Opinion about skagway- frontier excursions and adventures

csroberson3

First cruise to Alaska in 2016!! We have decided after much research on cruise critic to do the Yukon Adventure with lunch in Carcross by bus only, no train. we are trying to go as budget friendly as possible but still have the best Alaskan trip we can.

I have narrowed it down to the following cruise tour companies based on recommendations and my own research. Please take a look at the list and give me your honest opinion about them.

1) Chilkoot Tours - highly recommended on cruise critic

6.5 hour bus tour

Departs at 0830

Cost for 7 people (5 adults/2 children) $633.00

2) Frontier Excursions and Adventures - receives 5 stars

6 -6.5 hour bus tour

Departs at 1030

Cost for 7 people $628.53

3) Skagway Shore Tours - found after doing research on web, 5 star

reviews on their site

6.5 hour bus tour

Departs at 1030

Cost for 7 people $729.75 (if other tours on other

islands are booked there is a $10/person discount)

4) Skagway - Tours - reviews not found so definitely questioning this company

6.5 hour bus tour

Departs at 0945

Cost for 7 people $587.00

All advice is highly seeked!! Hoping to make this a once in lifetime trip!!

Thanks

Stephanie

Have you thought about renting a car or two ? Cost would be much less and it's an extremely easy drive. You can stop when and where you want for as long as you want. Round trip to Emerald Lake and back with time in Carcross etc is around 5-6 hours (or much longer if you want)

There is very little traffic on the road, it is not like driving on the freeway back home. Most of the time you are only moving about 45-50 miles an hour so even the driver gets to see the views. Being able to pull over whenever you want is a great bonus of the car. In May I had a bear right beside the road leaving town and stopped in the middle of the road for 5-10 minutes watching with no other cars coming by. In a bus you might have slowed down but probably not have stopped for more than a minute or two.

Avis is really the only game in town so reserve early. They open at 8am and I get there about 15 minutes before that to be the first in line and out on the road.

Definitely agree about rental car. Took a family group of 8 and had wonderful day driving to Carcross and Emerald Lake. My granddaughter said it was her favorite day of the entire cruise. We rented 2 cars from Sourdough Car Rental in Skagway for total $160. Great day-reasonable price!

Also I think the last two you have listed are consolidators and don't actually run the tours themselves (I could be wrong) I have done several tours with Chilkoot and they are a very good company.

I can also recommend Dyea Dave. :)

IF open, and with your "budget" mention- plus, only wanting a road trip- frankly, car rentals are the answer from that point of view.

Extremely simple driving- 2 lanes, plenty of places to stop, including Caribou Crossing- which you have mentioned with the tours (although I don't find those included lunches worth much- Chilkoot Bakery has far superior food :) )

I'm also trying to decide about tour in Skagway. We are thinking about car rental. I'd like to hear more thoughts.

Thoughts? ALL these selections are excellent. It is up to you to determine- what interests you the most.

With a car rental- I strongly encourage first timers to purchase Murrary's Guide- "necessary" in my opinion.

The White Pass RR is superior scenery and loaded with history. A must for any rail fan. :) Combo tours are especially a nice experience.

Multiple Alaska trips are necessary, since there is far more to experience than anyone can do in a single day trip.

One more question, if we decide to do the rental car option, how do you guys feel about Sourdough Rental Company? I see mixed reviews on the web.

Thanks Again!!

I personally do not rent from them and always use Avis.