50% OFF Hurricane Compensation

Has anyone used their 50% off coupons that were received by those having interupted cruises recently? I have a 12 nt cruise booked for 11/05 and was told while on our cruise 3 wks ago that I would be able to use the coupon, but my TA received it today and it definately says it's redeemable for 50% off a 7nt cruise or less.

So, I'm interested to hear from someone who's actually applied one to a sailing and how it was handled.

Thanks!

Here's an example copy of how the press release was written which included the 7 night statement:

Navigator of the Seas, normally scheduled to depart Saturday on a seven-night sailing, will delay its return from its current sailing and its departure for its next sailing until Sunday, September 26. The ship, which may arrive midday or late afternoon, will delay its departure until 9 p.m. local time Sunday, and sail a modified itinerary that will end Saturday, October 2. Guests who sail on this cruise will receive an onboard credit of $250 per stateroom and a certificate for a 50 percent discount on a future Royal Caribbean sailing of seven nights or less, which departs on or before December 15, 2005, excluding holidays. Guests booked on this sailing who cancel their cruise will receive a letter of credit for the amount paid for the cruise portion of their sailing. Travel agent commissions will be protected. Due to the uncertainty of Hurricane Jeanne's path, this itinerary is subject to change.

I really do not see why it would matter if it is a seven or an eleven day cruise. Isnt the certificate 50% off of what you paid for the cruise that you were on?

Alanna, you sure have had trouble booking your next cruise. I am also in a slight argument with RCCL, they quoted me a price on a grand and when my travel agent called the next day to confirm the girl said she mis-quoted the price by $300.00. It really is getting irritating to keep getting different answers every time you talk to a rep.

Hope you are doing well, it was fun meeting you on the cruise.

Brenda

Hi Alanna,

I realized after reading this post that the coupon also said that you could not upgrade. I had to call our travel agent because I booked a grand suite instead of the jr. suite and Linda and Tom booked the jr. suite instead of the E catagory. She called RCCL and they will let us keep the upgrade. I am just curious as to what is happening with your cruise?

Brenda

The cruise ambassador told me while on the ship, "You will be credited 50% of what you paid for this cruise toward any other next year." Other people had to have been told the same thing, because it was a topic of discussion many places we went.

I am going to have my TA try to use the coupon for what we currently have booked, but I don't want to until I get a balcony because if they were to actually credit 50% of that cruise, I'll be paying more then, than I am now. How confusing is that????

I'd like to get that cruise ambassador in a room alone. What a jerk! I'm wondering if anyone important even knows how many people he screwed over during that week. Seems like his job should not be secure.

I tried several times to get answers from customer service about exactly what the 50% credit meant, what cruises the coupon could be used on, what stateroom category, etc. I never got reliable answers, although there seemed to be at least some agreement that the credit was 50% of the value of the hurricane-delayed cruise (after first deducting taxes), which could be applied to a future cruise of 7 days or less. That took several telephone calls to determine and I haven't seen my coupon yet so don't know if the information was accurate or not. And that's not really how RCCL's website described the discount.

Also, my coupon has been sent to my travel agent and so I have to book through that travel agent whether she has the best price or not. And, I paid for 9 family members and friends to go on the cruise. Since the credit is non-transferable, to use the credit I have to take exactly the same group next time or forfeit the credit for the person I choose not to take (e.g., my nephew's school friend). Not really fair. I would much have preferred to have a credit back to my credit card for the cruise we took - which is what Carnival and Disney gave -- 30% off the hurricane-delayed cruise by Carnival and 40% off the hurricane-delayed cruise by Disney.

My question to you maritimemare: Why is it not fair. Why should RCCL give a discount to someone that wasn't affected by the hurricane. Doesn't seem fair to me if you were able to transfer the credit to someone that wasn't even affected at all. You should feel lucky that the cruise just delayed its departure time and you were able to go at all. Technically the cruiseline's dont have to give any credit at all for changed itinerary as they can change it at any time without notification to anyone...its in the cruise contract. Be happy you got anything at all. Just another example, it seems to me, of someone looking for a handout.

I was thrilled to receive the 50% credit off another cruise and we also received 250.00 shipboard credit. We did experience alot of stress dealing with the delays due to the hurricane but you take that chance when you sail during hurricane season.

Our insurance is taking care of our extra expensives and the missed day on the ship so I appreciate RCCL doing something for us because I dont think that they are obligated to do anything.

I booked onboard, using the 50% off . They gave 50% off the current price of the cruise I booked, and the 100.00 ship board credit for booking onboard. I had to book the same category (JS), 7 days or less. I could upgrade by paying the difference of the categories (600.00) to go to a GS. Hope this helps.

My question to you maritimemare: Why is it not fair. Why should RCCL give a discount to someone that wasn't affected by the hurricane. Doesn't seem fair to me if you were able to transfer the credit to someone that wasn't even affected at all. You should feel lucky that the cruise just delayed its departure time and you were able to go at all. Technically the cruiseline's dont have to give any credit at all for changed itinerary as they can change it at any time without notification to anyone...its in the cruise contract. Be happy you got anything at all. Just another example, it seems to me, of someone looking for a handout.

I agree with this post whole heartly. Next someone that booked 10 people will want to cash in all 10 discount coupons and take 5 weeks back to back for free. Geez, Some folks think they deserve the world.

