Kauai: How far to Waimea Canyon from port

forevergrowing

If you dont want to spend too much time on a tour, rent a car. We rented and basically mirrored the NCL tour to Waimea Canyon and fern grotto. We finished 2 hours faster (that is including lunch and shopping) and $200 cheaper for the family of 4. We had time to do other things....I wouldve skipped Fern Grotto and done something else, personally, but the point is, you have so many more options with renting and Kauai is so easy to get around.

Now how long does it take to get to Waimea? I forget. But then we stopped along the way too.....it wasnt long in PA driving times...maybe 45 minutes? Its not a big island.

It is about an hour from the port to the canyon. I would definitely recommend you rent a car and do the island on your own. It ends up being cheaper and you can do it at your own pace. When going up Waimea Canyon, make sure you take Waimea Canyon Drive and not the suggested route outlined by the road signs. The suggested route is windy and takes forever, while the Canyon Road is more scenic, has overlooks and is more direct. Do not miss the Spouting Horn Blowhole in Kauai. It was very cool as well as the Tunnel of Trees -- these are located by Poipu Beach.

Rent a car. Not only will it be cheaper, but you will be free to go to the top, past where the tour buses go, and even can walk out from the topmost lot at Kalalu Lookout to Puu a Kila Lookout. Whe we were there, the cloud cover broke for a minute and we could see clear down to the ocean at Pakala. Get a Nelles Map and the Moon Kauai guidebook - borrowing it from your local library. There are other good guides also which you might be able to borrow. There are two routes - we went west on Route 50, past Waimea and up

the westernmost road, Route 550 from Kekaha, and on the way down took the left fork down Wamiea Canyon Drive which ends in Waimea Town. Remember, the islands are small and distances short, but all the roads are two lanes and often very curvy. 40 mph is about the top speed, but who is in a hurry in Hawaii anyway?

Rent a car. Not only will it be cheaper, but you will be free to go to the top, past where the tour buses go, and even can walk out from the topmost lot at Kalalu Lookout to Puu a Kila Lookout. Whe we were there, the cloud cover broke for a minute and we could see clear down to the ocean at Pakala. Get a Nelles Map and the Moon Kauai guidebook - borrowing it from your local library. There are other good guides also which you might be able to borrow. There are two routes - we went west on Route 50, past Waimea and up

the westernmost road, Route 550 from Kekaha, and on the way down took the left fork down Wamiea Canyon Drive which ends in Waimea Town. Remember, the islands are small and distances short, but all the roads are two lanes and often very curvy. 40 mph is about the top speed, but who is in a hurry in Hawaii anyway?

When you leave Waiema Canyon and head back on 50 toward the ship. don't forget to stop at Jo-Jo's Clubhouse in Waimea (on the right), for THE BEST Shave Ice on Kauai (60 flavors)!! YUMMY!! Bob

• 10 years later...

Hello,

I am travelling with an elderly couple and planning to rent a car to drive from the cruiseport to Waimea Canyon. To plan for delays, including due to unfamiliarity with the area, I am thinking we should not be out for more than 5 hours.

1. I've read various comments about the driving time, ranging from 45 minutes to 2 hours each way. Can someone please confirm how long it would take to drive from the cruiseport to Waimea Canyon each way?

2. I also heard that the roads are two-lanes and quite windy, but that they are easy to manage. Is this correct?

3. Once you get to Waimea Canyon, will one be able to see the canyon without having to walk far from the car? Or do we need to park the car then walk a distance (if yes, how long and how strenuous) before we see the sights depicted in the beautiful pictures posted online of Waimea Canyon? If some walking/hiking is required, would there be a waiting area for the elderly couple to sit and wait?

4. I am sure we can stay much longer, but what would be a reasonable amount of time to spend at the canyon? Would one hour be too rushed?

5. From the cruiseport, is there a suggested route to take? I read a post suggesting we take Waimea Canyon Drive, rather than following the signs posted on the roads. Someone suggested going west on Route 50, past Waimea and up the westernmost road, Route 550 from Kekaha, and on the way down, to take the left fork down Wamiea Canyon Drive which ends in Waimea Town.

6. Any other places to visit on the way to/from Waimea Canyon Park that you can recommend?

7. We have booked a car rental with a company at the Lihue Airport, as we couldn't find any car rental agencies in Kauai or Nawiliwili itself. Is this the correct place to rent a car from once docked in Kauai?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Hello,

I am travelling with an elderly couple and planning to rent a car to drive from the cruiseport to Waimea Canyon. To plan for delays, including due to unfamiliarity with the area, I am thinking we should not be out for more than 5 hours.

