Hotels for July nearly booked?

PG123

Hello All,

We were planning to do a week on our own, but when looking for accommodations near Denali for the last week in July, I'm finding very few vacancies already! So now we're thinking of booking a self drive tour with GoAlaska. Does that make sense? Are they a good company? Suggestions?

Hello All,

We were planning to do a week on our own, but when looking for accommodations near Denali for the last week in July, I'm finding very few vacancies already! So now we're thinking of booking a self drive tour with GoAlaska. Does that make sense? Are they a good company? Suggestions?

What hotels have you looked at? Are you restrictive in what you want? Are the "few" that you found- unacceptable?

What is goalaska going to get you? The specific hotel you want?

No, doesn't make sense to me at this point. ;)

Edited by Budget Queen

Well I used Trip Advisor and the only two that had availabilty were $400 -$500/night. All the rest said no match for our dates. Would they all be booked already, or should I start calling them? Is this too late to be booking hotels?

Well I used Trip Advisor and the only two that had availabilty were $400 -$500/night. All the rest said no match for our dates. Would they all be booked already, or should I start calling them? Is this too late to be booking hotels?

First mistake is using a booking agent. :) There are a lot of lodging that aren't going to be there.

What are you looking for? http://www.alaskaone.com/_DCC/accommodations/

Have you checked any of these? I am assuming you will have a car?

IF you would be ok with a basic "motel" I highly recommend Denali Park Hotel.

I never book my lodging this early and never have a problem finding something. BUT I am very flexible. Again- what would you be looking for?

Edited by Budget Queen

That was me pushing the panic button. I booked Denali Bluffs for now, had some sticker shock at $279 night, which converted to Canadian approaches $400. But I guess you pay for the location. Is it close to the Denali entrance?

Thank you for the website info, I'll check it out.

That was me pushing the panic button. I booked Denali Bluffs for now, had some sticker shock at $279 night, which converted to Canadian approaches $400. But I guess you pay for the location. Is it close to the Denali entrance?

Thank you for the website info, I'll check it out.

Most of the rooms at the large hotels in the "Glitter Gulch" area are held at this time for the large tour groups that populate them during the summer. These include the Princess, the McKinley Chalets, the Grande Denali, and the Denali Bluffs.

If you have a car, check into places in the town of Healy which is about 15 minutes north. Budget Queen mentioned one and there are many more up there. Do a search on google for Healy Alaska lodging. My wife and I just stayed at the White Moose Lodge for the Denali Road Lottery period. It's a perfectly acceptable motel in Healy with summer rates around $125.00. There are also many bed and breakfast places and a few decent places to eat as well.

Edited by Chenega

Thanks, I'll check those out. We really didn't realize how far in advance we needed to plan!

Also, we are planning to spend a few days in the Kenai area. Do we have to return our car to Anchorage and take the train, or can we return it to Whittier?

Thanks, I'll check those out. We really didn't realize how far in advance we needed to plan!

Also, we are planning to spend a few days in the Kenai area. Do we have to return our car to Anchorage and take the train, or can we return it to Whittier?

The Kenai Peninsula? Kenai is a town on the Cook Inlet.

You are cruising out of Whittier?

IF you are short on time- the time savings can be significant for a Whitter drop off. As mentioned, you have to book through AVIS. Before you turn up your nose at the price- think about what your time is worth and what the Alaska touring you can add is worth. :) How often you are going to get back there.

Thank you all so much for the advice. I'm doing much better with my reservations.

But still grappling with the car rental. The car rental at Avis will cost $500 more than returning the car to Anchorage (that's about $670 Canadian). How long would it take to return car to the airport from Moose Pass, and also, do you pick up the train from the airport?

How long would it take to return car to the airport from Moose Pass, and also, do you pick up the train from the airport?

Moose Pass to the airport is about 2 hours, plus any construction. To get to the train depot from the airport, you'll need to take a taxi to downtown.

Thank you all so much for the advice. I'm doing much better with my reservations.

But still grappling with the car rental. The car rental at Avis will cost $500 more than returning the car to Anchorage (that's about $670 Canadian). How long would it take to return car to the airport from Moose Pass, and also, do you pick up the train from the airport?

No the train is downtown at the depot. Why are you staying at Moose Pass??? There is little there, and usually a pass through, in my opinion. The Whittier train leaves at 10am. So not really a good idea to be staying in Moose Pass the night before. I'm assuming you will be in Anchorage? An alternative would be to train to Seward, stay there, then go direct to Whittier. Last year there was a shuttle service, PJ's Taxi is a long time vendor, I have used.

We have decided we don't want to go back to Anchorage, and will just return our car in Whittier.

So we have the Ramada booked first night in Anchorage - we can use their airport shuttle to get to the hotel, which is close to the downtown Avis to get our car.

Then drive to Talkeetna on Sunday to stay at B&B on C, or another B&B. Then two nights at the Denali Park Hotel, (thank you Budget Queen).

I found the Summit Lake Lodge, which is in Moose Pass and I thought it might be good for Wed and Thur night, to return to after exploring the area but maybe not? WE are thinking Thursday would be a Kenai fjords cruise.

Then on Friday afternoon drive to Whittier, return the car, have dinner and stay at the Inn in Whittier, maybe do a little kayaking or something Sat morning and be ready to board the Coral around noon.

Open to any advice or suggestions, I really appreciate your help!

We have decided we don't want to go back to Anchorage, and will just return our car in Whittier.

So we have the Ramada booked first night in Anchorage - we can use their airport shuttle to get to the hotel, which is close to the downtown Avis to get our car.

Then drive to Talkeetna on Sunday to stay at B&B on C, or another B&B. Then two nights at the Denali Park Hotel, (thank you Budget Queen).

I found the Summit Lake Lodge, which is in Moose Pass and I thought it might be good for Wed and Thur night, to return to after exploring the area but maybe not? WE are thinking Thursday would be a Kenai fjords cruise.

Then on Friday afternoon drive to Whittier, return the car, have dinner and stay at the Inn in Whittier, maybe do a little kayaking or something Sat morning and be ready to board the Coral around noon.

Open to any advice or suggestions, I really appreciate your help!

What are you planning with "exploring the area" around Moose Pass?? IF you are thinking Seward- then I suggest you stay there. IF you continue with Moose Pass, then look to see if you have any interest along the Sterling, so to make it worthwhile all the added distance and transit time.

You don't mention what you want to do in these areas? So my suggestion- that should have done before any reservations. There is no point in being somewhere 2 nights or even a single night- if your activities don't line up with your distances. Especially with short time. I see a lot of poor plans doing this- only a general comment. Not assuming you haven't already done this.

Overall with Alaska planning- IF you determine and select your activities of priority and do an extensive search of what areas offer, your lodging selection and timing are clearly determined, with a far better overall itinerary.

As an FYI I easily booked a hotel in Healy two weeks before my arrival this past August..which is probably not smart ..but maybe there are some downsides to planning way too far in advance.

I put together last minute plans all the time in Alaska, last year- even added Katmai/Lake Clark at the last minute. (helped with some contacts, however)

The "downside" I see over and over- are the jump into bookings, without - first- knowing why you are there. Some choices, are simply not good itineraries. Then- frequently the reluctance to change. :)