Baltimore hotel/parking question

L&S49004

I'm taking a cruise on the Carnival Pride in August 2017. My goal is to be on the ship as close to first as possible, so that I can pick my cabana for HMC.

I'm driving to Baltimore from Michigan the day before, so will be staying the night in a hotel:

Do I use the hotel shuttle to go to/from the port, and how much hassle is it to get an early shuttle? Thinking of staying at the Best Western in Elkridge.

Do I drive and park at the port, when I've read that cars are lined up and have to wait until the prior passengers leave the lot? (How brutal would it be sitting in the car waiting in August?)

Are the first people who park at the port generally in the port terminal building before boarding starts? I have FTTF, so would be in the first groups to board, when boarding starts.

Thanks for your help!

I'm taking a cruise on the Carnival Pride in August 2017. My goal is to be on the ship as close to first as possible, so that I can pick my cabana for HMC.

I'm driving to Baltimore from Michigan the day before, so will be staying the night in a hotel:

Do I use the hotel shuttle to go to/from the port, and how much hassle is it to get an early shuttle? Thinking of staying at the Best Western in Elkridge.

Do I drive and park at the port, when I've read that cars are lined up and have to wait until the prior passengers leave the lot? (How brutal would it be sitting in the car waiting in August?)

Are the first people who park at the port generally in the port terminal building before boarding starts? I have FTTF, so would be in the first groups to board, when boarding starts.

Thanks for your help!

Can't comment on the hotel and shuttle...we live in the area and drive straight to the port. Yes, if you get there early (i.e. before 1100) you will probably be in a line of cars waiting to get in the port. Once you get in you'll be directed into a line to drop off luggage with the porters. Then you'll drive around to another line to pay for parking, and then you'll park and walk to the terminal. There will be a line to get thru security screening, but with the new staggered check-in times, the line shouldn't be around the building like it has been in the past. And then you'll check in and wait for your boarding group to be called.

We have stayed at the Best Western Plus BWI/Elkridge 5 times-3 pre-cruise stays & 2 pre-flight stays. Safe parking, clean hotel, decent breakfast and a GREAT shuttle service. Their Sail & Park or Fly & Park deal is the way to go. We have never not gotten a shuttle (which runs 24 hours to the airport) when we wanted it nor had to wait. We reserved our shuttle when we checked in- you can not reserve it before check in- and have had a perfect track record. Call the hotel directly ( not through toll free reservations number) and ask what the earliest shuttle to the pier is though. Most likely they will have a shuttle going there for a pickup for returning cruise passengers but you may want to head over early for your FTTF.

Incidentally- we always book our pre-trip stays through an online site named trinity reservations dot com. 5 flawless transactions with them and their rates are better than through BW directly. Additionally, this hotel just underwent renovations in the past 18 months and shares a parking lot with the Stained Glass Pub,which is a nice place for a casual dinner or drinks w/o having to drive. The indoor pool and jacuzzi are plusses too. Note this is NOT anywhere close to downtown or Inner Harbor, but the complimentary shuttle is available to those locations for you.

I think it depends on how quick you want to leave the area after your cruise. The one time we went from Baltimore we drove there from Central Va. Had cash to pay for the parking so we went through the shorter quicker parking access line. When we returned we got our luggage, went to our car and were heading home within an hour of getting off the ship. Were actually home by 2:00 PM. Loved the ease of the terminal. Did not like the Pride but that is our thoughts. Have fun on your cruise.

I think it depends on how quick you want to leave the area after your cruise. The one time we went from Baltimore we drove there from Central Va. Had cash to pay for the parking so we went through the shorter quicker parking access line. When we returned we got our luggage, went to our car and were heading home within an hour of getting off the ship. Were actually home by 2:00 PM. Loved the ease of the terminal. Did not like the Pride but that is our thoughts. Have fun on your cruise.

What didn't you like about the Pride? I will be on her for 21 days in a few weeks for the first time. What should I look out for? Avoid? Thanks!

Sue

• 3 weeks later...