Help with train from Anchorage to Seward

Mapleleaf5

Alaska Railroad:

http://www.alaskarailroad.com/travel/Transit/Schedules/tabid/98/Default.aspx

Look under the tabs for OUR TRAINS and ONBOARD . Some people say goldstar is worth it, others not. Look at you tube video and read trip reports about peoples' experiences to see if it would be worth it to you.

Edited by mapleleaves

I just called the 800 number and booked two of the last 6 gold dome seats for June 5th. I am coming off a cruise tour and will skip the included bus trip to the ship and pay the train fee instead. There are 4 seats left now. I could have booked it on the website but I wanted to make sure this was the right train trip to get me to the ship so I called instead.

Is there a preferred side of the train we should try and reserve if going from Anchorage to Seward does anyone know? Thanks. [emoji1]

In the past, including last year, the seats are randomly assigned. And actually from Anchorage, the first section is most scenic on the right side, this switches to the left side after Portage. I move around the train and use the dome seats or open vestibules for always getting my "preferred" side.

In the past, including last year, the seats are randomly assigned. And actually from Anchorage, the first section is most scenic on the right side, this switches to the left side after Portage. I move around the train and use the dome seats or open vestibules for always getting my "preferred" side.

Thank you. [emoji1]

Is there a preferred side of the train we should try and reserve if going from Anchorage to Seward does anyone know? Thanks. [emoji1]

Either side is excellent. With Gold Star service your car will have a nice observation deck at the rear, so you can always go back there for nice views. The first portion out of Anchorage is rather boring, but once you get past Turnagain Arm it gets really nice. It is hard to say which side of the train is better because sometimes one side is better than the other.

If you book the train from Anchorage to Seward yourself thru Alaska Railroad is there a place to drop off your bags and they'll deliver them right to the ship (Radiance of the Seas) or do you have to pick them up yourself in Seward and drag them on the ship?

If you book the train from Anchorage to Seward yourself thru Alaska Railroad is there a place to drop off your bags and they'll deliver them right to the ship (Radiance of the Seas) or do you have to pick them up yourself in Seward and drag them on the ship?

You have to take care of them yourself, and I can tell you that it is not a short walk with luggage. When you take the train that is chartered by the ship it lets you off right at the ship. the regular trains stop closer to the small boat harbor. I doubt that RCCL has a shuttle.

Edited by zqvol

You have to take care of them yourself, and I can tell you that it is not a short walk with luggage. When you take the train that is chartered by the ship it lets you off right at the ship. the regular trains stop closer to the small boat harbor. I doubt that RCCL has a shuttle.

Do you know if there are taxi vans at the train station to take you to the ship? From what I understand from RCCL we would have had to change our cruise to a land and cruise to be able to use their train portion. We got such a good rate when we booked, we would have lost it to rebook with the land.

When we booked the train from Anchorage to Seward by ousrselves thru Alaska Railroad they had a place to drop our bags off at the train station in Anchorage for RCCL and they were delivered directly to the ship (Radiance of the Seas). We felt the Gold Star service was well worth it.

It will need to be verified about the luggage service from the Alaska RR noncontracted train.

In the past they have both transferred and not transferred luggage. Of course your bags would have to be properly tagged when checked in Anchorage. But, they will tell you the service.

Yes there are cabs at the Seward depot.

But, a reason many people would be taking this train is to hook up with tours. In those cases the vendors will store the bags.

I would encourage people to not rush on to the cruise ship and instead take advantage of your opportunity for some sightseeing/tours.

I just called Alaska Railroad ... she said it depends on what cruise line you travel if there is a bag transfer. RCCL has one so all we need to do is leave our bags with RCCL tags on them when we check in for the train and they will transfer it right to the ship.

I read somewhere that this year all Gold Star passengers have a meal included in the train fare. Not positive that applies to the Seward train, maybe only the tran that goes from Anchorage to Fairbanks. Seward and Anchorage are only 80 road miles apart.

I read somewhere that this year all Gold Star passengers have a meal included in the train fare. Not positive that applies to the Seward train, maybe only the tran that goes from Anchorage to Fairbanks. Seward and Anchorage are only 80 road miles apart.

maybe on the Alaska Railroad web site ?

http://www.alaskarailroad.com/travel/Onboard/Dining/tabid/547/Default.aspx

I read that either breakfast or dinner was included in gold star service from Anchorage/Seward depending on your route.

It is served, but not included in the costs of the fare. Price is reasonable as are drink prices.

It is served, but not included in the costs of the fare. Price is reasonable as are drink prices.

Thank you for the info. I had read that all inclusive dining and 2 adult beverages are offered on gold star service. Must have been for the other routes going north maybe?? Oh well, thanks for clearing that up! [emoji1]

It is 80 miles between Girdwood and Seward. it's about 125 between Anchorage and Seward.

Meals and 2 x alcoholic drinks are included in the cost of the fare with Gold Class Anchorage to Seward. This is the main reason for increase in fare for this year.