Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Theme Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Theme Cruises Exchange info about the hot new trend of "theme cruising."

Old April 7th, 2013, 01:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

There are several good ballroom dance groups that sail together on various ships. These are people who know how to dance and love to dance! Always a fun, friendly experience!! Look it up! Great fun!!

Old April 8th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

Question Largest dance floors

Quote:
Look it up! Great fun!!
Gee, thanks ... where do I look it up

Old April 9th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Most dance groups never make it onto the Internet. The local group in January was just a bunch of friends who decided to book on the Mediterranea at the same time. Nobody was really in charge and we mostly dance International style at the bronze/silver level. Incidentally there were equal numbers of singles- sometimes we end up with more single guys than women. There was a dance studio group from Florida who hadn't posted either. dancinglist.com has some cruises, but I personally know of one with Southern Star chapter of USA Dance next October that isn't listed.
I decided a long time ago not to hire partners for social dancing. I did try one of the companies that provides hostesses, but it was quite expensive and not all that much fun. I do travel with Stardust. They were getting 500+ people when they were on Costa Fortuna but Adventure of the Seas (San Juan) a much smaller group and I didn't like the ship (should have done trip report, will dig out my notes). Linda says she wants to sail from Florida next year but is having trouble finding a ship.
If you want "cheap" and "dancing" then, for all its many and varied faults Costa is your only real choice, so the best odds of finding other dancers is on whatever ship they have sailing from the US.

Last edited by Dancer Bob; April 9th, 2013 at 07:01 PM.

Old May 13th, 2013, 02:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

I just found out Costa will have the Luminosa in Miami this winter. I just got off the Deliziosa, which seems to be almost identical. These ships came out of the Fincantieri yard, there's a few differences from Atlantica/Mediterranea.
Ship reviews to follow as soon as I put my notes together.

Old November 29th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default P&O Oriana

P&O Oriana, Eastern Mediterranean from Southampton, Nov 2014. Sea state in Bay of Biscay usually moderate.

Harlequin's: overall about 32' x 40' but reduced by furniture to about 24' x 34'. Live groups John James Trio, High Society. Almost all tempos were correct, even if the music was less than inspiring. Very good recorded music in breaks. I asked High Society for a merengue, after much searching got "Quando" at a nice samba tempo. Requested a samba, got "Quando" at a nice merengue tempo. They gave up trying to find a Paso Doble, and there was no Viennese Waltz over the whole cruise. Many sequence dances announced, but rarely more than six couples, and very few under age 65. Used as the nightclub after 23:30, but not well attended. The passenger mix on this sailing was strongly skewed towards elderly, and a generally low standard of dancing.

Pacific Lounge: oval, 20' x 26'. Used for various theme nights, not usually for dancing.

Crow's Nest: circular, 18'. On deck 12, susceptible to movement. Used for lounge music.

Lords tavern. currently used as a sports bar but has an area 30' x 25' that could be used as a dance floor.

Last edited by Dancer Bob; November 29th, 2013 at 06:14 PM.

Old April 10th, 2014, 01:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Sticky floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladydancer View Post
I've been on HAL twice -- and the only way to survive the sticky dance floors is to wear something over your shoes -- so they will slide on the floor. The floors are fine if one just wants to stand and sway to the music. We found it easier to dance on the carpet -- we could hear the music in the area where the elevators were, and just danced there. There wasn't much traffic through the area, and we had enough room to waltz and foxtrot.
I was on the Celebrity Solstice in Nov 2013, they had a decent size floor in the Sky Observation Lounge which they were always using for game shows and other nonsense AT NIGHT! We would get in there to dance with music from our iPhone before the nonsense started and it was actually quite fun to have the whole floor to ourselves to do our our nice lines and moves and people started coming up early to watch and clap for us!
However on the night when "Ballroom music" was finally scheduled they waxed the floor with said gunk, it was so sticky I almost twisted my ankle. Asked the DJ and the steward who had done it and they said this was the "correct" way for dancing!! We re-educated them and said that people were going to hurt themselves that night and they would be blamed - so they finally came and cleaned it up by washing the floor again! It was still slightly sticky but more manageable after that.

So the correct way to survive sticky dance floors is - Don't stand for it! Ask them to clean it up!
Voyager of the Seas - Exotic Asia 6/11/12
Queen Victoria HK to Singapore leg 03/19/2013
Celebrity Solstice NZ/Oz 11/16/2013

Old April 11th, 2014, 01:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Oasis of the Seas?

Has anyone experienced Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas? What are the chance of us finding any ballroom dancing? My husband and I are taking ballroom dance lessons. We've only been taking them for a year and a half, but we enjoy it and we are hoping we might find ballroom dancing on the Oasis.

