Tallinn Princess Cruises, Toompea Castle 200 steep steps

domwild

Hi,

One message I read is that a passenger on Princess had booked the excursion with bus and found their bus stopped at bottom of the castle in front of 200 steep steps, something my wife is not able to climb. However, this cruiser found other large buses were parked right at the castle gate!

A difficult question: Which bus company (not so important) and which on-seller (bus co. cannot sell directly) is going to the castle gate?

First of all, welcome to Cruise Critic and the Baltic boards.

Whomever gave you that info if just not right. Not at all. Yes, Toompea is the top of the hill and you can get a bus that will take you up there. Yes there are steps going up one way, but more like 30 or so, not that steep and there is a handrail to hold on to if balance isn't your thing.

Most people follow the great walking tout that you can get from this site and walk up to the top. It is a slight incline, but really not that difficult unless you have severe mobility issues. Once at the top enjoy all it has to offer and when ready to leave, you can walk down the steps.

The walk from where your ship docks to the entrance, Fat Margret Gate is about 10-15 minute walk on perfectly flat terrain.

I've included a few pixs so you can see what I am talking about

The walk up, is a slight incline but really not difficult at all

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster537.jpg

These are the steps going down. You can see the handrail to hold on to if there is any problems

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster584.jpg

The entrance to the old city, Fat Margret tower

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster511.jpg

Views from the top, over the roof tops out towards the harbor

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe543.jpg

Cheers

Len

Thanks for replies, especially by Giant! I can only go by a previous post of a Princess Cruise person, who reported this problem for his wife plus he saw other buses of equal size parked at the Castle's gate, which must be annoying! There must be several ways to access Toompea Castle then.

Anyway, I am not taking the Princess excursion and I will report back what I found. To me it sounds like different tours come to different gates and the bus co. going to the closest gate has to pay more for the privilege.

Just like some cruise lines go to White Bay in Sydney (cheaper) than close to Circular Quay in Sydney with its proximity to the Opera House and Bridge. Or to Nynashamn in Stockholm, which is 40 km away.

I tried to do a bit of research for this Toompea Castle. To be honest, I don't even remember seeing it?

Anyone who has the walking tour for Tallinn, is this stop on it?

Cheers

Len

Yes, the castle is on the walking tour. It makes up part of the west wall, right next to Pikk-Hermann tower (across the street from Alexander Nevsky Cathedral). It is not an old castle - think it was mostly rebuilt in the 18th century - look for the long pink building (it is actually the seat of the Estonian Parliament).

Probably more information than you wanted. :)

Edited by dogs4fun