Helicopter Tours

marmstro

We are going to splurge on a helicopter tour during our cruise or post-cruise stay on the Big Island. What would you suggest as being the best island for a helicopter tour and why? Best tour operator? Thank you!

We are going to splurge on a helicopter tour during our cruise or post-cruise stay on the Big Island. What would you suggest as being the best island for a helicopter tour and why? Best tour operator? Thank you!

The two you see suggested most often here are either Kauai or the Big Island for views of the Volcano in VNP. Those two have the most spectacular scenery which is very difficult to access any other way.

If you are going to vacation on the BI after the cruise, you will have plenty of time to explore VNP by car or on foot and also to perhaps be in the park after dark to see the glow from the crater. That would be more than enough VNP for me.

My preference would be to do the heli in Kauai. The places you get into will literally take your breath away. Into the valleys of the Na Pali coastline, down into Waimea Canyon, down inside the crater of a volcano, waterfalls, coastline...top thing I have done, ever. Highly recommend Blue Hawaiian due to their equipment, Eco Star, attention to safety and professionalism. Do your research on the various websites, and read reviews. We were picked up at our ship, the POA.

Someone posted a trip review here recently, and they had a horror story to tell about their experience with another company.

Would you be so kind as to tell me or give me the link to that trip review thread. Friends we just met on a cruise has told us about doing a helicopter tour in Kauai and we need all the info we can get to help us make a decision.

The two you see suggested most often here are either Kauai or the Big Island for views of the Volcano in VNP. Those two have the most spectacular scenery which is very difficult to access any other way.

If you are going to vacation on the BI after the cruise, you will have plenty of time to explore VNP by car or on foot and also to perhaps be in the park after dark to see the glow from the crater. That would be more than enough VNP for me.

My preference would be to do the heli in Kauai. The places you get into will literally take your breath away. Into the valleys of the Na Pali coastline, down into Waimea Canyon, down inside the crater of a volcano, waterfalls, coastline...top thing I have done, ever. Highly recommend Blue Hawaiian due to their equipment, Eco Star, attention to safety and professionalism. Do your research on the various websites, and read reviews. We were picked up at our ship, the POA.

Someone posted a trip review here recently, and they had a horror story to tell about their experience with another company.

Would you be so kind as to tell me or give me the link to that trip review thread. Friends we just met on a cruise has told us about doing a helicopter tour in Kauai and we need all the info we can get to help us make a decision.

I can't do a link, but the review is currently on the first page of the main NCL message board today. The whole report is well worth a read, but the part about the helicopter tour starts with post #286. The report is "Aloha is Love Review of POA in Hawaii by sjmbruce.

Punkincc pretty much covered it all.....these are two very different adventures.

We first took the tour of the Big Island - Saw a lot of volcanic activity and so much you can ONLY see from a helicopter! Our Blue Hawaiin Pilot was so knowledgeable and enthusiastic - it was a jaw-dropping morning.

Kauai - Beautiful Jungles, waterfalls, a "turn-around" INSIDE a crater....and again, the most amazing and friendly pilot.

** Blue Hawaiian pilots have incredible knowledge of the islands, and kept the chat going with all of us, we all departed smiling and wishing our flight never ended.

** Leave your cameras on the ship. You don't want to be too busy trying to take photos and miss so many amazing sights. Blue Hawiian offers a reasonably priced CD that is PERSONALIZED, the CD even includes you in it. I am not a CD buyer, but we have watched and shared the BH videos over and over.

Any thoughts on if morning or afternoon would be better?

Mornings tend to have the clearest weather. Clouds start gathering on the higher elevations as the day progresses. So afternoon tours could find their views hampered by clouds and mist.

Mornings tend to have the clearest weather. Clouds start gathering on the higher elevations as the day progresses. So afternoon tours could find their views hampered by clouds and mist.

Ditto.......

We booked late so ended up with the first flight of the day - turned out so perfect we booked the second early also.

Both of our pilots said the same thing punkincc posted - the earlier the better

We then went back to the ship for a great and leisurely breakfast and enjoyed a peaceful day on an almost empty ship :D

Oh, one of the days, I ventured out after breakfast and rode the free bus to Hilo Hatties and walked over to Walmart where I found "gifts" and souveniers......including Choc covered Macadamia nuts.

Edited by SMerritt

• 1 month later...
Other than the helicopters without doors which tour company is the best if you want to take pictures and want to avoid the glare from the glass ?

If you are a true photography buff or a professional, I'd just go for a "doors off". If you just want to take vacation snap shots like most of us, I'd go with Blue Hawaiian and instead buy their video of "your" personal tour. I started out thinking I'd take some pictures, but the experience was so overwhelming, I quickly decided to simply immerse myself in it and to heck with the pictures. It is hard to covey the exhilarion, awe and emotion this tour brings out in you. The pilot tries to talk to each passenger throughout in order to have your comments on the video. I was completely speechless the entire trip, couldn't utter a single syllable.:D.

One tip I have seen is to avoid wearing white in order to reduce reflection in the glass.

If you are a true photography buff or a professional, I'd just go for a "doors off". If you just want to take vacation snap shots like most of us, I'd go with Blue Hawaiian and instead buy their video of "your" personal tour. I started out thinking I'd take some pictures, but the experience was so overwhelming, I quickly decided to simply immerse myself in it and to heck with the pictures. It is hard to covey the exhilarion, awe and emotion this tour brings out in you. The pilot tries to talk to each passenger throughout in order to have your comments on the video. I was completely speechless the entire trip, couldn't utter a single syllable.:D.

One tip I have seen is to avoid wearing white in order to reduce reflection in the glass.

Agree 100% on all of the above! Thanks for the white clothing tip. They offer two videos, one generic, and one personal with you in it. Reasonably priced quality videos - we have actually played them often, you don't want to miss anything messing with a phone or camera.....

We too recommend Blue Hawaii.

We did an early one, first week in October, and the weather was terrible, but it was still a great experience! :-)

Get the dvd after the trip!

As for sickness, my daughter in law a year earlier, was sick right near the end, but I suppose if you fully prepare yourself prior (food intake/tabs etc) you could avoid it!

Edited by mufc99

I would love to do a helicopter tour.......have never been on one. But I do sometimes have a small problem with motion sickness, not bad but there. How bad would a helicopter ride be with that in mind? Thanks.

Everyone is different, so it's hard to say. I would think the fact that you are constantly looking off into the distance to see the view would minimize any motion sickness as this helps the brain make sense of things. It's the reason some people get seasick inside the ship, all motion but no horizion, but not out on the deck. Or getting carsick in the backseat of a car, but not in the front seat where you can more easily see outside, or reading ( not looking outside ) vs not reading in a car.

If you have any doubts, make some Bonine before the tour just in case as suggested.