A Day in Port Canaveral

Crusin' from Fl

I'm on the MSC Divina next week which brings us from Miami to Port Canaveral. I live in Florida, so I've been to the Space Center etc. Any suggestions as to anything to do around the Port? Anything within walking distance?

I left from this port years ago, but I'm thinking there must be something close by.

I visit Cocoa and Melbourne often to see friends and I've done those city tours.

Thanks

I'm on the MSC Divina next week which brings us from Miami to Port Canaveral. I live in Florida' date=' so I've been to the Space Center etc. Any suggestions as to anything to do around the Port? Anything within walking distance?

I left from this port years ago, but I'm thinking there must be something close by.

I visit Cocoa and Melbourne often to see friends and I've done those city tours.

Thanks[/quote']

Nothing within walking distance. You could take a taxi to downtown Cocoa Beach, take a look at Ron Jon's or the Cocoa Beach pier. Have a nice lunch at some of the restaurants on the channel, such as Grills, Rusty's, or Fishlips.

Edited by clarea

if you do end up at the north terminals there is usually an in expensive shuttle which will take you to the area of Ron Jon and Alan Shepard Park (the east end of SR 520)

If ship is at south terminals, walking from ship to the beach at Jetty Park then turning south to Alan Shep' would be about 4 miles. You'd pass Cocoa Beach Pier along the way (potty and beer available). A nice stretch of the legs.

We are coming to PC on our next cruise. I know it's still a year away, but never too soon to start looking into excursions. Is there any way to view the different types of shuttles/excursions hath at are offered privately, or is everything through the cruise line? We are coming down the Sunday before Thanksgiving, so not sure I want to do Disney or Universal, but thought my son might like Sea World (he will be five). Any other advice? Coco Beach would work too. He loves the water. Thanks.

shuttles/excursions hath at (sic) are offered privately

short answer is none

you can take a taxi or a bus to the beach but you won't find 'private excursions' or tour guides like in the islands.

many folks will rent a car for the day

search Port Canaveral threads and you'll find many many discussions of things to do - but for the most part it is either a ship excursion or a true 'roll your own' experience

quick list

- there are a number od places that do airboat tours on the St Johns

- number of 'eco tours' for dolphin/manatee sightings both by boat and kayak

- Brevard Zoo and Tree Top Trek zip line

- Space Center (get free tickets from your CongressPerson)

all the Orlando Parks are in range BUT a solid hour away with ONE road between port and them - use of ship's tour highly recommended to lower risk of missing the ship.

Edited by Capt_BJ

short answer is none

you can take a taxi or a bus to the beach but you won't find 'private excursions' or tour guides like in the islands.

search Port Canaveral threads and you'll find many many discussions of things to do - but for the most part it is either a ship excursion or a true 'roll your own' experience

quick list

all the Orlando Parks are in range BUT a solid hour away with ONE road between port and them - use of ship's tour highly recommended to lower risk of missing the ship.

Ah...I was specifically thinking of the park shuttles or shuttles to specific places. It's been a while since I have been in the area - is it the toll road that connects PC to Orlando? I remembered it being about a 45 minute drive or so, but that was years and years ago...lol. I will check to see what RCI has for options, but renting a car may be best option. Thanks.

Hi don’t know if anyone else has interests in deep sea fishing but I’ll give everyone the info: Cape Canaveral fishing trip on the Orlando Princess at same pier we pull into.

Half Day for $60 per person 10:30-4:30 there is a 5 dollar off coupon on web site.

Included is: lunch unlimited beer and Soda and everything you need for fishing.

The lady I talked to said you have to take a taxi up and back (5 miles back up the pier) the boat holds 80. Weather permitting

You do have to book 1 day in advance.

I was specifically thinking of the park shuttles or shuttles to specific places.

none

there is no daily shuttle from Canaveral/Cocoa to any Orlando park ... nor even any public transportation between Orlando and the beach!

So it is either going with the ship excursion, or arranging a hire car (limo / private shuttle company), or renting a car.

this is some info I found on Taxi's:

Port Canaveral Taxi serves the Cruise Ships also, 321-455-9318. If we are not able, we will find a service that is reasonable for you. I have posted on this sight before and like to keep Cruisers updated on the pro's and con's of the Port. I have received complaints of extreme over charges by 888 Taxi Service, charging customers by the person rather than the trip. The same trip costed $9.35 with my company, they paid $50.00 for the same fare they had just taken with 888 Taxi Service as there were 5 passengers. Ask the amount they are charging before entering their Taxi!! Cruisers can call any local company by simply searching Port Canaveral Taxi's on their phone. Also, those who wish to rent cars. DON'T request info from 888 Taxi drivers whom have lied to Cruisers and told them that Thrifty Car Rental was closed and they would have to use 888 taxi because they were the only company allowed to transport them. Costed them dearly, I can assure you. You can call any Company for service you wish!! Search for decent Company's in this area, Services I recommend : Port Canaveral Taxi 321--455-9318 AA 5TH Ave taxi 321-412-1684. Cheap Taxi 321-799-2010: J-Rod Taxi 321-626-7700 I will pay more attention to Cruise Critic and give Cruisers the best advice with the best Company's available in the future. It is my intentions to keep competition alive here where your prices are fair and your trips here to Port Canaveral are ones you enjoy. If I don't reply directly on this sight, Call me, 321-455-9318 and we will work together at getting you the service you need at a price you can afford. William Porter Port Canaveral Taxi

short answer is none

quick list

This is pretty much the info I was looking for... Thanks!

I was specifically thinking of the park shuttles or shuttles to specific places.

none

there is no daily shuttle from Canaveral/Cocoa to any Orlando park ... nor even any public transportation between Orlando and the beach!

So it is either going with the ship excursion, or arranging a hire car (limo / private shuttle company), or renting a car.

Thanks. This is what I was curious about. I had read about people booking excursions to go to parks, but was not sure if this was some local shuttle service, or something that was just offered through the cruise lines.