Great Wall at Mutianyu Cable Car Question

katisdale

I had polio as a child and use a scooter for mobility. I can walk a few feet and with assistance go up and down a step or two. We will be on a tour that stops in Mutianyu. Does the cable car stop long enough to let me get in and out of the cable car - I walk slowly with two canes. My scooter is a travelscoot which will completely collapse to go into the cable car. Is this allowed?

We went to Mutianyu a few years ago. From our experience you likely will have problems. DH had his rollator with him on that trip. It was a long, VERY steep, walk on rough cobblestones to the lower cable car terminal. DH now has a Solax Mobie folding travel scooter that can safely handle 8% grades. The travelscoot can only do 6% IIRC. We're thinking his scooter would have trouble on that incline. I can't imagine trying with a travelscoot.

We did notice that there appeared to be a road up to the lower cable car station. Even if you were permitted to be driven there, you'd have problems at the top station. From that station there are still a LOT of stairs to climb to get to the actual wall. I'd guess about 2-2.5 stories worth. Once up to the viewing 'plaza' the last stairs to The Wall are only about 4-5 steps. They are higher than standard here and, at that time, there wasn't any handrail.

DH is different than a lot of mobility impaired people in that stairs aren't a problem for him, only walking. He was able to leave his rollator at the top cable car station.

The walk up to the lower cable car station was definitely a struggle for DH. One of the guards told our guide that DH was his hero for making that walk in spite of his problems. There was a woman using metal crutches (I don't know the specific term) who also greatly struggled. She was an inspiration to DH.

For our time in China we had private guides for just the two of us. We were able to go at our own pace. That trip we went overland between Beijing and meeting up with the ship in Shanghai. Going to Mutianyu was the only thing we scheduled for that day. It wore DH out so much that we didn't do anything the next day so he could recover.

I'm sorry this isn't what you wanted to hear. I hope this helps you decide what is best for you.

Thank you for your information. I have taken the travelscoot on ramps in excess of 8% without difficulty so that is not a concern. The steps would be the big problem for me. I am happy to stay with our van while my DH explores. Again thanks for the information.

At that location buy nothing from the pesky souvenir sellers on the way . Say Poo Yow to send them away . Buy any souvenirs on the way down and you will get them for half the price .

At that location buy nothing from the pesky souvenir sellers on the way . Say Poo Yow to send them away . Buy any souvenirs on the way down and you will get them for half the price .

Actually it is "bu yao" (I don't want it) and pay about 20% of the asking price.