Confused about the wine policy posted on CC home page

moofus

:confused: It said that you can bring 2 bottles of wine or champagne with "prior approval..." how do I get prior approval and from whom? We are celebrating son's engagement announcement and MUST have Schramsberg Champagne,, highly doubt it is on the menu.

This is one of those issues that there doesn't seem to be any straight answers to. IN another thread on RCI's wine policies a poster reported he talked with people at RCI who told him it was OK to bring wines that the ship doesn't carry. Another poster was told by RCI personnel that wine was prohibited as was bringing any liquor was. Another poster did as I did and emailed RCI to try to get written (email) permission to bring on wine that was not carried by the ship and neither of us ever received a response.

Right the general concensus in a long thread that I will include a link to is that the best plan is to carry your wine aboard in your carryon luggage or carefully packed in your checked luggage and don't tell anyone about it (sort of like the stupid US military policy of "don't ask and don't tell".

Anyway it will be interesting if anyone responses to your question with an absolute answer that is verified by RCI.

Check the posts on the link below for further information.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=142655&page=1&pp=25

Have a great next cruise.

Never had a problem. I have read that wine and champagne is allowed on board for "special occasions"..well, cruising is a special occasion, isn't it? :D Also, if you think about it, why would they have a corkage fee if they didn't allow you to bring your own? :confused: Congratulations!

I called about a month ago to ask a few questions so I would have my info from RCCL directly.

On wine, I was told if the wine I wasn't was not carried by the cruiseline, I was definitely able to bring it. It was suggested I check the wine list close to sailing date as the list may change and the wine I want may be available.

I called about a month ago to ask a few questions so I would have my info from RCCL directly.

On wine, I was told if the wine I wasn't was not carried by the cruiseline, I was definitely able to bring it. It was suggested I check the wine list close to sailing date as the list may change and the wine I want may be available.

The only problem with this is that if you call RCI 5 times you are likely to get 5 different answers--no matter what the question is. And it's likely that none of them will relate to what is actually in place on the ships.

This is just my experience (although I've heard others voice the same complaint).

beachchick

The only problem with this is that if you call RCI 5 times you are likely to get 5 different answers--no matter what the question is. And it's likely that none of them will relate to what is actually in place on the ships.

This is just my experience (although I've heard others voice the same complaint).

beachchick

Oh boy! Communication doesn't seem to be RCCL's strong point. Looks like a little "doe eye innocence coupled with but they said on the phone we could bring it" might me in order. ;)

I too am frustrated with this!! Completly. Differing answers from RCI, differing experiences with posters on the board, it's a nightmare! We are collecting winde for the cruise, small vineyards with limited production, and hoping that is OK. I don't really like most of the wine on the list on RCI and to be honest it is priced so badly that I just will not pay 40 bucks for something I can buy for 10 in overtaxed Michigan! So we are going to try, two bottles per adult and see.

Oh boy! Communication doesn't seem to be RCCL's strong point. Looks like a little "doe eye innocence coupled with but they said on the phone we could bring it" might me in order. ;)

An excellent idea! I love it--I'm getting this image of batting eyelashes, a little smile, and girlish innocence. :o Should work fine--assuming you have any problems in the first place.

We've always brought wine for the cabin and to take to the dining room. Never have hidden it; always pack it in airline approved checked luggage boxes, label it, and check it through at the pier. No problems. The most we've ever brought was 6 bottles (for 2 cabins) on a 7 night cruise.

beachchick

I sent a e-mail to RCCL about bringing alcohol and wine on board , and also about using the mini fridge..Here's the response I received.

Thank you for your email regarding the above-mentioned sailing.

Bringing Beverages onboard: We do not allow guests to bring their own beverages onboard. This includes: liquor, wine, beer, soda, or self produced products (example: home made wines).

Royal Caribbean will allow a maximum of two bottles of wine.

A corkage fee of $12.00 per bottle will be charged. We do not allow more than two bottles and they may not be stored in our mini refrigerators.

So you can see they tell no wine but then say you can bring up to two bottles (not even mentioning that it's has to be a brand they do not carry).

Then on top of that they mention the corkage fee.

You should do what most say , Bring it in your luggage or carry on wrapped.

There policy is very laid back. Also to keep it chilled ask your room stewart to remove all the items in your mini fridge this way you can store it with out being charged for anything.

Archived