Malmo! (from Copenhagen)

Has anyone taken the train out to Malmo, in southern Sweden, for the day? I'm meeting a friend there after we arrive in Copenhagen a day or two before our cruise leaves.

We saw Stockholm last year on our Baltic cruise, and also spent a lot of time in Copenhagen, and are excited to see Malmo this time when we fly in early.

There's not much on Viator or TripAdvisor and we'd love to know what's good.

Thanks!

We actually stayed in Malmo last year prior to a Transatlantic cruise. It is a lovely smaller city. There is a very charming old town not far from the train station. Ask at the station for directions. Lovely older buildings, shops & numerous restaurants. The train goes from downtown Copenhagen or the airport. Malmo is quite close to Copenhagen.

It's worth the trip just to go over the Oresund bridge which is spectacular (also very famous) in Europe. Malmo is a lovely town with an attractive old part. I believe trains run approx every 30 mins and the journey takes approx 40 mins.

It's worth the trip just to go over the Oresund bridge which is spectacular (also very famous) in Europe. Malmo is a lovely town with an attractive old part. I believe trains run approx every 30 mins and the journey takes approx 40 mins.

Is that the bridge the train comes in on, or a different bridge?

The train runs every 20th minute but remember that you have to get off at Kastrup train station to do the ID check.

Any approved photo ID will do like drivers license or passport.

This is of course because of the immigration crisis.

Is it an obvious stop, and will we need to wait another 20 minutes thereafter for the next one?

The station is clearly not made with border control in mind so the procedure is like this.

The train stops at the first half of the platform

Then all people leave the train and walk up the stairs to Terminal 3.

Then they walk down the second pair of stairs where the id control takes place.

In the meantime the train has moved to the front end of the platform (its a long one) where it takes up passengers against.

Then it goes to Sweden :D

The station is clearly not made with border control in mind so the procedure is like this.

In the meantime the train has moved to the front end of the platform (its a long one) where it takes up passengers against.

Thanks for that! It makes much more sense now!

• 3 weeks later...

They have recently changed the procedure. So the train from Copenhagen Central stops at the same platform as the one leaving for Malmö. THen you just have to go to the other end of the platform. But the timetable is still not very good. So for most people coming from central Copenhagen it is smarter to take the metro to the airport (much more frequent) and then change to the train.

You can check connections on http://www.rejseplanen.dk/eu-bin/query.exe/en?L=vs_newdesign&showRequestSite=1&ignoreMissingLocation=1&euMode=ORESUND&

• 3 months later...

We are thinking about going to Malmo for a day from Copenhagen. Could someone who knows the area comment about crime issues in Malmo?

I understand that perceptions could be negative. I live outside Chicago and I feel very safe there as long as I do not go to certain neighborhoods where there is terrible gang violence.

Is it the same in Malmo?

As long as you don´t go to the Rosengård ghetto you should be okay.

btw, the ID control at the airport station mentioned earlier in the thread isn´t taking place anymore.

Now it should take place onboard the train or in worst case at Hyllie station in Sweden, before it was both at Kastrup and Hyllie.

In theory the passport control should happen during the crossing but the police in Sweden has warned that they don´t have the manpower to do it so as stated, expect the control to take place in Hyllie.

On June 1, 2017. I went to Malmo from Copenhagen for the day. There was no passport check. The were two ticket inspectors on board to check tickets. Same day round trip ticket costs 178K. We took bus no. 2 to go see Turning Torso. Bus no. 2 stops right in front of the building. At Copenhagen central station, platform 5 is the train to Malmo . Check with train conductor first. Return from Malmo is track 1B.

Washroom in Malmo train station is 10SEK. You can also pay with Denmark Kroner but no coin.

Train crossing the bridge is no big deal for me. I am not impressed.

Edited by truel1111