Hotel? Transportation?

skiiergirl

Depends what kind of lodging you are looking for and how much you want to spend? You are coming in the day before the cruise? http://www.anchorage.net

Do you want to include any touring in Seward? (think carefully, I'm an advocate of taking advantage of being there :) ) It's a gem of an area. http://www.seward.com

transfers, listed on both above sites.

There is a cruise line transfer, independent bus, Alaska RR, Hertz car rental. I suggest FIRST, you determine- if you want available touring? Wildlife? scenery? or do you just want to go on the ship? (ask yourself how often, you are going to get to Alaska?). Then put the transportation that fits best. IF of interest to do so. So many people turn up their noses at the high costs of car rentals, BUT- this offers you and entire day of Alaska touring. With an early start, people have done glacier trekking of Matansuka, as example, alternatively, simple to hike Winner trail, visit Portage Glacier Visitor center, Alaska Wildlife conservatory, Kenai River float trip. If of interest to take a Kenai fjords boat tour- then also consider the Alaska RR, or early bus service. Loaded varied wildlife opportunity and close up glacier viewing (superior to any cruise ship), needing at least 6 hours on the water. Multiple other Seward touring to consider

Have a great time.

your options include .... Alaska Railroad, Park Connection Bus, Seward Buslines, cruiseline transfer, independent transfer (with or w/o a stop at the Wildlife Conservation Center), rental car (HERTZ is the only vendor in Seward).

The train has an early departure time so you might want to stay downtown for easy quick access. Comfort Inn Ship Creek is the closest.

We're spending a few days with Family in Anchorage before our cruise from Seward next year. We'll have a car in Anchorage for running around but decided to take the Alaska Railroad down to Seward the morning of our cruise. We priced Hertz for a one way and drop off in Seward ($$$ :eek:) and Midnight Sun Car Rental to pick up the car in Seward ($350 fee to pick up in Seward, still cheaper than Hertz) and the train and decided on the train. We enjoyed the train from Denali to Anchorage on our last Alaska trip so for us it made the decision easier. Many hotels have shuttles both to the airport and the train station.

• 2 weeks later...

On the map (which I know can be deceiving) it looks like Alyeska is between Anchorage and Seward. (I am a big dummy on Alaska. Have never been or ever done any research so appreciate ALL info!)

What type transportation is there from Anchorage airport to Alyeska and then the next day Alyeska to ship? Type transportation, company, cost????

Pros /Cons ?????

All info greatly appreciated!

On the map (which I know can be deceiving) it looks like Alyeska is between Anchorage and Seward. (I am a big dummy on Alaska. Have never been or ever done any research so appreciate ALL info!)

What type transportation is there from Anchorage airport to Alyeska and then the next day Alyeska to ship? Type transportation, company, cost????

Pros /Cons ?????

All info greatly appreciated!

Alaska Railroad. One way Hertz rental car, that has a LOT of "value", for allowing you the freedom to plan your time a lot more efficiently. You'll have to see if any vendors pick up at Alyeska, PJ's taxi out of Seward does. http://www.anchorage.net http://www.seward.com