Curious about Argostoli

ILUVPOMS

Specifically, their port facilities. We are on a 12 day, port intensive itinerary and thinking about skipping this port to rest. If we tender, is it worth just going to walk around in the port/town?

Thanks for your advice. I searched Argostoli, but no mentions of this.

Specifically, their port facilities. We are on a 12 day, port intensive itinerary and thinking about skipping this port to rest. If we tender, is it worth just going to walk around in the port/town?

Thanks for your advice. I searched Argostoli, but no mentions of this.

My wife and I visited Argostoli this week We did not know what to expect.

We found a delightful city with many charms on a delightful island!! The movie Captain Correli's Mandolin was filmed here.

There is a dock--it is large enough for 1 large cruise ship.

Thanks for the answers on Argostoli. Our cruise will leave from Venice and go to Argostoli, Olympia, Naplion, Athens (overnight), then on to Mykonos, Ephesus, Santorini, Naples and finally Rome. With only 2 sea days and heavy walking at the other ports, we were looking for a port to skip. While we like the idea of seeing some naturals wonders, our bodies may appreciate a day of rest instead.

A short day, with a couple of hours shopping and maybe having lunch and enjoying the view would work. But we weren't sure if it was worth it, especially since this is listed as a tender port.

Of the ports you list, I would skip Mykonos. I haven't been to Olympia or Naflpion so I can't speak for those ports, but I've been to all of the other ports.

In Mykonos, there are really 3 things to do:

(1) Take a ferry to Delos to see some terrific ruins

(2) Take a photo with the windmills

(3) Take a photo of Little Venice.

You're already going to Venice so Little Venice isn't really necessary. You'll see even better ruins in Ephesus (take the Terrace houses tour), Naples (if going to Pompei) and Athens. You'll see great windmills in Oia on Santorini.

You won't see anything like Melissani Cave Lake on any of your other ports of call, unless you take a ferry to Capri from Naples to see the Blue Grotto. And even then, there might be high tide which would make going into the Blue Grotto impossible...

So my vote would be to take it easy in Mykonos, and keep Argostoli to see Melissani Cave Lake and Myrtos Beach.

Edited by leongcpa

• 2 weeks later...
My wife and I visited Argostoli this week We did not know what to expect.

We found a delightful city with many charms on a delightful island!! The movie Captain Correli's Mandolin was filmed here.

Although the filming where they are supposed to be in Argostoli was actually done in Sami as it looks more like wartime Argostoli.

Naflpion is a lovely little town, and there are some very interesting self guided walks you can download.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I would miss the second day in Athens (can see the highlights in one day) or Mykonos (nice town- nothing amazing), or even Santorini (hours wasted getting up and down the lift) or Atlantis (not much of the ruins left- bit disappointing) over Argostoli if rest was more important than seeing stunning scenery or sites. Maybe you are old and need the day off?

Get another couple and hire a taxi. Go to the Cave, stop and look at the stunning beach views. Have coffee at the lovely little town where they filmed Captain Corelli's Mandolin. No walking, quite a relaxing shorter day.

• 1 month later...

Of course, recommendations mean little when you don't have an idea of what is interesting to someone. I would NEVER advise skipping a second day in Athens (having spent about 10 days there on various trips, I am still finding fascinating new things to see...) or not visiting Delos, one of the most important sites in both Greek and Roman history because there are "better" ruins elsewhere.....well, those wouldn't be my choices. But then caves and scenery mean little to me...:cool:

I've been to Capri several times but I spend my time visiting the Roman ruins there, not going to the blue Grotto....

Thank you all for your responses. It is nice to know that this stop has some beautiful scenery.

Since my husband majored in Antiqities in college, the ruins are our top priorities this trip and the main reason we picked this itinerary. I can't imagine his reaction if I suggested skipping Mykonos/Delos or a 2nd day in Athens. I just wish we didn't have 8 ports in a row. Gonna be busy!!