Taxi from Laem Chabang to Pattawa

courticeguy

We are in port for 2 days in February and are interested in spending a day on the beach in Koh Larn and later experiencing the nightlife of Pattaya. The ferry to the island is very inexpensive but getting there from Laem Chabang and back seems not. Has anyone found a reasonable way of transport? Our ship, Volendam, doesn't appear to offer a transfer.

Any help would be appreciated.

I don't know where the ferry leaves from, but if it's Pattaya rather than L/C it's no problem taking a taxi.

It's only about 15 miles - I don't know whether you can pre-book a private transfer over the internet for that distance, but there will be taxis available by the pier.

Taxis available at the pier are a cartel, with a taxi marshal negotiating the price - they charge up to double the price available on the internet, so you wouldn't want to pay their prices to Bangkok. :eek:

But an over-the-top price for the short drive to Pattaya isn't a big deal.

As well as the cartel taxis at the pier, there are liveried taxis outside the port gate but it's a huge port & you could be berthed up to 2 miles from the port gate.

I believe there are local buses from the main road, but that's even further.

You could ask on your RollCall if anyone else is going to Pattaya at the same time, or look for sharers on the ship or on the pier.

There are plenty of taxis near Walking Street for the return journey & their prices should be lower - bear that in mind when negotiating at the pier for a one-way or both-ways price.

Cover the childrens' eyes in Walking Street :D

JB :)

Sharing a taxi at the port should be easy. We shared a taxi with a Hawaiian and his Filipina girlfriend.

As to the return trip, lots of cheap taxis to take you back to the port.

I've been to Pattaya several times. Now thinking of staying at the Rabbit Resort in Jomtien. Too much noise in Pattaya proper.

John,We will be on Constellation in February and overnight docked for Bangkok. We will be going to Bangkok on day 1 and staying more local on day 2.

I had thought of a trip to Pattaya, Sanctuary, Gardens etc.

Can you recommend a tour/company?

Thanks,

Ruth

John,We will be on Constellation in February and overnight docked for Bangkok. We will be going to Bangkok on day 1 and staying more local on day 2.

Thanks,

Ruth

Hi, Ruth,

Sorry, can't help - we tend to DIY rather than using tour operators.

Hopefully others can suggest names

And I've seen threads on this forum about fixing tours in the Pattaya area - to find them I suggest you do a search using a suitable keyword such as Pattaya.

If you find operators on Google I recommend you check out independent reviews, eg on TripAdvisor, because standards, reliability and prices are extremely variable.

JB :)

Thanks JB,

We also do DIY which can take months of planning - half the fun of travelling for me! For many of these I have formed small groups from roll calls and they have been a wonderful way of seeing places, and meeting new people.

For Asia it seems that most tour providers want hefty deposits, so I am not too keen to go that route.

I have been in touch with a guy - I took the details from other roll calls and reviews were favourable, but it was quite pricey for two. I will see if we can find another couple to join us, otherwise I will heed your advice about taxis at the port.

Thanks again,

Ruth

Thanks,

Ruth

Hello Ruth, I used a tour company, the past 3 years out of Vietnam and she arranges tours in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, etc. Will do whatever you need and easy to work with. She could even do your Bangkok day tour, although, I to am going in January but not to Grand Palace, but for canal ride and worried about King's death, whether downtown will be too crowded as it will only be 3rd mont and he will lie in state for one year. Will monitor it.

Her name is Ngoan and she owns the company with her husband. Her Email: ngoan.le@travelauthenticasia.com

​- Travel Authentic Asia- Website: http://www.travelauthenticasia.com

Guides all speak good English and itinerary will be exactly how you want it.

Enjoy your cruise,

Rita K.

Thank you Rita,

I will take a look at the website.

We are taking the Celebrity "Bangkok on your own" trip to take advantage of the coach but do independent sightseeing while there as we have visited before and would like to re-trace our steps. I agree - we will monitor the situation.

The second day we hope to visit Pattaya either by independent taxi or through a local agent.

Ruth

We were in Laem Chabang port last year and took a taxi to and from the port. There are taxi waiting at the pier. We paid Thai Baht 800 to Pattaya and for the return trip, we got another taxi back to the port at Thai Baht 700.

There are lots of kiosks and shops in Pattaya city that hang a signboard that they can arrange transport to anywhere in Thailand. We approached one shop when we walked past it during the day. One lady in the shop arranged the taxi for us to go back to the port at Thai Baht 700. We told her we wanted to return to the port late at night around 11 pm. We were told to pay her Thai Baht 200 as a deposit and pay Thai Baht 500 to the driver when we reached the port. We came back to the shop at 11 pm and the same lady direcct us to a taxi waiting at the road side.

When at the he port entrance , the driver get off the taxi and went to the port office for about 5 min before he come back to drive through the gate. We asked him the needd to stop by the gate and he told us he needs to pay some money to the port office before he can drive us into the port to the ship.

We asked him how much did he pay to the port office but were unable to understand him. Although he did not ask us to pay additional fare, we paid him Thai Baht 1000.

Edited by tumbletot