Car rental in Kiel/Warnemunde

First, should we? Our plan is to drive from Kiel to Lubeck, and from Warnemunde to Schwerin. Is the drive much more scenic than the train ride? How is the drive (speed, traffic, road conditions)? Used to driving in California and DC, if you can make a comparison.

Second, what are the best and most convenient agencies to rent from? What is the typical cost?

Third, will my cell phone provide good GPS guidance through my map app? I am told I can use international data for free on this trip.

Thanks!

We are going from Kiel to Hamburg and decided Hamburg was too busy to drive into. From what I have read (from Travelani here) going to Lubeck (from Kiel) and Schwerin (from Warnemunde) should be an easy drive. These are on smaller roads.

We are renting from Sixt in Warnemunde. They have a desk in the cruise terminal. They also have desk in the Kiel Terminal. It is not open all year so you should check to see if it is open when you need it. Other vendors also have desks in the terminal but I am not sure which ones. They are open in the morning and you drop the keys in when you return. There are more choices in Kiel at the train station and other locations but you need to get there and back.

I have used Sixt in Europe several times and been pleased with the cars and their service. Hopefully you can drive a manual. It saves money and give a much wider car selection. A BMW 1 in Warnemunde for the day is around $100.

I don't depend on my phone for directions while driving because sometimes you can't get a good data signal for the maps. I get a GPS in the car. Sixt charges about Euro 8 for a GPS. Well worth it. My phone is the backup method.

Hope that helps....

Edited by jmps

We are going from Kiel to Hamburg and decided Hamburg was too busy to drive into. From what I have read (from Travelani here) going to Lubeck (from Kiel) and Schwerin (from Warnemunde) should be an easy drive. These are on smaller roads.

We are renting from Sixt in Warnemunde. They have a desk in the cruise terminal. They also have desk in the Kiel Terminal. It is not open all year so you should check to see if it is open when you need it. Other vendors also have desks in the terminal but I am not sure which ones. They are open in the morning and you drop the keys in when you return. There are more choices in Kiel at the train station and other locations but you need to get there and back.

I have used Sixt in Europe several times and been pleased with the cars and their service. Hopefully you can drive a manual. It saves money and give a much wider car selection. A BMW 1 in Warnemunde for the day is around $100.

I don't depend on my phone for directions while driving because sometimes you can't get a good data signal for the maps. I get a GPS in the car. Sixt charges about Euro 8 for a GPS. Well worth it. My phone is the backup method.

Hope that helps....

Thank you! Super helpful!

Be aware that most cars in Europa arenot automatic, but you need to use the stick. If you arenot familiar with that be sure you reserve a car with automatic transmission.