Packing List

MiamiU72

I have been reading many, many post the last 4 months...and this is a list that I compiled from other people's suggestions...thought I would share.

Got most of this information from others in CC boards – sorry for the lousy formatting, but I did it in Word (did I mention I HATE Word????) and it keeps changing (did I mention that I HATE Word???)

Unisex Carry-on Bag (one person’s list)

Right before going to the port we attach the cruise line tags. If you are flying in, that way they don’t get lost on the plane.

Your carry-on bag should have the essential stuff you need to survive if all other luggage is lost. That probably won't happen but you'll feel better knowing you have this essential stuff with you. Here's my list of stuff that goes in my survival bag:

•  Prescription Medications
  •  A change of clothes- if all is lost I have two outfits (this won't happen)
    • Most folks have said the Red Hook waiting area is VERY cold, so you may want to pack a sweater in your carry on.

[*] swimsuit- might want to swim before the luggage arrives

[*] cash – some $5 and $1 for tipping

[*] credit cards***If you and your spouse have joint credit cards already, be sure to take different ones between the two of you (or leave the '2nd' card in the safe while onshore). If one is stolen or lost, you'll still have another card to use

• Regarding Credit Cards- CALL your CC companies tell them you will be traveling -where & when so Fraud Alert doesn't put you on hold. Also make copies of both sides & leave with Itinerary

[*] Camera – I pack a shower cap which is great to go around your camera in case of rain

[*] Pen/pencil/small notebook (we use ours to log in each time we leave…to tell the other person where we are going and when we left, and maybe when we plan on returning

[*] Hand sanitizer – pocket size and larger one for room

[*] Sunglasses/eyeglasses copy of prescription

[*] Cell Phone – battery charger (put an address label so when you leave it plugged into the wall when you leave they will be able to distinguish it from the hundreds of others they have

[*] Jewelry/Watches

[*] Mp3/CD Player

o  Cruise Documents/Airline tickets/ Passports (and copy of passport)

*** someone recommended that you carry your original passport with you in all ports of call. A passenger never knows when they might be injured or become ill, sent to the hospital and need to stay while the ship sails away. You will need your passport. A copy will only come in handy if your original is lost. Keep the copy in your safe.

• Personal Toiletries (see list below)
  • Bottled water – at least one or two
  •  Notebook computer if you are taking one
  • Blank Checks
  • Business Cards and/or cards with simply your name, address, phone number and email – great for keeping in touch afterwards with all your new friends
  • 1000 Cash divided in half- half in one passengers carryon- half in another’s (now this is more than I will probably take…I would probably not take the $50’sJ

o 400 in 50’s

o 300 in 20’s

o 150 in 10’s

o 75 in 5’s

o 75 in 1’s

Packing for Her (since it was just mom and I…I didn’t copy off the men’s list…sorry guys

Packing for ladies is a very personal thing. Guidelines for what to pack need to consider what’s appropriate to wear on board and ashore. Let’s start with what Carnival has to say:

“Casual attire is the order of the day, both on board and ashore. For one or two nights, a dark suit or formal attire is suggested. The dress code for other evenings ranges from sport coat and tie to casual resort wear.”

I also suggest a light sweater for use in the showrooms as well as a compact, storable raincoat or poncho to take ashore. In the Caribbean, rain comes and goes rather quickly and a light raincoat might come in handy.

As with the men’s list I have a checklist rather than a packing list that will help you remember important items that need to be packed…or not…again, its your cruise!

Packing Checklist for Ladies

• Underwear
  • Bras/
  • T-shirt – one or two---you will buy more!
  • Socks/Stockings
  • Bathing suit
  • Beach cover-up
  • Pants/skirt
  • Dressy outfit/Formal wear
  • Casual shoes
  • Dress shoes
  • Slippers
  • Sandals/Flip-flops/water shoes
  • Hats
  • Scarves/Belts – I find it a good idea to wear a scarf with an outfit, especially if you are in an area that has blowing air conditioners.
  • Ladies toiletries- go inside Carry-on bag – use Ziploc bags generously to protect contents
    • Extra Contacts and glasses
    • Shave cream and razor
    • Nail Care items
    • Soap/shower gel
    • Hair care products
    • Hair clip/ Hair band
    • Facial Cotton balls
    • Makeup
    • Moisturizer/Lotion
    • Sunscreen
    • Toothbrush
    • Comb/brush
    • Deodorant
    • Hygiene products
    • Hair brush
    • Fingernail clippers
    • Tweezers

Community Bag

This one is one of the most important and is shared by everybody in your party and includes things that everyone will need. Who carries this one is always a problem so assign it to one of the kids if you have them or flip for it otherwise. Here’s what you need:

• Duct tape- a small roll will do-good to fix all kinds of things
  • Two or more colors highlighter…one for each person to highlight things to do in Patters
  • Post it notes to leave messages for family members and room steward
  • Powerbar- not the kind you eat, the kind you plug into the wall to make more plugins- cruise cabins can be notoriously lacking in this area (many folks mentioned this one…see below)

Cabins have a limited number of electrical outlets. Suggest you bring either a power strip, cube tap, or extension cord with room for 3 male plugs at the end.

