Need hotel for 3 nights in Buenos Aires

dottedline

We're staying 3 nights post cruise and have never been to South America. We enjoy walking and browsing in shops, stopping in bars or restaurants for snacks. What neighborhoods do you suggest?

So excited about this trip!

There are quite a few posts on BsAs hotels, mine among them. We stayed at Alvear Art...a nice location between Retiro and Recoleta. Quiet street and beautiful hotel/rooms. Excellent service. I'd say it was a 10-15 minute walk in different directions to get to good restos.

There are quite a few posts on BsAs hotels, mine among them. We stayed at Alvear Art...a nice location between Retiro and Recoleta. Quiet street and beautiful hotel/rooms. Excellent service. I'd say it was a 10-15 minute walk in different directions to get to good restos.

Palermo neighborhood is the very nice one (north of city center), but it is in my opinion too far from the city center.

The Retiro or Recoleta area is good, but a bit more expensive.

We stayed in an area off the subway line a bit west of the city center. We found a great B&B there.

Our Bed and Breakfast, El Jardin Del Tango

El Jardin Del Tango has to locations, close to each other. We booked Casa Jasmin and took the option not to share the sole bathroom for the apartment. We had the apartment to ourselves. It had a kitchen, bathroom, living room, two full bedrooms and another small bedroom. Price was excellent. Location was great with easy access to the Metro or walking to many areas in the city. The apartment is located on the sixth floor of an apartment building. It was like staying in a middle class Buenos Aires apartment, which gave us a sense of living there. The refrigerator was stocked with juices, milk, yogurt, melon, eggs and more. There were cereals, coffee, tea and bread. Rachael brought us bananas, since I mentioned that I liked bananas.

We made friends with the owner, Rachael. She was great company. Also, she gave us many tips on getting around the city as well as booking our tango show. She spent much time just enjoying our company and pointing out free walking tours, as well as places to see in the city. She showed us bus 29 which cost 35 cents each to go to la Boca. We felt like we made a friend in Rachel as well as had a more authentic Argentine experience. There were inexpensive restaurants in the neighborhood as well as markets. I purchased two bottles of wine for six dollars.

Rachel introduced us to Mate, a kind of herbal South American drink that reduces appetite. We tried it and Ginny liked it more than I did. It is expensive in the USA, but relatively inexpensive in South America.

I would recommend El Jardin del Tango for a family. We had the entire apartment for $80 per night that would have slept at least 5 persons. It was not a luxury hotel, but it was spacious, comfortable with a great location. Also, Rachel was our friend in Buenos Aires.

Thank you both! I'm searching multiple hotel sites but it helps so much talking with people who have been there.

The four of us are in out 60's and 70's, and while we enjoy a nice walk we do wish to be fairly close to our hotel while we're out and about. Unless, of course, we're on a motorized tour.

Now, if I can just figure out the confusing visa application. Reading the comments on CC I've come to the conclusion that we can apply for the visa outside of 90 days prior to the trip and inside 90 days prior. lol.

One thing that does have me baffled- how does one get a notarized copy of a driver's license? Can a notary stamp a simple copy of one?

Thank you both! I'm searching multiple hotel sites but it helps so much talking with people who have been there.

The four of us are in out 60's and 70's, and while we enjoy a nice walk we do wish to be fairly close to our hotel while we're out and about. Unless, of course, we're on a motorized tour.

Now, if I can just figure out the confusing visa application. Reading the comments on CC I've come to the conclusion that we can apply for the visa outside of 90 days prior to the trip and inside 90 days prior. lol.

One thing that does have me baffled- how does one get a notarized copy of a driver's license? Can a notary stamp a simple copy of one?

What country are you from? US citizens don't need a visa to Argentina. At one time there was a reciprocity fee for citizens of some countries like the US to enter Argentina, but I believe that is no longer true.

So glad to see the recommendation on Alvear Arts. On the advice of friends that is the hotel we were looking at for our January stay.

Excellent choice.We spent a week there post cruise. Great Service and modern, contemporary rooms.

Travel and Leisure just rated the Alvear Art as the 4th best hotel in South America, one spot behind its sister hotel the Alvear Palace.

Excellent choice.We spent a week there post cruise. Great Service and modern, contemporary rooms.

Travel and Leisure just rated the Alvear Art as the 4th best hotel in South America, one spot behind its sister hotel the Alvear Palace.

