Monte Carlo/Sanremo

sabbo55

I didn't know which thread to post this under..France or Italy.

We will be in Monte Carlo for one day, until 10pm. I'd like to spend some time in Italy. Any comments on Sanremo?

Thanks

Went through San Remo during a driving trip and the town did seem worthy of a visit (we were on our way south...and did not stop). Getting there from Monte Carlo would be relatively easy using either the train or with a rental car. A car would give you lots of flexibility and you could also spend some time in Menton.

Hank

San Remo is well worth visiting and 50 minutes from Monaco on the autoroute/autostrada. The old town section, called La Pigna, is fascinating.

Also consider going to the towns of Dolceacqua and Apricale, half way between Monaco and San Remo. Both fabulous medieval towns. Look them up. Dolceacqua is one hour from Monaco and Apricale is a few minutes up the hill from there. There is an excellent restaurant in Apricale called La Capanna da Baci. A must.

You need to rent a car. Most trains from France into Liguria require that you change trains in Ventimiglia. And there are no trains going to Dolceaqua and Apricale if you choose to do that. You have such a long day in port that you could easily visit all three places. Go to San Remo first and then take the shore road (SS1) back and make the detour to Dolceacqua. The turn off (SP64) is 45 minutes from San Remo, half way between Bordighera and Ventimiglia and then it takes 15 minutes to get there.

I also think it would be great to visit San Remo - it's fascinating and used to be visited much more commonly than it is today by Riviera travelers - maybe because they just visit in other places in Italy, I think - not because of anything amiss with San Remo as you've heard in previous posts. Much to see/enjoy.

If you do go, let us know what you think, how you enjoyed it, what you did. Not so many visitors to this board ever post about visiting San Remo so it would be great to have your contribution when you return.

Ciao :)