Mosquitoes?

GreeniePrincess

I completely agree!! Also lived almost all mi life in Puerto Rico and have never been sick from a mosquito bite (winter flu knocks me out a few days every few years but...). Stay indoors at dusk and dawn and/or use DEET bug repellent when outdoors. BTW some larger hotels/resorts have small DEET spray available to guests who actually ask for it. This is sometimes and expensive "amenity" for the hotels to advertise but if you ask, chances are they'll hand you a spray can for you to take.

I agree too. Recently stayed in PR and deet was available free at the Marriot. Never used it. We ate outdoors all the time, frequently sat on our balcony. Found the mossies less troublesome than a lot of other countries.

Zika has been around for decades, strange that only Brazil has the deformed babies. It could be just a mutation in Brazil. Have seen pictures of open drains in the favelas worse than anything in the Caribbean.

Thank you all. After doing a lot more research and confirming that I am pregnant, on the advice of my doctor, I did cancel the trip. However my other family members have decided to continue with the trip as Royal Caribbean would not refund their money as the travel restrictions at this time only apply to pregnant women and Royal Caribbean will only offer cruise credit to those in the same room as pregnant travelers. I will pass the information on to my parents and sister about the information others have posted about areas/times where they are less likely to encounter mosquitoes, as they are concerned about the potential risks of other neurologic conditions that now may also be linked to Zika, and are looking to avoid mosquitoes as much as possible too. I appreciate everyone's assistance and concern!

Thank you all. After doing a lot more research and confirming that I am pregnant, on the advice of my doctor, I did cancel the trip. However my other family members have decided to continue with the trip as Royal Caribbean would not refund their money as the travel restrictions at this time only apply to pregnant women and Royal Caribbean will only offer cruise credit to those in the same room as pregnant travelers. I will pass the information on to my parents and sister about the information others have posted about areas/times where they are less likely to encounter mosquitoes, as they are concerned about the potential risks of other neurologic conditions that now may also be linked to Zika, and are looking to avoid mosquitoes as much as possible too. I appreciate everyone's assistance and concern!

GreeniePrincess - congratulations on your pregnancy:). The missed cruise will likely be of little importance in years to come, as you build new memories with your child and the rest of your family.

Hey, Robin. Long time no see.

Hey there :) We were on the Freedom last year, but we are coming "home" to San Juan and the Adventure of the Seas on Thursday!

Question - what restaurant took the place of Cherry Blossom next door to the Marriott Stellaris? We are actually staying at La Concha this year, and we are looking for a good and reasonably priced place to eat on Friday night that is within walking distance of our hotel. Any suggestions?

How are things with you?

Hey there :) We were on the Freedom last year, but we are coming "home" to San Juan and the Adventure of the Seas on Thursday!

Question - what restaurant took the place of Cherry Blossom next door to the Marriott Stellaris? We are actually staying at La Concha this year, and we are looking for a good and reasonably priced place to eat on Friday night that is within walking distance of our hotel. Any suggestions?

How are things with you?

Sorry I missed this. I trust you are enjoying your cruise right now.

Actually no, we are flying to San Juan on Thursday! ✈️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, that's right! Well, then. To answer your questions, I don't think there's a restaurant where the Cherry Blossom used to be yet. They put a new CVS pharmacy next to that locale.

I'll get back to you on restaurant recommendations soon.

Robyn, do you still have my email address? I remembered that I can't make specific recommendations on the San Juan board.

In general terms, I can't think of any moderately priced restaurant in the Condado area other than the Denny's at the Condado Plaza Hilton. I usually don't dine in the Condado area, so I could be missing something. The thing is, there's another restaurant strip near Condado, but maybe not quite a short walk away, which is becoming more popular as the rents there are cheaper so the prices are more reasonable. It's a backstreet called Calle Loiza. It's like a hipster community and they have all kinds of neat and affordable restaurants (Greek, Argentinian, Cuban, Seafood, creative cuisine, local and Dominican cuisine, pizza places, vegetarian, etc.). All are a short taxi ride away or if you're feeling adventurous you might want to trek there. The area is not any less safe than the Condado area, but since it's an up and coming neighborhood, there are some run down buildings here and there that give some people second thoughts. Personally, I prefer it over Condado since it's a more genuine experience, as people who come visit me from the mainland often say, especially since Condado seems to be overrun with tourist traps. Just my humble opinion.

Now, I don't know about their prices, but right in your hotel they have an Italian restaurant that's supposed to be fantastic. John Paulson, a NYC billionaire, bought the hotel and he had his favorite New York restaurant open one in his property. Can't say the name but it will be obvious once you get to the hotel.

Anyway, if you want to email me for more suggestions, shoot.

Robyn, do you still have my email address? I remembered that I can't make specific recommendations on the San Juan board.

In general terms, I can't think of any moderately priced restaurant in the Condado area other than the Denny's at the Condado Plaza Hilton. I usually don't dine in the Condado area, so I could be missing something. The thing is, there's another restaurant strip near Condado, but maybe not quite a short walk away, which is becoming more popular as the rents there are cheaper so the prices are more reasonable. It's a backstreet called Calle Loiza. It's like a hipster community and they have all kinds of neat and affordable restaurants (Greek, Argentinian, Cuban, Seafood, creative cuisine, local and Dominican cuisine, pizza places, vegetarian, etc.). All are a short taxi ride away or if you're feeling adventurous you might want to trek there. The area is not any less safe than the Condado area, but since it's an up and coming neighborhood, there are some run down buildings here and there that give some people second thoughts. Personally, I prefer it over Condado since it's a more genuine experience, as people who come visit me from the mainland often say, especially since Condado seems to be overrun with tourist traps. Just my humble opinion.

Now, I don't know about their prices, but right in your hotel they have an Italian restaurant that's supposed to be fantastic. John Paulson, a NYC billionaire, bought the hotel and he had his favorite New York restaurant open one in his property. Can't say the name but it will be obvious once you get to the hotel.

Anyway, if you want to email me for more suggestions, shoot.

Thanks so much for getting back to me - I don't still have your email, however mine is in my profile, so you could send me a quick note and I will respond.

I have also heard about the restaurant in La Concha - I will look at it a little more closely now :)

We are staying post cruise at the Stellaris.

Looking forward to escaping the Canadian cold - the day we leave it is supposed to dip to minus 25! :eek::eek:

Edited by ckrobyn