Question: Norwegian Gem Specialty Restaurants Cost

Rafael3000

I found the costs for specialty restaurants on Norwegian Gem somewhere online and they are described as "cover charges", they range from $10 to about $35. I don't understand what do these cover charges actually include..

Does it mean you only pay the cover charge no matter how much you order or no matter what you order?

Thanks

Here's the NCL page dealing with it:

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/gem/whats-on-board/specialty-dining

We took the Gem last year when more of the restaurants (if not all) were based around cover charges. Now some of them are cover charge, and some are a la carte, meaning you pay per item like a normal restaurant.

The cover charge was generally a flat fee that you pay, and then when you are at the restaurant you order to your heart's content and don't pay any extra* other than alchohol. We dined at Cagneys (it's a la carte now FYI) and ordered two appetizers each and a main court and a dessert and it was all included.

(*it's possible that crazy expensive items have an additional surcharge, for a hypothetical example, filet mignon topped with lobster, topped with truffle topped with gold leaf etc)

Edited by MissJessicaB

I found the costs for specialty restaurants on Norwegian Gem somewhere online and they are described as "cover charges", they range from $10 to about $35. I don't understand what do these cover charges actually include..

Does it mean you only pay the cover charge no matter how much you order or no matter what you order?

Thanks

Cover charges were replaced with a la carte (pay per item ordered) dining. Teppanyaki and Monderno continue to have a flat rate cover charge (since you don't really order any items). As do entertainment based dining (Cirque Dreams, Illusionarium, Supper Club Cabaret) which have a fixed menu + a show).

If they switch to a la carte, does it make sense to buy a dining package?

Good question!

IN WHICH VENUES WILL MY SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE BE HONORED?

Specialty dining packages are honored in Cagney's Steakhouse, Moderno Churrascaria, Teppanyaki and our French and Italian restaurants across the fleet, as well as Margaritaville on board Norwegian Escape. Guests who have purchased the package may also choose to dine in other select à la carte priced restaurants, entertainment-based restaurants, Bayamo, Pincho Tapas Bar, and Ocean Blue restaurants, for the following per person upcharges:

• The Supper Club - $15 USD

• Ocean Blue - $15 USD

• Bayamo - $15 USD

• Cirque Dreams/Illusionarium - $10 USD regular seats/$15 USD premium seats/$35 USD VIP seating on Breakaway

• Sushi -$7 USD

• Raw Bar - $7 USD (does not include Seafood Plateau. If ordered, the upcharge is to be waived)

• Pincho Tapas Bar - $7 USD

It does make sense to buy the package in my opinion. You can use it at many of the a la carte restaurants still thankfully. The a la carte pricing is more for someone who wants less meals with more flexibility.

• 3 weeks later...