S. Caribbean & Hurricane Season???

MamaParrotHead

can anyone tell me if the southern Caribbean is "less" likely to be effected by hurricane season? Seemed to me, watching this year, that most of the areas hit the hardest were Western Caribbean. Since I'm new to cruising, I've honestly not paid that much attention to hurricane paths and patterns before. We're looking at the Destiny in 6/07 (PR, Barbados, Aruba, Dominca, St. Thomas), and although I'm fully aware that's into hurricane season and I'm taking a risk, it's the only time we're able to go (and I NEED to feed my cruising addiction).:D

Thanks!

Of those islands, Aruba is the only one outside of the hurricane belt so it is extremely unlikely that Aruba would be affected. I sailed on Destiny one year for July 4th with no worries.

Prime hurricane season is about mid-August to mid-September, but they can occur anytime.

I once inquired about this same topic and was told there hasn't been a hurricane in July in like 50 years. Never did verify it but I believe it.

You should have verified it.....

2005 - June - 2 tropical storms Arlene and Bret

2005 - July - Hurricane Cindy, Hurricane Dennis, Hurrican Emily, and tropical storms Franklin and Gert.

:eek:

My DH and I cruised on the Destiny October 16 of last year....we arrived in San Juan, Sunday, Oct 16 on the back end of Hurricane Wilma....absolutely gorgeous the entire week till we left Aruba and came through the middle of Alpha to find out that out that our return flight through Miami on the 24th was cancelled because Wilma came back around and hit Florida after hitting the Western caribbean. We were stranded (:D a tough time sitting by the pool but someone had to do it) and had actually 4 extra days of vacation added. After all the storms I still would not hesitate booking another cruise during Hurricane season! There were a lot of people getting sick and the barf bags were everywhere for our final sea day!

Liz

Archived