Don't miss on 1st time in Athens?

mackie

Hi! We're going to be in Athens for a couple of days pre-cruise in the fall.

Suggestions for don't miss sites/restaurants, please?

Thanks!

Mackie

We spent 2 days pre-cruise in Athens a number of years ago. We stayed at a boutique hotel, Fresh Hotel. Whenever we are in a city we have not visited before, we like to take the Hop On Hop Off bus. So on the first day, we stayed on the bus for the entire tour, to get the lay of the land, and then on the next go around, we got off at places that seemed the most interesting. The bus stopped at all the major sites ... the Acropolis, Parthenon, etc..

On our second day, we spent most of the day in the Plaka area ... shopping, eating, shopping, eating. I cannot remember the name of the restaurant we went to one evening that had an amazing view of the Acropolis at night. We had lunch one day at Daphne's. It wasn't a destination, but we just happened upon it.

The biggest must-see, of course, is the Acropolis and all the wonderful buildings on it. As well, I recommend the nearby Acropolis museum.

The Greek Agora would be next on my list -- it is included with your Acropolis ticket and includes the extremely well-preserved Temple of Hephasteon as well as a charming small museum with a few very interesting items.

The Roman Agora (Forum) is next door and it is worth a visit if only for the "one of a kind" Tower of the Winds.

The Theatre of Dionysus (on the slope of the Acropolis) -- likely the world's first theatre... (Also included in your Acropolis ticket)

The Temple of Olympian Zeus -- huge temple started by the Greeks and finished by the Romans.

The National Archaeological Museum -- must see museum with the absolute BEST objects from ancient Greece and Rome gathered from all parts of modern Greece. Includes the gold from Mycenae, wonderful statues in bronze and marble, and the anti-Kythera mechanism (look it up).

The Changing of the Guard didn't do much for me, but if you're at Syntagma Square on a Sunday morning, you get the full panoply and it's a little more impressive.

I find the Plaka very touristy for shopping, but at night you can find some pretty good, typical Greek food. Try to find a rooftop restaurant or bar with a view of the Acropolis for at least one dinner or drink. You can go to the top of the Grande Bretagne hotel (an experience in itself) for a pre-dinner cocktail.

• 2 weeks later...

I have enjoyed staying at the Athens Gate hotel twice; it's modern, well located, and fairly reasonable. Great views from upper level rooms and the rooftop restaurant where breakfast is served.

I was also lucky enough to get a great rate at the Grande Bretagne, the "grande dame" of hotels in Athens. While I loved the hotel, I like the Athens Gate location better (and 99% of the time, the price is much better...!)

When you purchase your ticket at the Acropolis there is a multi-pass ticket that has the majority of the greek ruins on it that you should see. I believe these are what are available on the ticket.

Acropolis, Agora, Hadrian's Library/Roman Agora, Hadrian's Arch, Temple to Olympic Zeus and Kerimikos Cemetery/Potter Sites.

We did manage to see all of these but the Cemetery in one day! You have to go to the Acropolis Museum. It's not included on this pass but it is worth the admission price. It's only 5 Euros per person. We also hired a taxi to take us to Corinth and the surrounding countryside for a day our first full day in Athens. It was wonderful. My best advice is to go to the Acropolis first thing in the morning when it opens. Beat the crowds. :)