Philippines - Boracay and Manila suggestions?

bertrande

We are visiting Boracay and Manila in Feb 2017 onboard Celebrity Constellation and information on these ports have been scarce. Has anyone taken independent shore excursions in these two ports which they would be able to recommend? We are looking at private tours as we are travelling with young children and a ship excursion with a large group may not be the most ideal.

Recommendations and suggestions on what to do would be gratefully received. Thanks!

We are visiting Boracay and Manila in Feb 2017 onboard Celebrity Constellation and information on these ports have been scarce. Has anyone taken independent shore excursions in these two ports which they would be able to recommend? We are looking at private tours as we are travelling with young children and a ship excursion with a large group may not be the most ideal.

Recommendations and suggestions on what to do would be gratefully received. Thanks!

My husband and I visited Borocay and Manila during our Costa Victoria cruise in January 2014. I have some mobility issues and prefer to take ships’ excursions in unfamiliar places and especially where I can’t find a lot of information on private tours.

Here are some extracts from my diary which may be of use:

Borocay is a quite a small island where the main attractions were the beautiful beaches and the view from the highest point.

• Borocay was a tender port.

• The quay was a 20-minute walk from the quay to the town centre.

• The ship provided shuttle busses (paid) from the quay to the D’Mall in the town centre.

• There were some souvenir stalls at the quay.

• We were greeted by a group dressed in local costume who performed traditional dances.

• Our tour transport was in small, open-sided mini busses.

• Each bus had a driver and an English-speaking guide.

• I believe that taxis/tuk-tuks were available just outside the dock area.

30410002451_1f2d298f86_z.jpgDSCN4920 by

30410000501_8664053488_z.jpgDSCN4931 by

30379990172_8ddecda9e0_z.jpgDSCN4932 by

30460116036_fcd3bfca1b_z.jpgIMG_3331 by

We did the BORACAY LAND TOUR (3 hours) which took us through the very busy and vibrant town, where the streets were narrow and crowded, and out into the countryside. Inland Boracay is mainly lush jungle interspersed with agricultural land and small villages. We stopped at the base of Mount Luho, which is the highest point on Boracay with the height of 100 meters above sea level. Some people climbed to the top where they got panoramic views from the top which my husband said made the tough climb worthwhile.

We then visited Puka Beach which was the image of what most people expect on a tropical island: white sand, azure water, and relatively empty. We spent 90 minutes there.

There were a few souvenir stalls, cafes and toilet facilities. Several people went for a swim.

We really enjoyed seeing the countryside and were glad that we got out of the town as it was so busy and crowded.

Manila is a huge and very busy city with a wide variety of places to explore. There are several large, modern shopping malls and parks. There is also the ‘old town’ which has a very Spanish feel with narrow streets, picturesque buildings, churches and the fortress.

• Our ship docked in the industrial port which was a 30-minute walk to the main shopping area.

• The ship provided shuttle busses (paid) from the quay to the Robinson’s Place Mall in the town centre.

• There were some souvenir stalls at the quay.

• We were greeted by a group dressed in local costume who performed traditional dances.

• Ship’s tour busses were modern coaches.

• I believe that taxis/tuk-tuks were available just outside the dock area.

30198403580_fb8dcfa85c_z.jpgDSCN4940 by

30460131896_5e9ce55465_z.jpgIMG_3491 by

29864566863_217d0e1af5_z.jpgDSCN4955 by

We did the MANILA CITY TOUR (4½ hours) which started with a visit to the old walled city of Intramuros. This area was built during the Spanish colonial period and had some lovely buildings. Our first stop was Fort Santiago, which served as the headquarters of the military might of the Spanish, American and Japanese colonizers until its destruction in 1945. We were taken to the beautiful San Agustin Church, which was constructed in 1587-1604 and is the oldest surviving church in the Philippines. We had time to walk through the church and visit the museum.

30460133196_d2c98a6fdc_z.jpgDSCN4990 by

Our other stop was at the American cemetery where we had time to walk around the memorial and admire the beautifully kept gardens.

29864565363_35f7ee0fd1_z.jpgDSCN4970 by

The coach toured the main sights of the city and we had the chance to see the Coconut Palace, the Cultural Centre of the Philippines and the financial district.

Oh goody! Our ship will also stop in Boracay and Manila. I had already planned to see the walled city Intramuros in Manila, probably with a ship excursion, but I had not yet thought about Boracay. Seeing the pictures helps to adjust expectations.

Today I found out that our ship does not offer a land excursion in Boracay. We will to find something to do on our own.

Ours offer only one single excursion where you go to a resort and chill :roll eyes: We will probably have to find something to do on our own as well!

• 4 weeks later...

We are also going to these ports on Celebrity and their excursions are not great, so we have explored options and come up with the following.

Manila. Get a horse-drawn carriage to meet you at the Port and take a tour through the historical area. http://www.castillantours.com/

Boracay. Understand its easy to take the ferry to the centre of white beach and just enjoy the beach, restaurants and shopping.

Let us all know how you got on.

I spent a week in Manila for work, but I found some time to do some sightseeing.

One day I did the walking tour of Intramuros with Carlos Celdran. Really interesting and fun. Carlos is a great guide.

https://carlosceldranwalks.wordpress.com/

Another day I took a ferry / tour to Corregidor Island. Really interesting WWII history.

http://www.corregidorphilippines.com/packages.html

I did not get a chance to go to Taal Volcano, but my coworkers told me it was a great adventure.

We are also going to these ports on Celebrity and their excursions are not great, so we have explored options and come up with the following.

Manila. Get a horse-drawn carriage to meet you at the Port and take a tour through the historical area. http://www.castillantours.com/

Sounds like a good plan!

I spent a week in Manila for work, but I found some time to do some sightseeing.

One day I did the walking tour of Intramuros with Carlos Celdran. Really interesting and fun. Carlos is a great guide.

https://carlosceldranwalks.wordpress.com/

Another day I took a ferry / tour to Corregidor Island. Really interesting WWII history.

http://www.corregidorphilippines.com/packages.html

I did not get a chance to go to Taal Volcano, but my coworkers told me it was a great adventure.

Thanks will check it out.