Sydney Highlighted by NY Times

TLCOhio

From the New York Times Travel Section coming on Sunday morning, they will have this headline: "36 Hours in Sydney" with this sub-headline: "Venture past Sydney’s Central Business District to where residents live and play, and you’ll discover that the city’s heart is nowhere near the center of town."

There are lots of ideas, pictures, details, suggestions, etc., in this profile story. Many of items focus on the food, drink, etc. Clearly this story is correct that Sydney is much more than the usual and well-known icons in the central harbor area.

Here are a few more of the story highlights: "Sydney is famous for its Opera House, its postcard-perfect beaches and its glorious natural harbor. But these are just small parts of what makes the city one of the world’s great urban centers. Dig into Sydney’s origins as a penal colony. Mingle at every opportunity with Sydneysiders, who may be the friendliest, most laid-back urbanites on the planet. Ask a bartender for a lesson in how to speak Australian. You’re sure to make friends. But to be properly seduced by Sydney and its people, venture past the buttoned-up Central Business District to where residents live and play, and you’ll discover that the city’s heart is nowhere near the center of town."

This story notes this key history factoid: "In the aftermath of America’s victory in the Revolutionary War, the British needed a new place of exile for convicts and found one in Sydney, some 18 years after Capt. James Cook claimed the continent’s east coast for Britain in 1770."

Lots of interesting information in this travel writing piece. It brings back nice memories and makes one want to return there to Australia, again!!

Full story at:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/12/08/travel/what-to-do-36-hours-in-sydney-australia.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Ftravel&action=click&contentCollection=travel&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 161,989 views for this posting.

Thank you for sharing. We are headed back to Sydney next year, sailing to New Zealand this time, and plan to stay post cruise outside of the downtown area. This article will definitely help with our planning.

Thank you for sharing. We are headed back to Sydney next year, sailing to New Zealand this time, and plan to stay post cruise outside of the downtown area. This article will definitely help with our planning.

Any thoughts about what you want to do or other particular reason for staying outside "downtown."

The geographic heart of Sydney is far to the west of the tourist heart. Our city is so large and spread out that, like London, it can take a lifetime to see everything.

I am descended from three convicts so I suppose I am proud of the relative peace that has developed in what is a very short time in history.

Any thoughts about what you want to do or other particular reason for staying outside "downtown."

We were thinking of staying closer to a beach on our next visit. We stayed in the city on our last visit, and also flew up to Cairns for some time on the GBR, and so this time we were thinking of just a little R&R before the long plane ride home.

We were thinking of staying closer to a beach on our next visit. We stayed in the city on our last visit, and also flew up to Cairns for some time on the GBR, and so this time we were thinking of just a little R&R before the long plane ride home.

Manly might fit.

The geographic heart of Sydney is far to the west of the tourist heart. Our city is so large and spread out that, like London, it can take a lifetime to see everything. I am descended from three convicts so I suppose I am proud of the relative peace that has developed in what is a very short time in history.

Appreciate these excellent follow-ups and added comments, helpful involvement, etc.

From the Wall Street Journal in late September, they have this headline: "Historic District in Sydney is the City’s Newest Must-Visit Destination" with this sub headline: "Once an industrial enclave, Chippendale is now home to a thriving art and food scene"

Among the story highlights are: "In the ’80's, Chippendale—a neighborhood near Sydney’s midtown business district was considered unsavory. An underground art space and nightclub called Lanfranchi’s Memorial Discotheque sparked an avant-garde movement in the district that has continued to grow ever since. And now, more than a decade after the area’s iconic 19th-century brewery closed its doors, in 2005, the six-acre complex has been restored as a mixed-use urban village called Central Park. Even with its sleek new architectural landmarks, the neighborhood remains a breeding ground for exploratory art. A handful of restaurants and cafes has redefined Chippendale as a new culinary corner in the city. Ester Restaurant and Bar has attracted locals with its innovative menu, including steak marinated in fermented rice and served with grilled shiitakes. Around the corner is the popular barbecue joint LP’s Quality Meats, which has a car-size wood-burning smoker."