1. I've read various comments about the driving time, ranging from 45 minutes to 2 hours each way. Can someone please confirm how long it would take to drive from the cruiseport to Waimea Canyon each way?

2. I also heard that the roads are two-lanes and quite windy, but that they are easy to manage. Is this correct?

3. Once you get to Waimea Canyon, will one be able to see the canyon without having to walk far from the car? Or do we need to park the car then walk a distance (if yes, how long and how strenuous) before we see the sights depicted in the beautiful pictures posted online of Waimea Canyon? If some walking/hiking is required, would there be a waiting area for the elderly couple to sit and wait?

4. I am sure we can stay much longer, but what would be a reasonable amount of time to spend at the canyon? Would one hour be too rushed?

5. From the cruiseport, is there a suggested route to take? I read a post suggesting we take Waimea Canyon Drive, rather than following the signs posted on the roads. Someone suggested going west on Route 50, past Waimea and up the westernmost road, Route 550 from Kekaha, and on the way down, to take the left fork down Wamiea Canyon Drive which ends in Waimea Town.

6. Any other places to visit on the way to/from Waimea Canyon Park that you can recommend?

7. We have booked a car rental with a company at the Lihue Airport, as we couldn't find any car rental agencies in Kauai or Nawiliwili itself. Is this the correct place to rent a car from once docked in Kauai?

We sailed 8/8/15.

We rented with Thrifty. It was at the airport, most of the companies are there. They have free shuttles at the port.

Since the new time in port is 10am there was a big crowd leaving and the shuttle wait was a bit long and the line at the thrifty counter was very very long.

Here is how our day went...

Off at 10:05 and finally in our jeep and on our way at around 11am. It took us about 35 minutes to get to the canyon- at least the first stop. We took route 50 to waimea canyon drive (550) as recommended by our guidebook. There are amazing views on this road. It is windy but perfectly manageable.

We spent a total of about 1.5 hours there. There are numerous lookouts along the way to the top of the canyon. We stopped at a lot of them. Some are official with parking lots and others are pull overs on the road side. Depending on how many you stop at will determine how much time it takes. The pull over type had little walking, although not paved flat surfaces. The official ones have parking lots but I don't remember the walk being to far at all.

We left there around 1:20 and headed back down. We stopped briefly in Poipu at spouting horn and drove down the tunnel of trees (route 520). The times on my pictures have this in the 2 to 2:20 range.

Then we headed past Lihue and up to Opaekaa falls...quick 10 minute stop and then to Wailua falls, another 10 minutes. They are about 20 minutes apart or so. The times on my pictures have these stops time stamped between 3 and 3:40.

We stopped briefly at Hilo Hatties, got gas and returned the jeep. The shuttle back to the ship was waiting. We were on board just before 5pm.

We didn't stop for a lunch, but snacked in the jeep along the way. There were a few bathroom breaks though. We didn't rush. We found the roads fine, traffic not too bad on this island at all, but overall speed limits are 45 or less.

I hope that helps you with your questions.....

Hello,

I've driven many times to the Canyon, and have taken both routes. It's of no concern to me, the so called "windy" route. Easy drive. Yes, to see the Canyon, you have to get out of a car. The "major" stop- where all the tours go, is an expansive view. There are stairs, or a switchback ramp, to the viewing, but it is uphill. You can drop off right at the entrance.

I would suggest, allowing an hour to get there. If it takes a little less- so what? :) I would also suggest the scenic drive and look at Spouting Horn, maybe a stop at Kauai Coffee farm?

There is one main stop where all the tour buses stop. A must stop with a rental car.

However there are other places to stop further up the road with great views of the canyon. One even has a little rest area with picnic tables. We stopped at a store along the way for drinks and snacks and just relaxed away from the bus crowds.

The nice thing about a rental car is the many places to stop on the way to and from the canyon. One interesting place we found on the way back was the orginal landing spot of Captain John Cook. See link below...

http://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/Asian_American_and_Pacific_Islander_Heritage/Cook-Landing-Site.htm

Edited by jack300s

The drive from port to the Canyon about 45 minutes to hour. Be sure to drive to the end of Canyon Drive. Last time we cruised tonHawaii a bunch in our group stopped at the first viewing point missing the most beautiful view of ocean and canyon together. My husband is mobility challenged but it was not bad for him. At the first viewing area there is a ramp but has rails to help. The other viewing area was flatter.

On the way back once down the canyon road and back on 50 I think(main road) head to poipu village for a puka dog and shaved ice at Puka Dog as well as souvenirs at ABC. Then travel to Spouting Horn(I thought it was a waste but everyone should go once) and then to poipu beach for a look at the water even if you don't get out due to the Elderly.

We had our car for about 5 hours.