Old April 16th, 2014, 08:16 AM
Cool Cruiser

No experience with Oasis. Vision had a nice floor, but only one hour of music was scheduled, conflicting with second sitting. Adventure, also a room with a nice floor, but I don't remember any music at all.
You'll probably find some rhythm if you check around, but no smooth.

Old April 16th, 2014, 03:41 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancer Bob View Post
No experience with Oasis. Vision had a nice floor, but only one hour of music was scheduled, conflicting with second sitting. Adventure, also a room with a nice floor, but I don't remember any music at all.
You'll probably find some rhythm if you check around, but no smooth.
The Oasis has Dazzles, In my experience, has a very undersized dance floor, especially for a 2 story lounge. It has a band that plays more contemporary music.

Also, there's a Latin venue on the Promenade.
They have a very well done 70's night, but very common YMCA-style beginning, but it's something still is a great one experience.

Not much ball-room, though. You should find some beginner dance classes also.

Mike

6/80 Festivale
1/05 Legend,
4/05 Inspiration,
4/06 Fantasy
1/07 Caribbean Princess -East
9/07 FASCINATION - KeyWest
2/27/08 Miracle--CC Group Leader
7/05/08 NCL Majesty- Bermuda

1/10/09-Ruby Princess -W.Caribbean,
5/17/09 Pride-Bahamas,1/21/10
Destiny-
B2B -

1/25/10 Destiny,
7/11/10 Valor - W. Caribbean
1/25/11 NCL Sun-Bahamas -
B2B-
1/29/11 Dream
9/10/11Dream
2/06/12 RCCL Enchantment
6/02/12
RCCL Oasis,
09/24/12 Ecstasy
Cruise #20-
01/12/13 RCCL Oasis,

07/12/
2013 RCCL Grandeur-Bermuda
01/09/14 Sensation B2B
01/12/2014RCCL Freedom OTS

05/04
/2014 Pride

Sensation B2B 9/18 and 9/21 Kansas concert
NEXT: 02/01/2015 Carnival Splendor-BOGO SALE!

Last edited by manmtnmike; April 16th, 2014 at 03:54 PM.

Old April 27th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm glad I found this thread. Most of the responses have been extremely helpful.

Old September 1st, 2014, 09:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandMomsRock View Post
Has anyone experienced Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas? What are the chance of us finding any ballroom dancing? My husband and I are taking ballroom dance lessons. We've only been taking them for a year and a half, but we enjoy it and we are hoping we might find ballroom dancing on the Oasis.
Oasis doesnt really have anywhere suitable for ballroom im afraid. i took a group on and we had to use night club for classes but it was difficult....i dont remember any ballroom music being played anywhere. apart from this....it was a great ship.

QE2 6
Aurora 4
Dreamward 3
Arcadia 2
Crystal Symphony 4
Seabourne Legend 2
Seawing 1
Celebrity Horizon 1
Norwegian Dream 2
Enchantment of the Seas 1
Norwegian Sea 1
Grand Princess 2
Golden Princess 3
Ocean Village 1 2
Jewel of the Seas 1
Carnival Sensation 1
Voyager of the Seas 1
Brilliance of the Seas 1
Costa Fortuna 1
Zuiderdam 1
QM2 6
Splendour of the Seas 1
Freedom of the Seas 1
Pride of Hawii 1
Millenium 1 (may 07)
Costa Serena 1 (aug 07)
Costa Romantica 1 (dec 07)
Liberty of the Seas 1 (feb 08)
Constellation 1 (apr 08)
Superstar Gemini 1 (may 08)
Norwegian Gem 1 (aug 08)
Oriana 1 (aug 08)
Radiance of the Seas (mar 09)
Queen Victoria (may 09)
Independence of the Seas (aug 09)
Balmoral (July 10)
QM2 (Oct 10)
Celebrity Equinox (Mar10)
Brilliance of the Seas (April 11)
QM2 (Aug 11)
Azura (Aug 11)
Independance of the Seas (May 12)
Serenade of the Seas (May 12)
MSC Opera (Jul 12)
Oasis of the Seas (Aug 12)
Norwegian Breakaway (May 13)
Celebrity Eclipse (Aug 13)
Noordam (Aug 14)

Old September 1st, 2014, 09:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandMomsRock View Post
Oasis doesnt really have anywhere suitable for ballroom im afraid. i took a group on and we had to use night club for classes but it was difficult....i dont remember any ballroom music being played anywhere. apart from this....it was a great ship.