Sounds fun and interesting!! One of this publication's readers posted these added ideas and suggestions: "Chippendale is my favourite part of Sydney. It's actually a very green suburb too, with communal gardens that line the streets. Check out Michael Mobbs and his sustainable house. It's home to a lot of creative types including our national treasure, author David Malouf. I've been there since early 2010 and the changes I've witnessed have been immense. For coffee, I still recommend Toby's Estate on City Road. The best Bakery is Brickfield's off Cleveland Street."

Full story at:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-historic-district-in-sydney-is-the-citys-newest-must-visit-destination-1475191589

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 23,898 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Appreciate these excellent follow-ups and added comments, helpful involvement, etc.

From the Wall Street Journal in late September, they have this headline: "Historic District in Sydney is the City’s Newest Must-Visit Destination" with this sub headline: "Once an industrial enclave, Chippendale is now home to a thriving art and food scene"

Among the story highlights are: "In the ’80's, Chippendale—a neighborhood near Sydney’s midtown business district was considered unsavory. An underground art space and nightclub called Lanfranchi’s Memorial Discotheque sparked an avant-garde movement in the district that has continued to grow ever since. And now, more than a decade after the area’s iconic 19th-century brewery closed its doors, in 2005, the six-acre complex has been restored as a mixed-use urban village called Central Park. Even with its sleek new architectural landmarks, the neighborhood remains a breeding ground for exploratory art. A handful of restaurants and cafes has redefined Chippendale as a new culinary corner in the city. Ester Restaurant and Bar has attracted locals with its innovative menu, including steak marinated in fermented rice and served with grilled shiitakes. Around the corner is the popular barbecue joint LP’s Quality Meats, which has a car-size wood-burning smoker."

Sounds fun and interesting!! One of this publication's readers posted these added ideas and suggestions: "Chippendale is my favourite part of Sydney. It's actually a very green suburb too, with communal gardens that line the streets. Check out Michael Mobbs and his sustainable house. It's home to a lot of creative types including our national treasure, author David Malouf. I've been there since early 2010 and the changes I've witnessed have been immense. For coffee, I still recommend Toby's Estate on City Road. The best Bakery is Brickfield's off Cleveland Street."

Full story at:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-historic-district-in-sydney-is-the-citys-newest-must-visit-destination-1475191589

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 23,898 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

I remember when places like Redfern and Balmain were near on "No Go" zones. Now I guess you might say they are gentrified.

Thank you. We had read about the hotel at Q Station on Trip Advisor, and seeing it listed in this article as an option has definitely put it on our radar.

Never stayed at Q Station, but heard good things, much of it is said to be haunted if that impacts your decision at all.

There are also a wide range of accommodation choices pretty much on the beach at Manly.

Don't know if the Quarantine Station is haunted but it definitely WAS haunting! I think it's an essential part of any extended Sydney visit - it's not as bleak as it sounds and it truly is a part of Sydney & Aussie history...part of it's origins story, well insofar as it's European lineage goes. Aboriginal history of course goes much further back and is likewise, fascinating - more so I think and harder to know, really.

I spent - wow - I don't even know how much time there but it's an amazing place. Having a grandfather that passed through Ellis Island (not the same, he wasn't under arrest/convict but life in a new country alone? not easy) I felt intrigued by the stories and seeing the confinements, infirmary, the grounds - it's quite a location/setting. I was glad to see this featured in the NY Times piece along with the other "off the beaten path" places mentioned. If it was a question of going to the Tauranga Zoo (I did that too) and going to the Q Station, I'd say go to the Station...it means more. Just my two Aussie cents.

I don't see this mentioned much - I hope this will spur on more folks to visit. I know there's lots to see/do in Sydney but this really was a standout and memorable, right up there with attending the ballet in the Opera House. Very different, yeah. But just as memorable.

Manly is amazing too but that gets mentioned from time to time. It was a great article - Sydney was amazing, even two weeks wasn't enough! ;)