Beaches in New Zealand

josiemartinez

Are there any beaches near any of the cruise ports in New Zealand? Am cruising on January 25th and going to Auckland, Picton, Tauranga, Rotorua (more ports but can't remember). I know NZ is cooler than Australia but I would like to have at least one beach day, if its doable. I did look at the ship's excursions but its kayaking, surfing, white water rafting, etc. I just like a lazy day on the sand.

"The Mount" will be the most easily accessible beach. It is a beautiful surf beach BUT if you swim there remember to swim between the flags. It has surf lifesavers over the summer period. It's about a 15 minute walk from the pier. We always walk around the Mount to the beach which takes over an hour but it's a lovely walk. The town is very nice also with lots of places to eat.

Auckland has some fantastic west coast surf beaches, all are black sand. Problem is they are quite a distance from the ship. Orakie and Mission Bay are white sand and are a short bus ride from the wharf. And yes you could catch the ferry, which departs right next to the ship, and travel accross to Waiheke. Personally, if I was going to Waiheke Island it wouldn't be for the beaches but i'd be sampling the extremely good wine.

We depart on the Dawn Princess on the 20th Dec (one week today) from Auckland on a Christmas New Year cruise. Must go and start packing. This will be our 3rd cruise around NZ and enjoy relaxing...no driving and NO flying as the ship returns to Auckland:)

I'm sure you'll enjoy your time in NZ, the weather is generally more settled toward the end of January and all of February.

A side note, loved New Mexico, especially Albuquerque and Sante Fe.

Paul

Edited by Tickle

We stayed at Mt Maunganui in a campervan last April and had the best time. The beach is beautiful and is where the Cruise Ships come in. The Mount itself is a great walk, we did it every morning. What a great way to start the day. A perfect place to have a lazy day on the sand.

Edited by Grey Nomad

Thanks to all of you for the input on NZ beaches. It's cold and a bit snowy in ABQ so am looking forward to the long journey to Australia and New Zealand. Greetings to my fellow New Mexican. Er....I'm originally from NYC but have been living in NM for 23 yrs. Happy Holidays.

• 4 weeks later...

Good advice here I concur!! And I live here

"The Mount" will be the most easily accessible beach. It is a beautiful surf beach BUT if you swim there remember to swim between the flags. It has surf lifesavers over the summer period. It's about a 15 minute walk from the pier. We always walk around the Mount to the beach which takes over an hour but it's a lovely walk. The town is very nice also with lots of places to eat.

Auckland has some fantastic west coast surf beaches, all are black sand. Problem is they are quite a distance from the ship. Orakie and Mission Bay are white sand and are a short bus ride from the wharf. And yes you could catch the ferry, which departs right next to the ship, and travel accross to Waiheke. Personally, if I was going to Waiheke Island it wouldn't be for the beaches but i'd be sampling the extremely good wine.

We depart on the Dawn Princess on the 20th Dec (one week today) from Auckland on a Christmas New Year cruise. Must go and start packing. This will be our 3rd cruise around NZ and enjoy relaxing...no driving and NO flying as the ship returns to Auckland:)

I'm sure you'll enjoy your time in NZ, the weather is generally more settled toward the end of January and all of February.

A side note, loved New Mexico, especially Albuquerque and Sante Fe.

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Forums