East side of the island

BlondieB

I've been to Cozumel many times and Mr. Sanchos is always the go-to but they will be closed for a private event when we're there. Plan was to just go to Paradise Beach but thought about seeing the east side of the island which I've never seen. Say we wanted to go to Playa Bonita for an hour or two and then to Paradise Beach. How easy is it going to be to get a taxi at Playa over to PB? While I'd love to rent a jeep, I know we'll be drinking and Mexican jail is not a bucket list item ;p. And, what is approximate cost of taxi to Playa Bonita?

You can take a taxi to Playa Bonita. Not sure what you'd do there other than eat and have a drink or two. But you'll need to arrange with the taxi driver to come back and pick you up. if the driver waits you might get charged a waiting charge. Another option is to hire a driver for the day from Tours Plaza (see posts and threads on this board). That driver can take you where you want to go and stay with you. Economical if 4 or more in party.

Do the Cozumel Bar Hop. It will take you to 4 different bars on that side of island and return you back safely.

We don't want to be stuck with a tour and a bunch of people in a van/bus, especially when everyone's hammered by the end of the day, that's the problem. We'll probably just hire a taxi. Thanks though.

We don't want to be stuck with a tour and a bunch of people in a van/bus, especially when everyone's hammered by the end of the day, that's the problem. We'll probably just hire a taxi. Thanks though.

We went to Mezcalito's last year. I love the east side of the island and plan to return when we are there next month. Despite the rougher water, the area is beautiful and there are far less crowds.

I agree the idea of being stuck in a van tour with a bunch of drunk cruise passengers does not sound appealing. However, I will 2nd what someone else suggested, try and arrange a return taxi when you are dropped off. There were long stretches of time where a taxi did not pass by. I imagine if you head further away from town (toward Coconuts, etc.) that it may even be a bit more difficult.

I've been to Cozumel many times and Mr. Sanchos is always the go-to but they will be closed for a private event when we're there. Plan was to just go to Paradise Beach but thought about seeing the east side of the island which I've never seen. Say we wanted to go to Playa Bonita for an hour or two and then to Paradise Beach. How easy is it going to be to get a taxi at Playa over to PB? While I'd love to rent a jeep, I know we'll be drinking and Mexican jail is not a bucket list item ;p. And, what is approximate cost of taxi to Playa Bonita?

There are drivers outside of the gate that can accommodate your schedule. My husband and I, and our friends were charged $20 per person for 4 hours with a private driver. We basically told him the places we wanted to visit and he brought us. He also made a few recommendations and shared some interesting stories. Hands down this was our best visit ever to Cozumel. We tipped him double the fare, as he went above & beyond our expectations.

There are drivers outside of the gate that can accommodate your schedule. My husband and I, and our friends were charged $20 per person for 4 hours with a private driver. We basically told him the places we wanted to visit and he brought us. He also made a few recommendations and shared some interesting stories. Hands down this was our best visit ever to Cozumel. We tipped him double the fare, as he went above & beyond our expectations.

Thank you, I think that's going to be the plan is just to find a taxi and arrange a schedule.

Just rent a car. Its 25 dollars a day and you can come and go as you please. I have been going to cancun/cozumel for 36 years and have never had a problem.

We considered that and then remembered we like to drink so that's not really an option. ;p

• 8 months later...