QE2 6
Aurora 4
Dreamward 3
Arcadia 2
Crystal Symphony 4
Seabourne Legend 2
Seawing 1
Celebrity Horizon 1
Norwegian Dream 2
Enchantment of the Seas 1
Norwegian Sea 1
Grand Princess 2
Golden Princess 3
Ocean Village 1 2
Jewel of the Seas 1
Carnival Sensation 1
Voyager of the Seas 1
Brilliance of the Seas 1
Costa Fortuna 1
Zuiderdam 1
QM2 6
Splendour of the Seas 1
Freedom of the Seas 1
Pride of Hawii 1
Millenium 1 (may 07)
Costa Serena 1 (aug 07)
Costa Romantica 1 (dec 07)
Liberty of the Seas 1 (feb 08)
Constellation 1 (apr 08)
Superstar Gemini 1 (may 08)
Norwegian Gem 1 (aug 08)
Oriana 1 (aug 08)
Radiance of the Seas (mar 09)
Queen Victoria (may 09)
Independence of the Seas (aug 09)
Balmoral (July 10)
QM2 (Oct 10)
Celebrity Equinox (Mar10)
Brilliance of the Seas (April 11)
QM2 (Aug 11)
Azura (Aug 11)
Independance of the Seas (May 12)
Serenade of the Seas (May 12)
MSC Opera (Jul 12)
Oasis of the Seas (Aug 12)
Norwegian Breakaway (May 13)
Celebrity Eclipse (Aug 13)
Noordam (Aug 14)

Old September 20th, 2014, 11:06 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancer Bob View Post
Most dance groups never make it onto the Internet. The local group in January was just a bunch of friends who decided to book on the Mediterranea at the same time. Nobody was really in charge and we mostly dance International style at the bronze/silver level. Incidentally there were equal numbers of singles- sometimes we end up with more single guys than women. There was a dance studio group from Florida who hadn't posted either. dancinglist.com has some cruises, but I personally know of one with Southern Star chapter of USA Dance next October that isn't listed.
I decided a long time ago not to hire partners for social dancing. I did try one of the companies that provides hostesses, but it was quite expensive and not all that much fun. I do travel with Stardust. They were getting 500+ people when they were on Costa Fortuna but Adventure of the Seas (San Juan) a much smaller group and I didn't like the ship (should have done trip report, will dig out my notes). Linda says she wants to sail from Florida next year but is having trouble finding a ship.
If you want "cheap" and "dancing" then, for all its many and varied faults Costa is your only real choice, so the best odds of finding other dancers is on whatever ship they have sailing from the US.
We do, but they're usually through ballroom message boards and just email groups. There are about 60 of us going on a Caribbean Cruise in February with Princess.

Old October 22nd, 2014, 12:51 AM
Cool Cruiser

I spent a month on Royal Princess the atrium is very large. They had several hundred people learning ball room dancing. Also line dancing and several other forms of dancing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
NCL Sky 11/10/2008
RCL Navigator of the Seas 1/30/10
RCL Adventures of the Seas 3/11/12
RCL Grandeur of the Seas 11/22/12
RCL Majesty of the Seas 4/29/13
Princess Star Princess 9/2007 1st cruise
Princess Emerald 12/17/2012
Princess Ruby 12/14/13
Princess Ruby 3/15/14
Princess Ruby 3/20/14
Princess Royal 4/27/14
Princess Royal 5/19/14
Princess Caribbean 8/28/14
Princess Golden 9/20/14
Princess Grand 9/21/14
Princess Island 9/24/14
Princess Ruby 11/3/14
Princess Island 12/7/14

Old October 22nd, 2014, 08:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Several hundred? It must be huge, not to mention great acoustics. I assume they did American-style Smooth and Rhythm?

Old October 23rd, 2014, 05:14 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKSue View Post
I spent a month on Royal Princess the atrium is very large. They had several hundred people learning ball room dancing. Also line dancing and several other forms of dancing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Several hundred at once? Was it even possible to move, let alone learn ballroom dancing?
Could you please tell us how big the atrium is? What sort of flooring do they have?
Thank you
Voyager of the Seas - Exotic Asia 6/11/12
Queen Victoria HK to Singapore leg 03/19/2013
Celebrity Solstice NZ/Oz 11/16/2013

