Tropical Depression # 3 - This one has major written all over it!

enjoyndride, we are also in Ocala. Luckily in the 25 years we've lived here we've not been thru a major storm. Depending on where Charlie comes ashore that may change. We are keeping our eyes on it & keeping those of you closer to the West Coast in our prayers.

Karen

Hi Guys... Central Florida.. Cape Canveral area here! So far things have been pretty calm for the most part. I am more worried about all my friends in the Tampa and Sarasota area right now. I do have to admit that I would feel much safer on a cruise ship right now cruising around Charley. I think people are more worried about Tornados and falling trees in my area. We get TONS of tornadoes during huge storms. We also get tons of flooding. We are going to just wait until tomorrow to determine what to do next. Best to everyone riding this out! Holly

I'm in Ft. Myers and we are still watching the forcast closely. We were feeling better this morning when the projected track moved the center of the storm north of Tampa, but it seems like they are telling us that there's still a good chance that the center will make landfall a little closer to us. My biggest worry if flooding. We live on the water and are preparing for the worst. We will probably leave sometime tonight or early in the morning as if the storm stays anywhere near the current path, our house will definately be in 4-6-8 feet of water. Hopefully the storm will move farther out into the gulf and fizzle. Everyone in the storm's path stay safe and listen to your local authorizities.

Shawn

We're right there with you all! Been ordered mandatory evacuation but if we do, we only have to go about 10 minutes away so we have until early afternoon tomorrow to see what really happens. I wouldn't wish this on anyone! Keep crossing fingers & hoping! EErrrrr...did I mean to buy a house a mile away from the mouth of Tampa Bay? OOPPPPSSS!

Mojo - where in Naples do you live? I lived three blocks from the Gulf in Naples Park when Andrew hit and moved to Vegas three months later. If I were there now, I guess I would have already been forced to leave. My ex and youngest son still live in Cape Coral and I have many friends still in Naples that I used to work with at BancFlorida, so my prayers go out to everyone hoping you stay out of harm's way.

She?

Charlie is a man, no?

IF she continues pretty much on projected path,it looks like you could be ok by Friday..She should be approaching the gulf coast sometime Sun...Where is your first stop?

oooh,I just looked at your itinerary...Belize is your first stop..you leave on Sunday....If it stalls at all ,at best you may be delayed..or miss your first port..

Make sure you take all phone numbers with you so you can check in with your TA,or RCI on your trip down,and once you are there..

Good Luck.

I live in Pinellas County, St Petersburg, to be specific. I am SO nervous. We are the next level to evacuate, but I don't think that they'll have any time to change their mind and evacuate us anyway. The next street over is evacuated. I have cleaned out the closet under the stairs, and that is where my husband, my 7 yr old triplets, and myself will ride out the storm. I'll have to put the dogs in the bathroom. The tornados and the wind are my worst fears. I've never been thru one of these, in fact Tampa Bay hasn't seen this in well over 75 yrs. I'm thinking of you guys in Naples, Oldsmar, Ft Myers, and everyone in the path of this storm! Stay safe and my prayers for everyone affected!

She?

Charlie is a man' date=' no?[/quote']

Like it really makes that much difference? IT is turning into a major hurricane and all some people care about is a gramatical error? Which I probably spelled wrong besides!

Things here in Orlando are quiet. Schools are closed as are most government offices. Most folks here at taking this threat seriously. I have been thinking of all of you in the West Coast all morning (it is hard to sleep when a hurricane looms) Thoughts and prayers go out to all Floridians today.

LVCRUISER, How funny...we moved here from Vegas! We live in North Naples now and really enjoy the area overall. We decided we'd take hurricanes over nuclear waste and fault lines. :eek:

Thanks to everyone who has, again, expressed very kind thoughts toward all of us here. I managed to get to bed around 1am this morning after making sure everything was secure, and slept until about 6am. After getting up and finding a light rain, very little wind, but very overcast sky, I laid back down to catch a little more rest. I was awakened by the BUZZ from the weather radio offering up a tornado warning. A twister is making its way north in Eastern-Central Collier County, a distance from us, but they are so unpredictable.

It looks like the projected path has once again moved north of us. We are told to expect winds up to 75 MPH in the afternoon, but I still remain cautious because this storm seems to like to change its mind ever so often. Thanks again to all, and I'll keep an update coming as long as Charley agrees. ;) The radar images I attached a few posts up should continue to auto-update throughout the day if you're interested in seeing them.

Just a quick update, weather has significantly changed since my last post. We're now seeing winds in the 35-50MPH range and localized heavy rainfall. Our local weather folks predicted earlier this afternoon that we landfall may occur closer to Charlotte and Lee Counties (just north of us), the NWS and TWC have since revised their projected paths to coincide with this thought. We've been advised to expect 8-10ft rise in sea waters between 2pm and 7pm, which is the worst expected, as a result evacuation orders have expanded to cover areas inland previously thought to be acceptable. Storm is nearing Category 4 and continues on an Eastern path bringing Charley closer to us than originally thought...I need to close now so we can prepare further. Wish us luck!

Hey Guys.. Here I am sitting here in Central Florida in the Cocoa Beach area.. we are just waiting for this thing to hit us.. Nothing is worse then the wait, not knowing what is going to happen. Thanks for all the well wishes for us in Florida. Good Luck to everyone on the West Coast and also in Central Florida. This thing is a doozy! ~Holly

I hope everyone in the path of this storm took it seriously and evacuated. For those of you who chose to ride it out, I pray for you. 17_1_10.gif

Going through a storm of this magnitude will no doubt make you stop and count your blessings. Stay safe. And please everyone, when this is over, let us know how you are.

The site of this ship in mojo4trav and Ischrage's response is frightening!!!! Is there anyone out there who was on this particular cruise and can tell about it? If this is sailing AROUND a hurricane, can you imagine what BEING in one would be like???

Unfortunately Central Fl. took the brunt of the hurricane. Ft. Myers, Arcadia and it was heading to Orlando. All the parks were closed or closed early. The people in Arcadia were not expecting this and while they were at the shelter it suffered damage. According to the news some people were trapped there. Also heard there were 2 deaths. Thank God So. Fl. was spared. Prayers to all those who were affected.

Archived