Tour guide Kobe to Kyoto?

Hobar

We (2 people) will be staying 2 nights in Kobe and would like a private guide to take us from Kobe to Kyoto and back to Kobe for one day. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thank you in advance for responses.

Sent telepathically by Hobar.

Edited by Hobar

I had a hard time finding private guides for Kobe. Finally settled on Tours by Locals. I don't see the guide listed that we used, Yoriko, listed any longer, but take a look at the others. We also used Tours by Locals for Tokyo (from Yokahama) as well. We had to cancel one day I had scheduled and Tours by Locals office handled the cancellation without issue.

Kyoto is beautiful.

Joe

2015 we disembarked the Azamara Quest in Osaka and spent 3 days touring with Takakazu Machi with his private car. Taka spent many years as the driver for a multinational company before starting his own business with private tours. He is a great person to spend time with and has vast knowledge of the Kyoto area. I learned so much from him and we had wonderful lunches and drives with him. I taught him how to spot 7/11 stores very fast (I was the quickest because I had approximate location on my phone!). Why 7/11? Clean bathrooms and the all important ATM machines that take US pin number debit cards to get Japanese money in cash. Really better than banks. (Thanks to the Cruise Critic commentators that gave me this very important clue!)

One of the reasons that guides are difficult to find in Japan is that a guide must have a professional chauffer license to transport guests in a car. To get from your port in Kobe to Kyoto (the several parts that you want to see) a private car is really wonderful. Taka's car is a large town car and very comfortable. The car allows you to have manageable walks to the temples, go for lunch at some wonderful small cafes and visit the bamboo forest which is just extraordinary (we wanted to see some of the countryside and there are small "old-style" traditional areas close to Kyoto. Public transportation is available probably but would take much more time and lots lots more walking.

I contacted Taka at http://privatetour-Kyoto.com/ehome.html and you get many ads for other tours so drop on page to privatetour-Kyoto. When you open up the link you will see a picture of a man with glasses under a blue set of words. Taka is kind and funny -- a bit shy -- but so concerned to give you an excellent experience and services. He is well well worth his fee. I see on his site that he is now recommending other driver/guides. He would not steer you wrong. He just can't take all the bookings offered.

Good luck. I have such good memories of Kyoto -- a very special place.