Getting married in Skagway not thru cruiseline

DataDon

Will be cruising RCL Sept. 2, 2016 with ports stops in Juneau, Skagway, Victoria. Taking son & fiance and daughter and boyfriend. Son wants to get married in Alaska while on this trip but not thru the cruiseline due to cost. They only want a simple & quick ceremony. Originally thought they would apply for license by mail and tie the knot at city hall or Justice of The Peace in Juneau. That won't work because ship is there on a Sunday and government offices would be closed. Next port is Skagway but looks like Magistrate's office closed on Mondays which is when ship is in port. Just called and Magistrate is out of office this week so can't call and ask questions. I think we can find a wedding officiant in either of those ports but how do we pick up the license? Any ideas?

Call the "City Hall" during business hours. I would suggest out of Juneau. Skagway isn't likely to anyone on "fixed" schedules. :) Only place this information should come from.

Direct accurate information.

Hey,

I'm also getting married in Alaska (not through the cruise line). What port are you leaving out of? If you're leaving out of whittier, you can get your marriage license in Anchorage prior to the cruise and it's valid in any port (including juneau). From there you can hire an officiant to marry you pretty much where every you want, any time you want (or you can get certified online to do it for pretty cheap). The officiant just needs to verify and fill out the rest of the marriage license and turn it in. You'll be mailed the marriage certificate once the license and officiant signature is reviewed a few weeks later.

Hey,

I'm also getting married in Alaska (not through the cruise line). What port are you leaving out of? If you're leaving out of whittier, you can get your marriage license in Anchorage prior to the cruise and it's valid in any port (including juneau). From there you can hire an officiant to marry you pretty much where every you want, any time you want (or you can get certified online to do it for pretty cheap). The officiant just needs to verify and fill out the rest of the marriage license and turn it in. You'll be mailed the marriage certificate once the license and officiant signature is reviewed a few weeks later.

With the Victoria mention- they likely are on a round trip Seattle cruise?

Yep - roundtrip Seattle. We called Vital Statistics in Juneau and spoke with Tammy who explained how to get the license mailed to us. Since we'll be in Juneau on Sunday when all offices are closed, we can mail the license applications with the fee plus a copy of our cruise itinerary and they will mail the license to us. Now need to find a marriage commissioner and a spot to have the ceremony. It's 11 months away and we're off to a good start. Thanks for help and advice to nix Skagway.

i think you could have a member of your party be the marriage officiate.

alaska has a process where one can become marriage officiate for one day, and one day only......

i don't think there is a residency requirement but get the actual skinny from the bureau of vital statistics.

Since you're coming in September (and well, coming to SE AK) there's a good chance of rain. You can reserve very nice shelters at Sandy Beach, Auke Bay Recreation park, or the Skater's Cabin for weddings at little to no cost. Sandy Beach info here. Skater's Cabin in through the park service. Auke Bay Rec's shelters are too, so I'd go to the Federal park service for info there too. That's what all the locals do. All have fireplaces, and bathrooms close. You can pick up a bundle of wood at any store, flowers, a bottle of champagne, and you're good to go. :D