Where will Eastern Caribbean ships go if Hurricane comes?

dexter

We are scheduled to leave 8/28 on Zuiderdam Eastern Caribbean, but it looks like Hurricane Frances is going to pay a visit to Virgin Islands. Where will ship go if that is the case and when do you think decision will be made? The projected track has it possibly moving toward Florida and I was just wondering what happens if a hurricane blocks your return to Port Everglades.

On my one hurricane-affected cruise (two in the same week), decisions were literally made hour by hour as the situation developed. The ship stood off Miami and both docked and sailed about 8 hours late on our embarkation day (which was a good thing as our flight the day before had been diverted to Charlotte for an overnight stay when Miami was closed). We got to St Maarten just as they were battening down the hatches for the next one, and by the time we got back on the ship the decision had been taken to cancel St Thomas and run in a different direction. The decisions were good; we were well out of the way of any really bad weather despite the two storms.

Where will ship go if that is the case and when do you think decision will be made?

Bermuda Triangle? :)

Then HAL won't have to worry about returning the ship to Port Everglades. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Dexter...I looked at the track of Frances again and for sure I can't see us heading to the Eastern Caribbean this week. Ideally I would like to see (HMC-Sun, Key West- Mon, Cozumel-Wed, Grand Cayman-Thurs) If we had to change...that's my dream schedule. I guess we will know for sure by tomorrow when we board. As far as getting back to Ft. Lauderdale...No point worrying about that yet as it will put a damper on your vacation.

Nothing we can do about an itinerary change, but we were looking forward to Tortola cause we've never been there. Been to western ports ad nauseum so if that's the case it will be rather disappointing, but hey...it's still a cruise, right?

Dexter...I looked at the track of Frances again and for sure I can't see us heading to the Eastern Caribbean this week. Ideally I would like to see (HMC-Sun, Key West- Mon, Cozumel-Wed, Grand Cayman-Thurs) If we had to change...that's my dream schedule. I guess we will know for sure by tomorrow when we board. As far as getting back to Ft. Lauderdale...No point worrying about that yet as it will put a damper on your vacation.

I wouldn't mind HMC-Sun, HMC-Mon, HMC-Wed, HMC-Thu. Seriously though, I hope Frances turns northward and we can do the original itinerary. But I cancelled 3rd party excursions as a precaution.

Charliec1...Like HMC do you! LOL...I think by Thursday you wouldn't want to be there. Dexter...I have been to Tortola, St. Thomas, and Nassau already twice this year...so I wouldn't mind the change. That said, Tortola is one of my favourite ports.

Unless you planned a tour over to the Virgin Gorda and the Baths, you aren't missing much on Tortola.

Yes, that's where we planned on going. We did the western last year so I'll probably just stay on ship if we hit the same ports, except HMC of course.

No wonder the "ZUIDERDAM 8/28 ROLL CALL" board is quiet, they're all here. I think we should take a poll as to where we would like to go if foreced to detour. Lets send the results to the captain and see what happens.

Saturday - Sail

Sunday - HMC

Monday - Sea

Tuesday - Cozumel

Wednesday - Grand Cayman

Thursday - Ocho Rios**

Friday - Sea

Saturday - Home (Unless Frances hits Ft. Lauderdale, and we're forced to

spend another day at sea !!!!!!

** A desire to visit Ocho Rios is to climb & take photos at Dunn's River Falls. This need results from a prior visit when we used up a whole roll of film, only to realize after getting back to the boat that the film was not loaded properly, and we had all posed for nothing..........duh!!!!

If you get to Ocho Rios, a tour we have done twice because it was so much fun is the catamaran cruise on COOL RUNNINGS! If we go there again, we will likely do it again. The music and dancing are great! You will dock off Dunn River Falls

then get to walk the falls. Enjoy and have good weather!

Ginny & Ed :p

Y'all think we will go to different ports? HAH! I bet a nickel that we will hit HMC then head to Key West and float around the gulf for a few days. Based on another post above, HAL doesn't substitute too much. Been living in South Florida for 30 years and been to Key West ONCE. That was enough.

Been up the Falls in Ocho Rios. OK once, not twice. Snorkeled in Cozumel already and we don't drink. Could go to Paradise Beach, however! Grand Cayman could be A-OK though. Did the Stingray thing last year. Now that was pretty cool.

Damn, I really wanted to do the shark thing in Nassau. I can predict one thing at least. At least as of now, we AIN'T going to Nassau next Friday, that's for dang sure.

Archived