I should have mentioned that "between" Recoleta and Retiro means the location is near but not in two off BA's nicer neighborhoods. Its kind of dark and not a great spot for walking around at night. Daytime is fine though but I'd suggest taking cabs at night.

What country are you from? US citizens don't need a visa to Argentina. At one time there was a reciprocity fee for citizens of some countries like the US to enter Argentina, but I believe that is no longer true.

I'm from the USA. We're flying to Rio to board the ship for a 10 day cruise, traveling down to Buenos Aires. We need a visa for Brazil.

I should have mentioned that "between" Recoleta and Retiro means the location is near but not in two off BA's nicer neighborhoods. Its kind of dark and not a great spot for walking around at night. Daytime is fine though but I'd suggest taking cabs at night.

This is a valid point. The doorman at Alvear Art made a friendly suggestion that we "turn left" out the hotel door (to Recoleta). Right would be toward downtown, Retiro. We walked to the right late on a Sunday afternoon, trying to find a local tango place that I had read about. It wasn't dark, but there were no tourists, locals only. We didn't feel particularly threatened, but were obviously the only tourists. After the lovely and authentic tango joint we walked to a nice restaurant. The walk home was after dark, and the block that the hotel is on was dark. We also walked (left out the hotel door) to a restaurant on another night...walked along the big boulevard that reminded me of Paris. That area was much better lit and active with tourists. We were only there for two nights and never hailed a cab except for our airport ride. I'd say use your judgment and ask the hotel for advice if in doubt.

I'm from the USA. We're flying to Rio to board the ship for a 10 day cruise, traveling down to Buenos Aires. We need a visa for Brazil.

Get read for what I have read can be a real pain in the butt, depending on what consulate you have to go to for the visa.

Good advice. We are not easily intimidated but also see no reason to take foolish chances. Likely we will take a taxi at night.

I'm not easily intimidated either. Two of my favorite steak restaurants are not far from the Alvear Art-El Mirasol de la Recova in Recoleta and El Establo downtown at Paraguay and San Martin. We walked from the hotel to

El Mirasol (go half a block to Santa Fe, Turn left to 9 de Julio (the widest street in BA) go right to Posada at Recova (near the 4 Seasons Hotel0.

El Establo is the other direction and most of the cross streets, including Paraguay, are dark and forlorn at night...as is most of Suipacha the street on which the hotel is located...except for the strip clubs/pick up bars on either side of the street just before you get to Cordoba. We felt safer taking a cab to El Establo rather than walk in the dark.....

Another hotel thought - we stayed at the CasaSur Art hotel in Recoleta. It was a great neighborhood, lots of shops and restaurants. We felt comfortable walking in the neighborhood in the evening - home from dinner or a nightcap. Our room was very modern (albeit small - I would upgrade to a larger room) and came with a full breakfast. If you are there on a Saturday, they have a wonderful tour of the city (complimentary) which was a real bonus!

Dr_dawggy,

Thanks for the great restaurant info -- looks like we are set for our two night stay. My mouth is watering now for a great steak with chimichurri sauce and a nice Malbec. Now all I need is some ideas for a good tango show and is, a happy camper.

Dr_dawggy,

Thanks for the great restaurant info -- looks like we are set for our two night stay. My mouth is watering now for a great steak with chimichurri sauce and a nice Malbec. Now all I need is some ideas for a good tango show and is, a happy camper.

Both are traditional parrillas. El Mirasol is pricey and upscale and el Establo appeals more to middle and working class Argentinos. They both also attract a fair number of tourists owing to their central location. Malbec is the wine of choice at both.

Edited by dr__dawggy

Thank you for refreshing me on the parillas...we walked to El Mirasol from Alvear Art one night...beautiful evening and lovely stroll...a few blocks, but well lit and we felt very safe. Had we another night, we would have tried El Establo...and wish we had. While the food and wine (and service at first) at Mirasol was excellent, service declined as the evening wore on and their regulars came in. We ended up feeling a little disappointed, but would still recommend with some reservation.

Another hotel thought - we stayed at the CasaSur Art hotel in Recoleta. It was a great neighborhood, lots of shops and restaurants. We felt comfortable walking in the neighborhood in the evening - home from dinner or a nightcap. Our room was very modern (albeit small - I would upgrade to a larger room) and came with a full breakfast. If you are there on a Saturday, they have a wonderful tour of the city (complimentary) which was a real bonus!

Oddly enough, this was my first choice before I decided on Alvear Art...loved the location, just wasn't sure of room quality and service. So glad to hear it was great!