippi River, so we returned a day late and the next cruise was shortened. They will make every effort to avoid having the ship in a storm.

We were scheduled to go to Progresso, Cozomel, and Belize on the Elation on July 17. Hurricane Emily came to port, so our ship went to the Bahamas. We heard some ship tried to go to those ports in reverse order, but the ports were closed. So some spent 7 days at sea. I am glad we diverted. Now we just have to book the Elation again so we can visit those places!

It's most likely you will go as scheduled. Nothing announced for Inspiration. About the time you are leaving, the hurricane should be paying Mississippi a visit. Or maybe Alabama.

If it visits Mississippi, trust me, Alabama will take a swipe from it too. I live outside Mobile so I'd rather it go east of us than west. I'd really rather it go way west as we all here in S. Alabama and the FL panhandle have definitely paid our dues here in the last two seasons. I hate for it to hit anyone but it's definitely someone elses turn.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just returned from this cruise and as I'm sure you all know - it was changed from embarkation at Tampa to Port Everglades. I have to say that Carnival did a great job keeping everyone happy...even on a 5 hour bus ride from Tampa to Ft. Lauderdale. The staff on the Inspiration was wonderful.

Jennifer

Archived