Tour guides in Kagoshima, Japan?

Kinkacruiser

There is no need for a guide. We were dropped off in town by the free shuttle, walked to a post office to get cash, walked to the ferry to go see the volcanic park. later we walked to the shopping centre and rode the huge ferris wheel.

If you can find me on Trip Advisor, send me a PM and I'll send you my notes.

As the previous poster says, the shuttle bus drops you near the ferry port for the Sakurajima (volcano) island.

If you want to see the other sights around town, you need to get a bus from there to the Chuo (central) train station. There's a tourist info place inside that can give you maps and sell you a day pass and timetable for the hop-on hop-off buses that start from there (there are two routes and the ticket works on both).

Kagoshima was one of the centers of the Meiji Restoration (the revolution that overthrew the shogunate and created modern Japan). There's an excellent museum about this; it's all in Japanese but there are English sound tracks for the movies.

There are nice views from the lookout on top of Shiroyama (hill), and sights of historical interest around the hilltop. The Sengan-en garden is very fine (with Sakurajima as "borrowed scenery") and it includes the Shoko Shuseikan museum: one of the first places in Japan where western factory machines were used.

There's a simple noodle restaurant (and some other more expensive options) inside Sengan-en. They serve a kind of ramen that's supposed to be a specialty of the area. I didn't notice this until after I'd ordered the soba, so I don't know what's special about it. About $10.

The other food specialty of the Kagoshima area is kurobuta (black pig): basically standard (Japanese) pork dishes made from local pigs that have black skins.

• 3 years later...
There is no need for a guide. We were dropped off in town by the free shuttle, walked to a post office to get cash, walked to the ferry to go see the volcanic park. later we walked to the shopping centre and rode the huge ferris wheel.

If you can find me on Trip Advisor, send me a PM and I'll send you my notes.

Hi Maryann,

I can't seem to find a contact you through CC. I'd love to see your notes on Kagoshima. We will be there in April. If you get this message, please email them to: ellen@rcmgrooming.com

Thank you!