Please compare Vabtage, Gate 1 and Grand Circle

sjde

We have taken 2 Grand Circle and two AMA cruises and both were similar and wonderful, though AMA was much pricier. Can someone tell me how Gate 1 and Vantage may compare?

We have taken three Vantage cruises, Russia, China and Douro Valley, Portugal.

Also, we took AMA's Rhone/Saone River cruise.

All four were excellent.

The China trip only included a four day river cruise, but it was great, as was the entire three week trip. In fact, the China trip was probably our favorite trip ever. We did the trip in 2012 for a total cost of $10K for both of us. The price was superior to Viking's offer.

The AMA cruise was in May 2012, before the China trip. The reason we have not taken an AMA cruise since was that AMA's pricing started to show a significant upswing over Vantage, Grand Circle and Viking.

We haven't done Grand Circle, but I know people that have and they had positive reports. Grand Circle's pricing is generally close to Vantage's pricing.

Gate 1 is a budget line and their tours are significantly cheaper than others, but they have a lot of optional, extra costs for tours, etc.

Still, if you are on a budget, it is to be considered. I know a couple of people that have been on Gate 1 and they enjoyed their cruise.

We've done 8 with Vantage and never felt the need to change companies! Friend of mine did Gate 1 and loved it. Vantage and GCT used to be one company and are owned by brothers, so I think their products are probably very similar although I think Vantage is a little more upscale....same with Gate 1...very good product but a little less upscale than Vantage. Check them all out carefully paying close attention to cabin size, what's included and what is not, and itinerary, which is the most important thing of all. If you're not happy with where they're taking you, you won't be happy with anything else!

Edited by Hydrokitty