Stretch

I wonder what type of room I'll be able to book with my 50%off coupon, considering I'm probably going to book a non-voyager class ship. Onboard the Explorer I stayed in a PR room. It's inside--but sort of a cheap outside! :-)

My experience was on Carnival and it was great. My 4 night cruise stopping only in Cozumel ($300) was changed to a 3 night cruise to nowhere due to weather. I was refunded 50% of my money for that trip so it cost me $150 and I was also given a 50% off voucher for any length sailing, any time, any cabin. We used the voucher for a 7 night sailing on the Conquest in a balcony room. So me and my DH, DD and DS all traveling in a balcony room for a week for $1,500.

Response from Maritimemare via someone else's computer:

The cruise lines don't have to pay for an itinerary change, but they have to give you 7 days if you paid for 7. We only got 5. That's why we deserved compensation.

And I still say a money refund like Carnival gave is worth far more than a credit toward another cruise on the same line. And, I don't feel "lucky" at all that I was able to go. I would have much preferred to reschedule for another time. Unfortunately, RCCL managed not to offer the rebooking option until we were already in Miami. Believe me, it is no fun to realize you either have to fly into a hurricane or if you take a chance and hope you'll be offered a rebooking option, you take the risk that somehow RCCL will manage to get the ship into port, reload it and get back out to sea before the hurricane hits. If you make that choice and you lose, insurance won't cover you. It's no fun to be put between a rock and a hard place and those of you who haven't had $10,000 riding on a cruise while you try to figure out the best course of action have no room to talk.

As for those who say I'm looking for a free handout because the credit is personal to each cruiser, the entire amount came out of my pocket. Therefore, if I want to pay for other people to go next time, why shouldn't I be able to do that. I'm forced to take my nephew's friend, even if they are no longer friends, or lose the credit. I'm forced to take my baby nephew, who was no problem at 6 months old on this cruise, but may not be much fun for anyone to take when he is 16 months old instead of 6 months, or lose the credit. I say if the money came out of my pocket, I should have the benefit of the credit. If we had been on Carnival, it would have been a refund to my credit card. I could have used the money any way I wanted to.

Flame me if you want. I don't care. I just don't know why everyone defends RCCL all the time. Do you own it? Do you see the profits from it? If not, what's it to you?

response to maritimemare, the 50 percent off a future cruise is not for your lost two days , the 500 credit you recieved was for the lost two days. that 50 percent certificate was not compensation, but a good will gesture from the cruise line. i am not defending the cruise line in any way, but neither am i going to bash them for handing me a certificate that entitles me to 50 percent off my next cruise,

and thats the way it reads. 50 percent off your next cruise of seven days or less in the category you were originally booked in. not 50 percent of what you paid for the cruise that got you the certificate in the first place. also if you want to upgrade to a higher category you can, you just pay the difference.

I was thrilled to receive the 50% credit off another cruise and we also received 250.00 shipboard credit. We did experience alot of stress dealing with the delays due to the hurricane but you take that chance when you sail during hurricane season.

Our insurance is taking care of our extra expensives and the missed day on the ship so I appreciate RCCL doing something for us because I dont think that they are obligated to do anything.

Real curious, bplazo, we had two insurance policies and have not filed yet. How or what credit did yo get with them.

Ira

Also, my coupon has been sent to my travel agent and so I have to book through that travel agent whether she has the best price or not.

My travel agent starts with travel and ends with city sent my coupon to me. Can be used with anyone now.

Ira

maritimemare: As I understand it, the coupon was issued to you, not the TA. This would be the same as if RCI said, "By golly, that maritimemare is such a fabulous cruiser, we should send her a solid gold, engraved logo watch." They send it through your TA, who says, "Well, I handled the booking so I should keep the watch." Nope; doesn't work that way. The TA is merely the transfer agent and has no right to a future booking unless you choose to use that TA.

I suggest you call your TA and insist that the coupons be sent to you immediately. If you encounter any problems, move up the management chain at the agency (if there is one), call RCI and tell them what this agent is doing, and contact the BBB. In essence, the TA is (possibly illegally) holding property that belongs to you.

Good luck with your future booking. (And you never know, a 16-month old might turn out to be as good a cruiser as a 6-month old.) Unfortunately, it doesn't matter who paid the bill; it only matters who the ticketed pax are.

beachchick

I totally agree with you both. I am in the same "boat" as you since the cost of the cruise came out of my pocket. Why should RCI care whether I go with my same family members or bring someone different. They will still get the same amount of money no matter who is traveling as long as it's the same amount of people in the same category in one room. My decision to sail was based on the choices they provided me through their web site during Jeanne. Discounts or cancellations. I chose the discount, not because I was looking for a handout as some have suggested (which I really question their skewed way of looking at things constantly going on the attack and assuming we are idiots; consider the source when they add a tag line to their name that infers they drink alot) and the other post was wrong: "and thats the way it reads. 50 percent off your next cruise of seven days or less in the category you were originally booked in. " That's NOT the way it read. It said 50% of your next cruise of 7 nights or less. PERIOD, no fine print no additional info other than black out and expiration date info. For those of us who don't cruise quite frequently this is a new situation, I am certain that those who love to flame, (who have many cruises under their belts) at one point in time had a negative experience, curious to know how others responded to you.

And just for the record, I live in Brevard County and was in the middle of all the storms, so I don't want to hear any holier than thou crap about people losing their lives etc. Come down here and help out instead. Lord knows there are people here who need it. Or better yet send cash.

Archived