Cruise experience with a toddler (RCI IOTS)

Topbuzzer

Just got back from the July 2nd Sailing IOTS 14 nights around Spain/France/Portugal. I posted several times on here asking questions about facilities for young children and mostly got more people asking questions so thought I should add some comments on my experience!

We were so looking forward to our daughter enjoying this and us getting some child free time but it completely didn't work out. Even though she (aged 2 and a half) goes to nursery at home she didn't take to it at all - which is understandable because as nice as the caregivers were she doesn't know them.

I popped in on the last night and there were about 6/7 babies there so it clearly works for others. On a previous cruise when she was 7 months the nursery worked brilliantly (for a couple of hours in the evening) so I guess it depends on age. The babies I saw in the room looked around 1/ just under 1 and the room really seems geared up to that age rather than toddlers. It was quite telling that our 2 year old kept trying to run into her older sister's kids club - she preferred that vibe of kids running around playing. She wasn't allowed in there of course!

But the bad nursery experience didn't detract from the holiday experience at all.....she just loved being on the ship. Her favourite part was going in the many lifts! People said hi to her wherever she went and she loved it. She loved going to cafe Promenade, Sorrentos and the Windjammer. The splash pool was perfect for her and I had brought a bucket and watering cans and she played happily every day there. One of her favourite things was the icecream machine on deck 11! We had to try and go a different route on more than one occasion!

This was our 4th cruise (the toddlers third) and there was as usual so much food for her. We tried several places - MDR, Windjammer, Johnny Rockets, Sorrentos - but always found the Windjammer the easiest with the best range of choices. The staff in there were very attentive to us having a toddler.

We went to all the parades on deck 5 (usually about 10.30) which were brilliant and the children were always welcome there. The toddler was usually asleep in her buggy or toddler sling. Having a sling was invaluable for walking around the ship when she was sleepy and the port where there was a tender.

The room we booked was to have a sofa bed and it didn't! She is too big for a cot.....but the staff bent over backwards (thank you Wendy cabin 2540 deck 2!). She (and her supervisor who was very helpful) arranged for a fold up bed to be added to the room and the sofa taken out. She couldn't sleep in a Pullam and the main bed was too high (if she fell off). Any problems were quickly solved by the staff.

We kept our buggy outside our main door most of the time and this saved space (no staff complained - bit it wasn't blocking anything).

I always overpack nappies and underpack wipes - I brought 6 packs of wipes but ran out!

Joff was brilliant as cruise director - my daughter saw him in the show and then got a photo with him and he signed a note to her!

All in all an excellent holiday!

If anyone has any questions just let me know.

Thank you for your review/commentary! I'm planning a cruise on Anthem of the Seas with a 27 month old and I'm hoping to use the babysitting services but now should prepare in case he doesn't take to it like your daughter.

Yes its good to have an open mind. The nursery worked brilliantly on our first cruise with her when she was 6 months old but she was very aware at 2 and a half that she was being left with someone she didn't know.

It does not have to take away from the holiday experience either way it goes. We never sat in our cabin in the evenings because she was sleeping - she stayed up later anyway and slept in later and she would just go asleep in her buggy beside us.

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

We're taking our 11 month old on Indy in a fortnight, so so excited!

Hoping she'll like the nursery, although she's only ever been left with grandparents and Uncle before.

Did they have the toy lending service? How did it work?

Also was there a playroom set up that you could just drop in to, and/or any playgroups? We go to quite a few at home so I know she'll love them!

I think her favourite place will be the Windjammer though as she LOVES her food!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your note, we are sailing on the same ship in November. This may be a silly question, but on voyager of the seas there was an art piece that was a motion machine with balls. My son absolutely loved it- is there anything like that on Independence of the Seas or something else that your little one found absolutely fascinating?