The cabin outlets are based on the North American standards – no adapters are needed.

Take an extra electrical cord because your cabin won't have enough outlets, or it will be in an awkward place (hint check behind they t.v) the only electrical plug was right below a hanging picture and I didn't have enough room to plug in the box that housed the batteries to the digital camera---so unfortunately, we couldn't take any pictures all cruise.

Absolutely pack an outlet strip, there is only one plug in the cabin. The hair dryers on board are very weak.

• Games/Books/Magazines – remember there is a library on board if your luggage is approaching the weight limit for the airlines!
  • umbrella
  • Travel maps/guidebooks
  • Keys for home
  • Since cabin walls are metal we take magnets to hold up our pictures and maps.
  • Flashlight
  • Nightlight
  • Lanyard – for room key card – you can get them punched in the purser’s office
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Room sanitizer spray (Ozium) (I have never heard of this)
  • Address book/stamps (I have everyone’s addresses on a Avery 30 address label sheet…just peel and stick to postcards
  • Empty collapsible bag for souvenirs
  • Extra Film/Memory cards
  • Memory card charger
  • Binoculars
  • Wire hangers- there are never enough in the cabin’s closet
  • A travel alarm clock
  • Small personal size fan…or fan with mister ($9.95 at Sharper Image)
  • All the power cords and charging things for all your electronic stuff: camera, cd player or radio
  • Bubble wrap…for shells/ceramics, etc
  • It's a good idea to have a well-stocked travel first aid kit with you so you're not caught off-guard having to spend lots of $$$ on shipboard medical treatment.
  • First Aid-kit
    • Band-aids – I like the ones that already have antiseptic
    • Alcohol Swabs
    • Advil or sinus medicine
    • Lomodium or pepto bismal
    • antacid
    • Airborne (available at Costco and Trader Joes…way to beef up immune system)
    • Bonine, Meclizine, patch or wrist bands

[*]Ziploc bags – quart and giant 2 gallon size- wet swimsuits, toiletries, stuff that can leak

[*]Plastic food wrap- order sandwiches from room service to take to the beach (some places may not let you take food off the ship) or back home on your return flight

[*]Hair Dryer- there’s one in the cabin but you’ll want your own if you use one

[*]Laundry soap- get tablets like Wisk and put them in a Ziploc bag along with $5 in quarters- you’ll be able to do a quick load if you need to. They sell detergent for $1.00 per load size, but not unscented

[*]Extra batteries- way less expensive at Wal-Mart than at the ships gift shop

[*]Bar soap from home- especially if you have sensitive skin

[*]Clothes pins

[*]Bug spray – or bands available at sharper image (120 hr ones)

[*]Insulated mugs- we go for coffee in the morning on the lido deck then outside to watch the sunrise over the ocean (totally awesome) or I will bring back that first cup to enjoy before we have breakfast

[*]Backpack or beach bag

Misc. Packing Tips:

Take half as many clothes, twice as much money.

We always take two large suitcases and pack half of our clothes into each in case one of the two gets lost. We also have carry ons that include one pair of casual clothes and one pair of smart casual.

Come prepared with every possible medical remedy - Imodium, Bonine, Meclizine, Aspirin, Tums, etc., and you'll be healthy all week!

Don't panic about remembering to pack 'everything,' If you forget something you can either purchase it at one of the ship's shops or at a port.

Lastly, pack a bit of patience and a good attitude. The Crown is a new ship. Hopefully by the time we board most of the kinks will be worked out! I know we will all have a great time!

Very comprehensive list, for a first timer very good. Not my place to tell anyone what should be packed and what to leave home.

I have always said it’s better to pack and not need etc. etc. Anyway, go through the list again and look at like items and things that do the same thing such as a hat and umbrella or a collapsible bag and a backpack. Also figure what will not be needed WHERE you are going, why pack umbrellas, ponchos or sweaters if I’m going to Mexico during the dry hot months. Shorts won’t do you much good in Alaska in the winter.