Old October 24th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafeDB View Post
Several hundred at once? Was it even possible to move, let alone learn ballroom dancing?
Could you please tell us how big the atrium is? What sort of flooring do they have?
Thank you
The atrium can hold a lot of people. Since they were learning the steps and the teachers made sure they went in the same directions it helped. People also used other levels of the ship to dance. They would move all the tables and chairs out of the main floor area and if they had a lot of extra people they would even remove them to some of the back spaces. I cant tell you the dimensions but there is room for a band stand closer to the Vines bar. The Vines bar is 2 times the size of any other ship that I have been on. The atrium is really set up to accomdate a very large crowd as the ship holds over 4400 passageners. It intresting that when you do web search it states only 3600. We had closer to 4500 on our baltic cruise and it was very crowded.
NCL Sky 11/10/2008
RCL Navigator of the Seas 1/30/10
RCL Adventures of the Seas 3/11/12
RCL Grandeur of the Seas 11/22/12
RCL Majesty of the Seas 4/29/13
Princess Star Princess 9/2007 1st cruise
Princess Emerald 12/17/2012
Princess Ruby 12/14/13
Princess Ruby 3/15/14
Princess Ruby 3/20/14
Princess Royal 4/27/14
Princess Royal 5/19/14
Princess Caribbean 8/28/14
Princess Golden 9/20/14
Princess Grand 9/21/14
Princess Island 9/24/14
Princess Ruby 11/3/14
Princess Island 12/7/14

Old November 12th, 2014, 06:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default HAL Westerdam: Poor

Dance portion of review, full review to be posted soon, HAL Westerdam, Eastern Caribbean, Nov 2014.
Music: There are TWO groups playing under the name HALCats, both 5-piece combos. No one could explain why, although it appeared I was the only passenger alert enough to notice. The groups are allowed to play only HAL's music. The group in the Ocean Bar tried, but were crippled by the music, which didn't have much after 1970 and worse, was arranged so the saxophone player was constant playing wildly off-tempo from the rest of the group. The other group played theme nights in the Queens Lounge, very monotonous and repetitious music.
Ocean Bar: Oval, 16' x 12', could be 16' x 20' with furniture pushed back. Floor in reasonable condition but too small for standard/smooth. Usually pretty much empty after 10 PM.
Queens Lounge: Semi-circular, 40' x 25', about 30' x 20' useable LOD. Floor is in good condition, but used as a multipurpose room, usually reduced to about half by furniture.
Crows Nest: Circular, 20'. Not normally used for dancing, covered with furniture.
Northern Lights “Disco”: 16' x 24', with one corner nibbled off, down to 16 x 12'. 18” pillar in the middle. Loud, obnoxious music. I spot-checked a few times, only once did I see anyone there after 11 PM.
DWTS “Classes”: These were really auditions for a Pro-Am passenger talent show, with what were called samba, tango and foxtrot. Samba started with Criss-Cross Bota Fogos, Criss-Cross Voltas and Corta Jacas. So far so good, except 90% of the women showed up wearing things like platform sandals! It quickly degenerated into prancing and arm-flailing. Tango started with a demonstration of ballroom hold, but there were only Argentine Tango-like movements. Foxtrot was absurd, with nothing that could really be called foxtrot.
The only woman in the class who could actually dance was not picked for the show, although they did take her partner, who was nowhere near her standard.

Although there is potential, do not expect HAL to deliver anything better than “poor”. I was traveling with a dance group, the dozen of us made up about 90% of the nightlife. If I had been solo, it would have been a disaster.

Last edited by Dancer Bob; November 12th, 2014 at 06:06 PM.

Old December 17th, 2014, 06:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Ruby Princess- Poor, Could Have Been Much Better.

Ruby Princess, early December 2014, Eastern Caribbean. Grand class ship, 3,000 passenger capacity.

Entertainment (Since Princess is American, I've used USA Dance tempos).
Club Fusion Overall about 32' x 40'. Useable LOD about 30' x 20' due to odd shape and furniture placed on floor.
Explorers semi-circular, base about 30', radius about 17'. Useable LOD about 10x 20. There are two concentric metal rings which may be of concern.
Wheelhouse Roughly triangular base about 20' height 12'. Not suitable for standard/smooth, limited for latin/rhythm.
Skywalkers Disco L-shaped floor, about 8' wide with 12 and 20' legs. Plexiglass and tile squares with noticeable joints. Music less loud and obnoxious than most discos.
Lobby. Tile mosaic, circular, about 12'. Not comfortable for dancing.
Crooners. Advertised as a dance venue but does not have a dance floor, only a tile area in passenger corridor.
Music:
Atomic band- contracted as a group, with their own music. Trying hard, seem to want people dancing, but usually assigned to theme nights. Many tempos just not right, not receiving any useful guidance from Princess.
DJ Robin. Some good music but infrequently scheduled. The Caribbean band had some very danceable music, but were only scheduled in the lobby.
“Ballrom Blitz” dance lessons- tango, merengue, cha-cha. The instructors appeared to have seen the figures, although they had no idea how to actually teach them.

Rated “Poor”. Although Club Fusion has a decent floor and some of the musicians tried hard, it was obvious management just didn't care. They could have done much better, but except for the group I was with, there were no more than about a dozen couples who could be said to dance.

Last edited by Dancer Bob; December 17th, 2014 at 06:47 PM.