Tour from Tokyo to Kyoto

edste

I have always gone on my own both from Kobe and Tokyo. The sights are spread out in Kyoto and inconvenient to public transport so needed taxis. I recall seeing some guide recommendations on this thread. Also try TripAdvisor.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We used the goodwill guides in Kyoto. Had a wonderful day with 2 delightful English speaking SGGG club uni students. We were there for 3 days. We did our own thing for 2 days and used the guides on the day we were in the main areas in central Kyoto. We got around using the bus 500 yen all day ticket. Taxis are reasonable so if you are short on time perhaps you could use a goodwill guide getting around by taxi. The guides are volunteers and its a win win situation as they get to improve their language skills and you get a local guide. We were a group of 7 so were given one guide and a trainee guide.

The itinerary is discussed with you. We have been to Japan many times so knew what we wanted to see but you can also leave it to guide to plan.

Edited by Tara Jane

If possible spend two nights in Kyoto. Travel down in the morning and spend teh afternoon looking around the main part of the town. particularly the covered shopping street (Kiyamachi Dori) and the Gion area. Also check out the food halls in the department stores if you haven't already done that in Tokyo. Warning - don't do that if you're hungry. :D

Next day do a full day our of Kyoto. We did this one and it was excellent. http://www.jtbtravel.com.au/tour//222-kyoto-1-day-tour-with-lunch-n100?supplierid=2&productid=222&date=2016-11-05&scu=1&qty=1A&srb=Tours&cty=Japan&dst=Kyoto&searchurl=

It's a long, tiring day though so better to have a good night's sleep before heading back to Tokyo.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

A day trip to Kyoto from Tokyo would be very foolish. Even taking the bullet train, you would have little time in Kyoto.

Best to plan to stay two nights.

We took a tour through Viator

https://www.viator.com/tours/Tokyo/Kyoto-and-Nara-2-Day-or-3-Day-Rail-Tour-by-Bullet-Train-from-Tokyo/d334-2142TYO_QT2_QT3

We did the two night/three day tour and it was great. Our hotel was across the street from the Kyoto rail station. We also visited Nara, which is excellent.

Here is my review of our entire trip.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=518503&et_cid=2531924&et_rid=17221689&et_referrer=Boards