New Orleans questions--not related to a cruise...

jenjens1023

DD and a friend are seeing a show at the Saenger Theater in New Orleans. They are staying near the New Orleans Lake Front Airport. Is there somewhere cheap or free to park near the trolley line so they could avoid what is bound to be expensive parking near the theater?

They would like to do some exploring on Sunday. Are things open?

The Saenger is at the corner of Canal and Rampart. A new streetcar line is being constructed on Rampart, and it is a mess, with traffic restricted to one lane in each direction, and Rampart is where a number of parking lots used by Saenger patrons are located.

What your daughter may want to do is find a parking spot on Canal (free) and ride the streetcar ($1.25) to the Saenger. Canal is well-lighted with lots of traffic, so safety should not be a problem.

Are they staying at the RV resort? Frankly, I'd drive and park close to the theater. Crime is high right now and unless it is a matinee (is it a matinee?), I personally would want my car close by. Everything is open on Sunday.

The crime is not usually in the tourist areas, but having a car close by and staying aware of their surroundings is always a good tip.

I wouldn't expect parking to be more than 20-30 dollars.

Edited by spleenstomper

My friend who is a photographer and who has to park everywere said this:

"I've rarely paid for parking when going to the Sanger. Depending on the day or the time you can always try to find on street free parking at a meter along Canal St. or on either side of the Roosevelt Hotel if you're there early enough. Only a couple of blocks away. During paid hours there's a good, 1 level covered lot on the corner of Burgundy & Iberville with entrance on both streets. Between The Saint Hotel and Ruby Slipper Cafe, between Canal and Iberville. Pay machine and usually doesn't jack up rates for special events but not 100% sure about that. It's not very big and can fill up quickly."

Everyone I asked about this said to bring the car, citing safety concerns.

• 2 weeks later...