Tropical Depression # 3 - This one has major written all over it!

Atlantic Public/marine Tropical Disturbance Messagesissued In The Last 6 Hourswtnt32 Knhc 100238tcpat2bulletintropical Storm Bonnie Advisory Number 8nws Tpc/national Hurricane Center Miami Fl10 Pm Cdt Mon Aug 09 2004...bonnie Moves Slowly Northwestward Over Southern Gulf Of Mexico...at 10 Pm Cdt...0300z...the Center Of Tropical Storm Bonnie Waslocated Near Latitude 23.4 North...longitude 89.2 West Or About390 Miles South Of The Mouth Of The Mississippi River.bonnie Is Moving Toward The Northwest Near 6 Mph And A Gradual Turntoward The North Is Expected During The Next Day Or So.maximum Sustained Winds Are Near 50 Mph... 85 Km/hr...with Highergusts. Slow Strengthening Is Forecast During The Next Day Or Two.bonnie Is Rather Small And Tropical Storm Force Winds Extend Outwardup To Only 30 Miles...45 Km From The Center.the Latest Minimum Central Pressure Reported By An Air Force Reserveunit Reconnaissance Aircraft Is 1006 Mb...29.71 Inches.interests In The Northcentral And Northeastern Gulf Of Mexicoshould Monitor The Progress Of Bonnie Over The Next Few Days.repeating The 10 Pm Cdt Position...23.4 N... 89.2 W. Movementtoward...northwest Near 6 Mph. Maximum Sustainedwinds... 50 Mph. Minimum Central Pressure...1006 Mb.the Next Advisory Will Be Issued By The National Hurricane Center At4 Am Cdt.

Suzi, this one (if it stays on the projected path) should stay in the Gulf, and even then, I would expect it'll be over land somewhere between Mississippi and Texas by then, so I wouldn't worry.

Now, as long as these suckers stay in the Southern Caribbean and Gulf, I'm a happy lady. I've never been to St. Thomas or St. Maarten before and if one hits when I'm on the Mariner in three weeks, I'll be a little ticked.

But, of course, I'll get over it, since a cruise is all about being flexible. ;)

I don't blame you at all, BuilderMan!

I grew up on the coast of Georgia, and this time of year, our eyes were always on what whas going on in the ocean!

I have not-so-fond memories of Hurricane Hugo in 1989 - although it hit north of us, it still wasn't fun in Savannah!

We're leaving on AOS Saturday... Could we run into this?

Well, I can assure you that if this is anywhere near where you're supposed to be sailing on Sunday, then the captain will steer around it - they will not take you through it.

That said, this is supposed to be in the middle of the Gulf on Sunday.

We leave San Juan Sunday, heading south to St. Maarten, St.Lucia, Barbados route...

So, it'll be past us, right?

We fly down Saturday from NJ straight through so it shouldn't be a problem....

Right?

IF she continues pretty much on projected path,it looks like you could be ok by Friday..She should be approaching the gulf coast sometime Sun...Where is your first stop?

oooh,I just looked at your itinerary...Belize is your first stop..you leave on Sunday....If it stalls at all ,at best you may be delayed..or miss your first port..

Make sure you take all phone numbers with you so you can check in with your TA,or RCI on your trip down,and once you are there..

Good Luck.

Will the Southern Carribean be effected by this storm? We leave San Juan on Suday and go to St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. LUcia, and Barbados. I have tried to find specifics on this storm, but I can't seem to answer my question. Thanks

This is garnetjanet's hubby:

We get into Orlando on SAT and leave on the Mariner SUN for western Caribbean. We should be able to fly in and sail away no problem. However, what bothers me is not running into the storm itself on the cruise, but the aftermath. If I'm cruising this week Bonnie/Charley are probably altering the plans, but it will be through by the time we cruise. We are scheduled for Jamaica next WED and Grand Caymen next THU, a week or so beyond its actual passage. However, if there is significant damage from Charley we will either have extra sea days or go elsewhere, but seas could be churned everywhere in the Gulf, Caribbean and off the Atlantic Coast.

We are veterans of hurricane-altered cruises (Monarch, NOV 2000; Hurricane Michelle) and I know they will do their best to make it enjoyable, but just be prepared this time of year for anything, that you might not go where you're scheduled and rough seas can prevent docking. We went to Jamaica and Labadee instead of G. Caymen and Cozumel, but seas were so rough in Ocho Rios no one could dock, except us, because our captain knew of a sheltered dock by an old aluminum plant. Other ships had been damaged at dock the day before.

And beyond next week....look out for another tropical wave.

I've never sailed during this time of year, and I was a little concerned when I booked the cruise. Now I'm really concerned. From what I've seen, Bonnie should not affect Nassua/CocoCay, but what about Charley? Anyone think we'll run into extremely rough weather? I'm getting a little parnoid here.

boston14,

I would be a little concerned about a layover in ATL. Some of the flights in and out of this region could be affected. Check with you airlines online website to find the complete routing of the flight you are catching in ATL into San Juan. If your flying Delta and things haven't changed, then the flight you are going down on came in from San Juan the night before. So the flight will be there and you should have no problem

Triumph1.JPG

Carnival Triumph sailing around Hurricane Isabel - Picture taken from U.S. Coast Guard helicopter - 17 Sep 2003

I borrowed this from http://members.dsli.com/schooner/triumph/ to show you why I will be bringing 'the patch' along with Dramamine just in case we are anywhere near a storm in October. :eek:

Archived