Bus Question

mcmarya

We will be making a stop in Aruba and January and want to go to Catalina Cove for snorkeling. We normally take the bus and will do so if we can make a good connection. On the website they mention Retour cards which are $4 and are good for 2 rides. Are these sold at the port or on the bus? Otherwise, what is the current fare per person per ride? I tried e-mailing for information but got no response.

Thanks

I think the bus is either $2.40 or $2.80 US, I've seen it at Catalina Cove.

Here's some advice for Catalina Cove, leave your stuff there and walk the beach two blocks heading towards the cruise docks to Boca Catalina and put in there and slowly go back to CC, then repeat. Do it close to shore, over the reef area and outside the reef area. We saw two turtles last week just outside the reef in the sandy area.

• 1 month later...

When we were at the station (last month) the booth where they sell those cards was not even open (perhaps the lady took a break). But you can always pay for your fare to the driver and it is only $2.40 per rider. The bummer is that if you pay in US Dollars the driver will still give you Arubian coins for change (good if you collect coins).

Hank

Until the last year or so, we used to get round trip tickets from the bus driver. They had a huge price increase, and changed the policy for getting the round trip tickets to retour tickets. I haven't heard anything about getting them at the bus station. I know that they sell them at their office near the airport and have heard that you can buy them at Superfoods grocery store, which is in Eagle Beach, but these would cost cruisers more if they traveled to these destinations to get them. I would ask the bus driver when you get on the bus if he has them. If not, it only costs a little more to buy the tickets again on the return trip. Take small bills. You will get your change in florins.

Thanks for the info. We will be on one of those ridiculously short port stops (7 am - 12:30 pm) and might take a quick trip to the beach if we can catch an early bus, probably before the ticket booth is open. We'll just pay with cash, assuming it seems worthwhile to try.

Thanks for the info. We will be on one of those ridiculously short port stops (7 am - 12:30 pm) and might take a quick trip to the beach if we can catch an early bus, probably before the ticket booth is open. We'll just pay with cash, assuming it seems worthwhile to try.

Yes, it is definitely worth making a short trip to the beach. You'll be glad that you did :)

Thanks and yes, not a big difference. I guess I wanted to partly make sure they still take cash. In some places, you either have a card of some sort or you don't ride at all.

Not to worry on Aruba. The bus drivers take cash (US or Arubian) as do taxis, van taxis, etc. But it is wise to carry some small bills (ones and fives) since they may not have change in dollars.

Hank