Klondike gold rush Skagway original photographs

Alaskanb

Skagway is one of those ports of great historical significance. I always advise folks to read about the Klondike gold rush before taking an excursion on the railroad or by bus. Pierre Berton has written books on the topic as has Howard Blum, and others. It's a fascinating story of highly adventurous people --including a great uncle!

I recently came across the source of many of the photographs we see in books about the trails to the Yukon from Skagway and Dyea. http://digitalcollections.lib.washington.edu/cdm/search/collection/laroche/searchterm/klondike/field/all/mode/all/conn/and/cosuppress/

Thanks for posting this site. The pictures and the descriptions that go along with them are wonderful.

After three visits to the Yukon as far north as Eagle and passing through Dawson City, Whitehorse, and Lake Bennett I have REALLY enjoyed the literature of that period in Alaska and Yukon history. I recently read I Married the Klondike by Pierre Berton's mother and will soon start on Klondike Fever by Pierre Berton. History really comes alive when we can visit these places. Parks Canada has some wonderful presentations (in costume) in Dawson City.