Your enemy is volume and weight. You would be surprised what you can stuff in a shoe or the difference in weight of a collection of full size toiletries versus travel or sample sizes.

All most all readers here will take a seven day trip or less for the first time out. Should you be planning something longer, do the research and make sure there is a self-serve laundromat or look into having clothes laundered at a high cost by the ship. Taking half the clothes makes a huge difference in packing.

While I agree with most of the items on the list, I do think that you can take some of the items with a grain of salt.

If you happen to have a boo boo, you can buy bandaids on board the ship. Of course, those who are prone to blisters and wear shoes that cause them may want to carry stuff like that. Same thing with a lot of the first aid items. We didn't do any of the more athletic excursions, so didn't need much more than an aspirin after a night of too many martinis!

We have carried the duct tape, power bars, highlighter pens and all of that stuff, and never used any of it. If you are travelling in the summer, it is so humid that you will not want to tie your balcony door open overnight. We didn't use our cell phones even once, and don't carry a lot of other electronics, so the power bar is always wasted on us.

I have carried nail polish and remover for nails that remained naked all week, books and journals that were untouched, umbrellas for sun showers that lasted 10 minutes, beach chairs that stayed on board, and so much other stuff that I have now learned to carry the essentials. For me, that is enough clothes so that I don't need to do any laundry in the sink, hose (because they never have my size onboard), a sweater for the air conditioning, and at least two swimsuits, because one is always wet.

Sailing on one of the larger ships is like being on an enormous floating hotel ... anything you really need is available, and most things you forget are unnecessary!

Whew! That's quite a list! Scary. If it doesn't fit in a 24 inch roll-on-board and a small carry-on, it's not going with me. I like to keep the weight well under 30 pounds too - that way I can bring back souveniers without buying a new bag. I have actually lived out of my great travelpro roll-on-board for up to 3 weeks with an occasional stop at a coin laundry somewhere. I like to travel a lot; not just cruises...sometimes I just decide to go.....sometimes just drive off somewhere...I can pack in 15 minutes or less/unpack in about the same time. What Freedom!:)

I can't imagine dragging so much stuff...but that's just me.:p

Whew! That's quite a list! Scary. If it doesn't fit in a 24 inch roll-on-board and a small carry-on, it's not going with me. I like to keep the weight well under 30 pounds too - that way I can bring back souveniers without buying a new bag. I have actually lived out of my great travelpro roll-on-board for up to 3 weeks with an occasional stop at a coin laundry somewhere. I like to travel a lot; not just cruises...sometimes I just decide to go.....sometimes just drive off somewhere...I can pack in 15 minutes or less/unpack in about the same time. What Freedom!:)

I can't imagine dragging so much stuff...but that's just me.:p

As I mentioned previously, the list was a compilation of MANY CC posters...and certainly not meant to suggest that you take everything. My own personal list is a lot shorter than that, but I will be taking some of the things that folks suggested. What some folks might need, others may not...but sometimes just having a list will remind you of something you want to take. Wasn't trying to break anyone's luggage limit, just trying to be helpful:)

• 1 month later...

thanks for the list. while i am going on my first cruise in feb, i have been nervous about what to bring. obviously, i won't be bringing all on the list, but it definitely gets me thinking in the right direction.:)

As I mentioned previously, the list was a compilation of MANY CC posters...and certainly not meant to suggest that you take everything. My own personal list is a lot shorter than that, but I will be taking some of the things that folks suggested. What some folks might need, others may not...but sometimes just having a list will remind you of something you want to take. Wasn't trying to break anyone's luggage limit, just trying to be helpful:)

Just got back last week...things I didn't need ...all the medicine (but if I didn't take it I am sure I would have come down with something) Could have done without half the clothes ....and shoes. We lucked out with weather so didn't need the umbrellas or the pounchos...but again...if I left at home we would probably had had lots of rain...so the folks on my cruise should thank me:)

I did use the surge protector strip for my items to charge. The hairdryer in the room was fine...but I have short hair. Did bring the over the door shoe holder...found a great one that was mesh and had double pockets so it held a lot and helped keep us organized..only problem it wouldn't fit over the door and let the door close...see my crown princess photos for a photo of this. WE put it on the door where the safe was and just left it opened. I had taken several magazines and books...only read 2 chapters...mainly due to the fact that my mom kept me hopping from dawn to way beyond dusk. Also didn't use gym clothes or swim clothes for same reason...mom (82) had our day planned with lots of trivia contest...free ice cream...afternoon tea...Princess Idol...etc!

I did write a review on the main board...and link to my photos are below. Have a great trip!

Archived