Best way to get from Elizabeth, NJ into NYC?

abugslife

NYC folks – what’s the best way to get from Elizabeth, NJ to NYC?

I’m getting ready to head out for my trip on Anthem of the Seas but before that, DH and I will have a day in NYC to see the sights and take in a Broadway play. We’ve reserved a room at the Country Inn & Suites – Elizabeth, NJ by the Newark airport & the Mills at Jersey Gardens. We’ll have Thursday & Friday night there before the cruise.

From what I can manage, it looks like starting at the hotel:

1. We can get a hotel shuttle to the airport
  2. Then ride the airport transport line to NJ/Newark Penn Station
  3. From there, it looks like we can take PATH to the Journal Square stop
  4. And beyond that we'll be able to get into Manhattan.

Is this the best route? Is it safe?

Should we try to get a taxi or uber instead?

We aren't very well versed with public transportation, but I guess we will learn! Any help navigating the area from Elizabeth to NYC would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

NYC folks – what’s the best way to get from Elizabeth, NJ to NYC?

I’m getting ready to head out for my trip on Anthem of the Seas but before that, DH and I will have a day in NYC to see the sights and take in a Broadway play. We’ve reserved a room at the Country Inn & Suites – Elizabeth, NJ by the Newark airport & the Mills at Jersey Gardens. We’ll have Thursday & Friday night there before the cruise.

From what I can manage, it looks like starting at the hotel:

1. We can get a hotel shuttle to the airport
  2. Then ride the airport transport line to NJ/Newark Penn Station
  3. From there, it looks like we can take PATH to the Journal Square stop
  4. And beyond that we'll be able to get into Manhattan.

Is this the best route? Is it safe?

Should we try to get a taxi or uber instead?

We aren't very well versed with public transportation, but I guess we will learn! Any help navigating the area from Elizabeth to NYC would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Almost, but not quite. These are the directions to get to and from midtown Manhattan, which is where the Broadway theaters are. Post back if you're going someplace else like the 911 Memorial. You really need to study this map -

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf Start with Newark and follow the lines south to the airport, east along the PATH route to lower Manhattan, and north and east along the train route to New York Penn Station.

1). Hotel shuttle to the airport. It will take you to the P4 Airtrain station. You ride the Airtrain to the Newark Airport station.

2) Buy a NJ transit ticket to New York Penn Station for $13/pp each way.

3) take the next northbound NJ Transit train towards Newark and get off at New York Penn Station, the third stop.

Use this to look at the train schedules - http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

Nj transit has a metro that runs from Elizabeth right into NY Penn, it's very safe, my family and I take it all the time from Hamilton. Once you get to NY Penn take the 8th street exit so your headed the right way and grab an uber driver to the terminal! Don't do the taxi! The taxi line into the cruise terminal is long and the uber can drive right up and drop you off

Nj transit has a metro that runs from Elizabeth right into NY Penn, it's very safe, my family and I take it all the time from Hamilton. Once you get to NY Penn take the 8th street exit so your headed the right way and grab an uber driver to the terminal! Don't do the taxi! The taxi line into the cruise terminal is long and the uber can drive right up and drop you off

Sorry, but this is incorrect on all counts. The NJ Transit Elizabeth station is miles from the OP's hotel and to get there would require an expensive taxi ride.

The Penn Station exit you're referring to is on 8th Ave., not 8th St.

You can't "grab an Uber driver". Uber has to summoned through their smart phone app. Only taxis can be hailed on the street.

Finally, the OP isn't going to the cruise terminal in Manhattan, their cruise leaves from Cape Liberty in Bayonne. They're going into Manhattan for the day to sightsee and attend a Broadway show on the day before their cruise.

To the OP: Please follow the suggestions made by Carol (138east), not what was posted by the person to whose post I'm replying.

Edited by njhorseman

Well in my defense she asked what was the best way to get from Elizabeth to NY Penn. The NJ transit metro stops at Newark Penn and NY Penn. "Grab an uber" was implied that the OP knew how Uber worked.

It would be great if Elizabeth station were an economically viable choice because the train fare is only $7.25 instead of $13.00. With more than 2 people it becomes competitive, but I'm not sure we would recommend a late night return to that station after a Broadway play.

Sorry for the delay in my reply - it's been crazy the past few days trying to get ready for the trip, so I haven't had much time to post.

Thank you all for the feedback & discussion. I think we are going to be spending most of our time in Midtown, so the NY transit ticket to NY Penn Station seems to make the most sense. Thanks for the advice - hopefully everything will go smoothly - we head out tomorrow morning!

Thanks again!